Sponsored

Hardtop pricing from Ford for those that switched to soft top.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some possible types of ignorance here:
1. Assuming something is true even though you havent used it, seen it, or evaluated it in person,
2. Having incomplete information or heresay, as in not havimg data as to how many hardtops have been sold, how many of those are problem free for their owners, versus how many hardtop owners have definable defects with their hardtops that should be repaired
3. Failing to distinguish between Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 hardtops in discussing the issues
4. Generalizing from a small number of reports, either by assuming that the "numerous" reports on this forum are truly "numerous" compared to the number of Gen 2 units sold; or assuming that the fine units experienced by owners are representative of the group as a whole.

So without hard data of numbers, one has to be careful extrapolating a few problem reports to the whole, especially when "blissful" orners are not likely to report at all, in a forum whose most active respondants seem to be those who are still waiting for their vehicles.
And vise versa. You donā€™t have ā€œhard dataā€ on most being issue free do you? Are we supposed to assume a few reports from a forum means MIC 2.0 is a trouble free version?
Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Please dont take this the wrong way, but I'm not quite sure why they would do anything to "help" out people that chose to switch to a soft top to get their truck faster. It was a choice and arguably if they did something for those people, are they going to do something for those of us that have waited so long with the MIC on our order? Nope, again because it was our choice. Just my observation.
They already gave you and I boocoup extra 200000 pass points for switching, nowhere equal to price discount

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 4Runner, ā€˜16 BMW 328i, ā€˜96 Stang GT, ā€˜19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What Ford did was level with you and say, ā€œhey, the hard tops are a constraint, but if youā€™d like a vehicle sooner, you can order it in soft topā€. Thatā€™s all you should get. Iā€™m not expecting a half priced tow package next year simply because I dropped mine to get my Bronco faster.

My plan with the soft top is to be thankful itā€™s set up for a hard top, wait about three years while enjoying my soft top, and then look at the proven after-market stuff and make another free, informed decision.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Curious if you feel any drag with just leaving the clam shell on?
No, surprisingly, not. Although, i haven't been above 55mph in that configuration. I expected some wind buffetting, but none! And in conversations with a couple of other HT users, we like this configuration so much, getting a soft top seems unnecessary (except for top storage issues when on a trip away from home). Opening the front and mid panels seems open enough, that taking the rear off seems too much work, at least for now. Id love a Sunrider that covers front and mid rows. So far. Front panels you can do solo, the mid panel requires two people, although I've done it alone (using beach towels for slide protectors).

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Youā€™re one of the lucky ones. There are numerous stories of those not so lucky.
And I guess Iā€™m ā€œtwoā€ of the lucky ones, mine looks and performs great!

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They already gave you and I boocoup extra 200000 pass points for switching, nowhere equal to price discount
Right, so you are agreeing with me? Hard telling.

Last edited:

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And I guess Iā€™m ā€œtwoā€ of the lucky ones, mine looks and performs great!
I did say lucky ā€œonesā€ which means more than one. šŸ˜†
I didnā€™t put any number or percentage of tops with issues. I just said there are numerous reports on here with issues on MIC 2.0 tops. If you do a search- there are. Iā€™m sure there are more without issues than do, but it doesnā€™t negate those that do have issues.

Kmcran

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I definitely didn't get $1200 worth of FordPass points, I got the standard 42,000 points that anyone that links a car to FordPass gets. Went through my emails, looks like I was supposed to get another 20,000 points for waiting. I will contact ford customer service to see if I can get those.
The bonus points are supposed to be claimed
for you from the portal by your dealer. I just called about it yesterday because i still havenā€™t gotten mine either lol

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And vise versa. You donā€™t have ā€œhard dataā€ on most being issue free do you? Are we supposed to assume a few reports from a forum means MIC 2.0 is a trouble free version?
I think you've summed it up pretty well, you have to be carefully suspicious, but some have made the generalization that the MIC 2 tops are terrible. I'm simply pointing our that many are fine, and for some of us, waiting for a MIC top is a great option, and shouldn't be excluded as an option.

I'm sure you've read the stories on some "blown" 2.7 engines. Someone here actually compiled the data on those, a great service, and others are investigating whether its a part-related to a certain Mfg time. Its good to know about, but the percentage of 2.7 ECO that have needed replacement is very small.

