Sponsored

Dumb Tire Question - why change stock Sasquatch tires for new ones?

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't have deep pockets. When they wear out I'll replace them with Coopers...
Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

These tires do perform just fine on-road, no complaints. They are, however, marginal at best off-road. It's not just an opinion when I can post pics of them completely clogged up from just soft soil.

If you're citing your time at the Off-Roadeo as your main source of experience with these tires, I'm sorry to tell you but you don't know a lot about them. I have about 6000 miles on my Bronco with several trips to the off-road park and direct comparison to similar vehicles with different tires in the same situations. Pair that with about 20 years off-roading experience, I kinda know what I'm talking about.

Sure Ford did testing, but off-road performance was AT LEAST 3rd in line as far as consideration (behind the deal GY gave them and the on-road noise level).

Fanboy GY if you want, but these tires don't perform well off-road where grip is critical to overcome an obstacle.
When You give your ā€œexperienceā€ and finish it with ā€œI kinda know what I am talking aboutā€ itā€™s blatantly obvious you donā€™t. Reread what I said you quoted. I never said The GY are the best off road tire and I have significantly more experience than just the off-rodeo with them. As I said itā€™s an excellent bridge tire because itā€™s more than decent off road and it has very good on road manners and is good in snow/ice/rain. Iā€™m not a GY fanboy But I know a good tire when I see it. For 90% of off road situations this tire is fine. And the other 10% itā€™s marginal, where thus tire excels is on road with its quiet, ride, and handling. You are more than welcome to drive around with loud, poor handling tires on road if you want and heck letā€™s throw in a E load rating to really fuck up the ride. You lost a lot of credibility when you started throwing out broad ignorant assumptions coupled with your OPINION you try to state as fact.

Cat

Wildtrak
First Name
Cat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MB500SL, HD Road King Custom
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm loving the Goodyears. I like the sassy wheels too. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I feel like now that I have a few thousand miles, the Goodyears aren't picking up the rocks as bad.
Hey Neighbor! Whidbey Island here.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

The Goodyears are actually pretty good off road. Do fine in the Texas clay, mud, sand, everything we can throw at them they spit out just fine. But fuck they throw rocks like crazy, kinda ugly, and pretty small for a ā€œ35ā€. When I replace them it wonā€™t be because of performance.

Last edited:

badclam

Raptor
First Name
Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor,22 Raptor 37pp,23 F350 CCLB 6.7PS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Sponsored

zane8stacks

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ram rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You see, completely clogged, and that's not even in mud, just slightly damp soil.​
Screenshot_20220202-135132_Gallery.jpg

I'm changing my stock SAS and good years for some method 703's and some nittos. My main reason is seeing some of the paint and fender damage the stock tires are throwing. plus i can sell my stock takeoffs with tires, and come out essentially just paying the cost of the wheels anyways. I will just be front loading my cost until i sell them.

y0qmu84.jpg

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Why change tires?

Some of us have our likes and dislikes that come from experience in the environment we use them. Tires make or break a vehicle. All the performance a vehicle has goes through the tires. The wrong tires and it really doesn't matter what else you got.

You ever notice smells can bring brief happiness? Saddle leather, gun oil, new tires, etc. I'd guess 99% of drivers never think of their tires unless there's a problem, but that 1%, we think about tires way too much.

On the subject of OEM tires, they are rarely the best at anything. They are a good, average tire for most uses that come at a certain price point. Don't think OEM tires are the best tires that could have come on your vehicle. That doesn't mean they are bad, but they are probably not ideal for specific uses.

nicknasty

Big Bend
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The non-LT Ridge Grapplers (285/70R17 for instance) are much lighter than their LT cousins. I put the non-LTā€™s on my Bender; and LOVE them.

Ford Bronco Dumb Tire Question - why change stock Sasquatch tires for new ones? y0qmu84
That setup looks GREAT. Did you do any type of level/lift or any wheel spacers? I want to upgrade the tires on my non-sas bend as well, mainly for aesthetic reasons and not necessarily to increase performance. I would imagine I would take it off-road <10 times a year. Dumb question as I'm kind of new to all of this - could we fit 315 tires on non-sas big bends? Or would that be overdoing it? Like I said it would be mainly for looks. Thanks in advance!

