Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You have to understand context. Everything 'in the works' today is predicated on an extension of one of society's mega-trends: urbanization. I forget the exact percentages, but I think USA has gone from ~3% urban to ~55% urban in the last 100 years.

But will that continue??? Urban centers are fast becoming shitholes. Carbon-capture...Covid...Technology...many large employers have already announced a somewhat permanent 'work-from-home' structure.

If you think EVs rule the future, you should invest in some downtown office buildings.
https://www.census.gov/programs-surveys/geography/guidance/geo-areas/urban-rural/ua-facts.html
Ford Bronco Ford CEO Jim Farley Confirms ICE Future for the Bronco and Mustang Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 2.34.08 PM
Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Anybody that thinks it will be less than 20 years before electric vehicles are relevant is delusional.
Probably true but nice to see a commitment to ICE still unlike GM

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anybody that thinks it will be less than 20 years before electric vehicles are relevant is delusional.
They are relevant now in some respects.

But anyone that thinks that ICE engines will be 100% dead in 20 years is delusional.

ROKBRNC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ on tons, 1970 Bronco, 2019 Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m not a fan, nor not a fan of EV’s since I’m ok with OEM’s giving customers a choice. EV’s and ICE vehicles have their place and appeal depending upon your geographic location, but with that being said, I could just as easily ride a bicycle to most places if I lived in the city and was that concerned about greenhouse gasses. However, if I lived in rural America, which I do…I still require a vehicle that can haul/tow up to 25k lbs and do so for distances greater than 400 miles that do not require I spend 45mins to and hour to recharge before continuing to my destination and to get back to where I started. Not to mention that based on most of my research, a lot of the EV mfg’s have a subscription based charging plan available but when you breakdown the initial cost, plus charging cost, maintenance and replacement batteries it seems like a very costly option, unless you just turn over your vehicle every 3-5 years.

Bottomline, I agree that consumers should have a choice, I don’t agree with mandates, policies and OEM’s that are making that choice for the consumer by limiting what someone can and cannot purchase.

sshurts

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
misc, no jeep or bronco at this time.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How will most apartment complex's handle charging all tenants cars every night? Up the service amperage, then up the utilities to handle the extra loads? I don't buy it until I see the utility companies dumping money into the infrastructure to support 80% or greater ownership of EV's.
Very fair point and not clear when it will be an advantage for an apartment to offer this. There are reserved parking spots and maybe some apartment complex will start offering some as an add on with charging for a price. People won't miss spending their time and money going to gas stations. Also, opportunity to make money for the owners.

Unrelated but a story I saw. Some taco bell added charging stations. People buy food and buy electricity. Think like how many grocery stores have fast food places in their parking lots (hey Home Depot too).

Also, saw that a gas station added some charging stations. Comment was made that the owner made more money from electric charging than gas.

Only way to know the pace of change is seeing it (but there is science around s-curve adoption rates).

Sponsored

sshurts

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
misc, no jeep or bronco at this time.
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m not a fan, nor not a fan of EV’s since I’m ok with OEM’s giving customers a choice. EV’s and ICE vehicles have their place and appeal depending upon your geographic location, but with that being said, I could just as easily ride a bicycle to most places if I lived in the city and was that concerned about greenhouse gasses. However, if I lived in rural America, which I do…I still require a vehicle that can haul/tow up to 25k lbs and do so for distances greater than 400 miles that do not require I spend 45mins to and hour to recharge before continuing to my destination and to get back to where I started. Not to mention that based on most of my research, a lot of the EV mfg’s have a subscription based charging plan available but when you breakdown the initial cost, plus charging cost, maintenance and replacement batteries it seems like a very costly option, unless you just turn over your vehicle every 3-5 years.

Bottomline, I agree that consumers should have a choice, I don’t agree with mandates, policies and OEM’s that are making that choice for the consumer by limiting what someone can and cannot purchase.

Absolutely agree that choice is the key (without coercion by govt.). That said, the price curve of batteries and EVs is real. The Total Cost of Ownership is real as is shown by maintenance and fuel costs too. Latest I'm hearing about battery lifetime expectation is pushing toward 1Million miles.

We will see when an industrial version of the cyber truck meets your stated requirements. I do know that Pepsi has purchased some of the first Electric Semis.

