First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Higher octane allows your engine to run at advanced timing creating more power...
And run at optimum efficiency.

I see a moderate increase in mileage as well (5-7%), doing the math makes the price increase associated with premium pretty much a wash. So if price is a wash, why choose the lower?
Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's the misconception-- it is not the best gas for the engine. It's all marketing by the gas companies that want us to believe that. If 87 was the wrong fuel Ford would not recommend it as an acceptable fuel. If they said premium fuel only then the debate would be over. Fuel quality matters more than octane. if your not pinging --then your running the best fuel for you vehicle. Octane only prevents per-ignition it has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel.
But Ford (not the gas companies) says to run premium to get the most horsepower out of the engine, so I wouldn't spend thousands more on the V6 and then not spend a few hundred a year on the gas to get the most out of the engine. ;) The bottom line is, that when you look at the actual difference in cost to run premium over regular, it is a fraction of a percent of ownership.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

😳 2.7L. Just paid $4.11 per. Am I waisting my money?
same engine and same as you gone with premium since the start (4500 miles so far) ... except that I've been using premium at Costco for $3.69 a gallon

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Last edited:

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The thing is the engine and electronics are designed to operate on higher octane premium fuel. When knock is detected the electronics pulls timing (maybe even closes throttle and/or adds fuel). This only happens when AFTER knock is detected so the engine experiences knock (always a bad thing) more often with lower grade/octane fuel (the electronics are always trying to go back to base premium fuel settings so this happens over and over). If ya drive like a grandpa this will seldom be an issue and since the electronics are so fast the knock is minimized quickly so the mileage required to actually cause serious engine damage will be high enough to not be a warranty issue or even any issue for most owners, But it is at least a concern especially if pushing the hp/torque limits very often (where knock may happen even with premium fuel).
But of course, you do you...

John Auer

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Nautilus, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m confused. Octane isn’t about power. Its all about preventing compression based pre-ignition knock. Pre-ignition knock creates havoc in you engine including knocking a hole in the top of a piston.

And the Bronco requires minimum 87 Octane

Ref Owners manual, pg 167.
https://www.fordservicecontent.com/...Owners-Manual-version-1_om_EN_USA_10_2021.pdf

FUEL QUALITY
SELECTING THE CORRECT FUEL
Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.

Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer (page 283).

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage. We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance. For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com.

Edit.
This is clear as mud. 87 Octane? 91 Octane? So which is it?

With that said do be cognizant of engine knock. I know of a fleet of engines run without key additives / ingredients in the fuel. That lead to carbon buildup in relatively new engines. And that carbon buildup, led to unexpected knock.
I think most of the manual is written by lawyers.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

😳 2.7L. Just paid $4.11 per. Am I waisting my money?
You will lose some 30 or so horses. My experience with a 2.3l is 4 to 5 more MPG. tested this variously on a 4k trip to the west coast and I can say that I was convinced. Nothing can help you going uphill into a headwind, though. I had several hours at 24MPG avg, and I mean most of the day. Run it dry and note your miles driven per fillup. I will admit to driving in ECO mode and keeping the RPMs below 2k for part of that.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think most of the manual is written by lawyers.
Agreed, and yet higher octane produces higher HP. Look at fords specs for the 2.3l. 275 hp on 87, 300 on 93. Hot rodders use av gas for a reason.

Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

choppersean

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands Sasquatch, 2-door, EG, 2.7, Auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Asylumchild

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With 2500 miles I’ve run mainly 87 with a few fill ups with premium. Sport mode with premium it’s super peppy. Even in a 4 door, SAS, 2.3. Really like the sound of the turbo.
I was hearing the sound of the turbo, which I thought was how it was made. Until my check engine light came on and they found the hoses to the turbo were lose. The sound I was hearing was air leaking out the house when I stepped on it. haha I no longer hear the turbos now that the hoses are fixed. Not sure if thats same case for you though...

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
But Ford (not the gas companies) says to run premium to get the most horsepower out of the engine, so I wouldn't spend thousands more on the V6 and then not spend a few hundred a year on the gas to get the most out of the engine. ;) The bottom line is, that when you look at the actual difference in cost to run premium over regular, it is a fraction of a percent of ownership.
No doubt in the cost is minute at best. To me it is more about buying something you do not need and paying extra for it. I have over 100K on ecoboost motors and can tell you other than towing and working them hard (off road on the rev limiter) I have not seen any appreciable difference in the power based on premium or regular) nor have I really head any pinging--even towing a heavy trailer. If you are always in the throttle hard--driving in sport mode or aggressive driving then you may notice a wee bit-- but an addition 20 hp in a vehicle weighing 4500lbs is almost negligible as well. The HP peak on a 2.7 is up around 5500 rpm. Now if you want to see a difference-- particularly in MPG use ethanol free 90 octane however that two is a balance between cost and MPG increase.

Philvis77

Black Diamond
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm probably doing 85% city driving. At first I was using premium and then switched back to regular. I personally didn't notice any difference in gas mileage. Last I checked I was averaging 16.5 mpg in normal mode. I have the 2-door 2.7l Badlands. Only negative thing I have to say about it so far is the horrible gas mileage. Thankfully I'm work from home, so I'm not getting beat up financially on a daily commute!
Sponsored