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When You give your ā€œexperienceā€ and finish it with ā€œI kinda know what I am talking aboutā€ itā€™s blatantly obvious you donā€™t. Reread what I said you quoted. I never said The GY are the best off road tire and I have significantly more experience than just the off-rodeo with them. As I said itā€™s an excellent bridge tire because itā€™s more than decent off road and it has very good on road manners and is good in snow/ice/rain. Iā€™m not a GY fanboy But I know a good tire when I see it. For 90% of off road situations this tire is fine. And the other 10% itā€™s marginal, where thus tire excels is on road with its quiet, ride, and handling. You are more than welcome to drive around with loud, poor handling tires on road if you want and heck letā€™s throw in a E load rating to really fuck up the ride. You lost a lot of credibility when you started throwing out broad ignorant assumptions coupled with your OPINION you try to state as fact.
My "I kinda know what I'm talking about" comment was a snarky response to your snarky "appreciate your OPINION" comment.

What makes my comments not just opinions is the fact that I can post evidence to support them.

Here's another pic of the tire's terrible performance. You can see I've not gone through some big mud hole or anything like that, there is no mud on the fenders, body, or wheels, just a clogged up slick of a tire with ZERO traction. Only MT tire I've ever owned that couldn't clear out mud at any level.

You see proof I DO know what I'm talking about....

Ford Bronco Dumb Tire Question - why change stock Sasquatch tires for new ones? Screenshot_20220203-053658_Gallery

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I recently saw a brand new 4 door Bronco Badlands- Sasquatch in a grocery store parking lot. The tires and wheels were changed out to a size 35 X 12.50-16 or 17, I think, on new wheels, including the spare. Did not notice the brand of the wheels though. I would have stared longer although my wife was already giving me looks.......

So I was wondering the same thing, although have to admit I liked the look over stock 35's tires and wheels. A little more aggressive.

Sponsored

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a video (from a different day) where I'm super struggling for traction. I was aired down to like 12.5, still had to bump over every single little ledge.

Two Jeeps went right up this trail with no issue before me. 1 had 37" Pitbull Rockers but no lockers, open diff front and rear. The other Jeep (my dad) was a Rubi with 35" Pitbull Rockers. Tires 1000% made all the difference.

SupremoSombrero

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang Shelby GT500
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That setup looks GREAT. Did you do any type of level/lift or any wheel spacers? I want to upgrade the tires on my non-sas bend as well, mainly for aesthetic reasons and not necessarily to increase performance. I would imagine I would take it off-road <10 times a year. Dumb question as I'm kind of new to all of this - could we fit 315 tires on non-sas big bends? Or would that be overdoing it? Like I said it would be mainly for looks. Thanks in advance!
Thanks for the compliment. Iā€™m pleased with the results and how inexpensive it was to go from ā€˜meekā€™ to badass. 1.25ā€ wheel spacers (blue anodized) and those lightweight 285/70R17 tires. Go for it!

7F6D1F4F-B0CF-4699-95D6-554E08A750FA.jpeg

Macjr

Black Diamond
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad, 2020 Volvo xc40 RDesign
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For winter time driving on snow and ice they are excellent! Far superior to BFG's or other 3 peak all-terrain tires. Only tires that beat them in winter on hard packed snow or ice are dedicated winter tires like Blizzaks or studded tires. That said they are soft and seem to wear out quickly. Mine will be removed and stored for next winter as soon as the snow stops coming. Best of both worlds....sasquatch for the winter and a dedicated mud-terrain for summer. Better performance all year long and you keep tread wear to a minimum.
May do the same, stock SAS setup does have good traction in snow. May go to Fifteen52 Analog hd for summer setup

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I thought the BF KO/KM were the goto tire for off-roading, yet nobody mentioned them and everyone seems to be talking about the Nito's

Did I miss something?
Sponsored