Anyway, good conversation and we shall see.

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very fair point and not clear when it will be an advantage for an apartment to offer this. There are reserved parking spots and maybe some apartment complex will start offering some as an add on with charging for a price. People won't miss spending their time and money going to gas stations. Also, opportunity to make money for the owners.

Unrelated but a story I saw. Some taco bell added charging stations. People buy food and buy electricity. Think like how many grocery stores have fast food places in their parking lots (hey Home Depot too).

Also, saw that a gas station added some charging stations. Comment was made that the owner made more money from electric charging than gas.

Only way to know the pace of change is seeing it (but there is science around s-curve adoption rates).
Both my last job and my current job have ev chargers. They're popping up everywhere. As charging speeds and battery capacity increase so will adoption, but it will take time

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

And the people who reserved over a year before you, starting July 14, 2020, and still have no Bronco, get the shaft.
At least I have a pony or two lol

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Both my last job and my current job have ev chargers. They're popping up everywhere. As charging speeds and battery capacity increase so will adoption, but it will take time
need a better standard also, we are in the Beta vs VHS era with charging.

TurboS957

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Raptor, 2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This is great news, our rookie mountain trails will already be cluddered enough with dead Hummers.

Sponsored

Exomodo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have yet to buy anything but used vehicles, not a single electric vehicle was ever considered because they weren't available second hand. The secondary market will exist as long as gasoline is sold. That will be a long, long time, longer than I can imagine living.

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not slowing down on ICE vehicles

Ford, however, has no plans to curb production of its gasoline-powered vehicles.
“We continue to see a lot of opportunity in the ICE business,” said Lawler, who called it a “strategic advantage.”

Farley noted the company would increasingly focus its ICE business around products with passionate owners, like Bronco SUVs or Mustang sports cars."

https://www.autonews.com/manufactur...m_campaign=20220203&utm_content=hero-headline
Ive always said ever since the EV trend kicked off, 1/2 ton trucks, sports cars and enthusiasts vehicles (Bronco) will have a ICE until they are made illegal by the EPA. Or the limits make it too hard.
yes there will be hybrid and EV versions, but a stand alone ICE will be available so long the market wants it and the Epa allows it.

JTBros

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR Corolla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There’s no doubt the EV wave is coming whether people like it or not. The latest infrastructure bill looks to heavily improve on our grids so they can support more cars. It’s not going to be today, or tomorrow, but 10 years? I see there being an incredible amount of EVs on the road. Sales of EVs increased by 83% globally last year. Up 168% from 2019. That’s a massive number and sure they’re a small share of the market overall currently but the rate they’re increasing is higher than any ICE.
Regarding who will win the EV race - Bill Ford just said 'It's all going to come down to who can understand the customer, how they live their life, and what they're looking for in a vehicle'. Not only has Ford lost that race - they're dead last.
Ford is far from “losing” the EV race. The Mustang Mach-E (sorry for triggering anyone who hates the name lol) is a very enticing product with good cargo room, available, AWD, and good range. Plus there’s plenty of power offered from the GT trim. And they’re also coming out with a proper EV pickup and are going to be the first legacy manufacturer to do so. So not sure how that means they’re “losing.”

Clem

Wildtrak
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
@sshurts My post was not referring to costs for the complexes but for the additional infrastructure required to support an increased load on the electrical utility. The NEC now has sections for EV charging but it wasn't so years ago. Load calcs did not consider EV charging at commercial or residential locations. Multi family dwelling load calculations are used to size things such as transformers, Service conductors, etc. I'm sure that most done in the past were not sized with the thought of having 200 + EV's charging overnight and adding additional load to the service conductors, transformers and disconnects. You can only add so many 30 amp circuits before things get overloaded if it was never part of the original calculation. That's the part of the puzzle that few people are talking about when pushing EV's. Carry that back to the substations providing the juice and the puzzle grows larger.
Another situation would be fleet vehicles and or personal work related company vehicles. I have a gas card right now so it's easy. I can recharge at a fueling station with an EV on a card and that's easy as well. What happens when I charge my company vehicle at home because I couldn't get to a roadside fueling station? Does my employer pay an itemized portion of my energy bill? Do they do that same thing for the other 80 employees? It can get tricky and it's all just talking points that need to be considered.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.