Although we dont have number data on the MIC top, the two are analogous, in that a few bad engines doesnt mean you shouldnt order that engine . . . So far. Ive seen the MIC construction having repaired one. Personally, I'd rather have a cosmetic snakeskin problem on a MIC (i can paint, wrap or dip it) than own a thin, flimsy OEM soft top year round. I'm just saying, keep an open mind, be careful about generalizing. do what works for you.

I hope you get yours soon, if you haven't.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

R

Right tattoo, so you are agreeing with me? Hard telling.
Did you elect to give up a hard top of any type and take delivery with a softie.....by the deadline? Then, like me, you would have saved anywhere from 1200-1900 on MSRP, plus received 200,000 bonus points.

I could have left my order as it was, with price protection, but no guarantee of production with a modular painted top anytime soon.

So if you are driving your Bronco. I agree with you. And if not, that too.

What I am saying is, Ford apologized as best they could, gave us a limited time to change our orders to get 2021s, and followed through with the equivalent of $1000 which when coupled with 15% off accessory sale worked out to a little more

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think you've summed it up pretty well, you have to be carefully suspicious, but some have made the generalization that the MIC 2 tops are terrible. I'm simply pointing our that many are fine, and for some of us, waiting for a MIC top is a great option, and shouldn't be excluded as an option.

I'm sure you've read the stories on some "blown" 2.7 engines. Someone here actually compiled the data on those, a great service, and others are investigating whether its a part-related to a certain Mfg time. Its good to know about, but the percentage of 2.7 ECO that have needed replacement is very small.

Although we dont have number data on the MIC top, the two are analogous, in that a few bad engines doesnt mean you shouldnt order that engine . . . So far. Ive seen the MIC construction having repaired one. Personally, I'd rather have a cosmetic snakeskin problem on a MIC (i can paint, wrap or dip it) than own a thin, flimsy OEM soft top year round. I'm just saying, keep an open mind, be careful about generalizing. do what works for you.

Agreed. I ordered a soft top because I wanted a soft top. I love the ease of opening up the top compared to a hard top. I park in a garage so the top should last quite awhile compared to someone parking outside in the NE. The soft top is not without issues too. Rubbing against the roll bar, wavy windows, fabric wearing if not folded carefully, etc. I donā€™t blame anyone for wanting the hard top. It just depends on your needs and wants. Iā€™m happy aftermarket options are coming out to compete with the MIC top as well. Choices are good!
Iā€™m not convinced that the design of the MIC top will last long term, especially in cold or drastically changing climates, but thatā€™s my opinion. Fiberglass is a tougher longer lasting design in my view. But I certainly hope any bronco buyer gets long life out of their tops and no issues.
My main point is that, just like the 2.7 thread, we donā€™t (and probably wonā€™t) know the true percentage of tops or engines with issues. All we can go on is what we know. We know there are 33 (soon to be 35 once verified) blown 2.7ā€™s. Itā€™s not 35 out of all 2.7ā€™s produced for the bronco. Itā€™s 35 out of 2.7ā€™s bought and driven by forum members only. Just like with tops with issues- we only know what problems forum members have- not what the owner at large sees. I do know when the first thread on blown 2.7ā€™s was started, it was constantly stated- those numbers are BS- there are only 3-4 blown-at the most. Well, 30-31 verified motors laterā€¦ā€¦

Enjoy your bronco! I hope to have mine maybe late March.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BTW- I have a sunrider on my Gladiator and love it. Definitely worth checking out for your bronco!

phocion

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are plenty of reports on here of MIC 1.0 tops with and without issues, and MIC 2.0 tops with and without issues.

The way I see it, the high variability in the quality of the tops that are getting through to customers IS the flaw, and this flaw remains uncorrected.

OP
OP
UTultimate

UTultimate

Badlands
First Name
UltimateBronco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you elect to give up a hard top of any type and take delivery with a softie.....by the deadline? Then, like me, you would have saved anywhere from 1200-1900 on MSRP, plus received 200,000 bonus points.

I could have left my order as it was, with price protection, but no guarantee of production with a modular painted top anytime soon.

So if you are driving your Bronco. I agree with you. And if not, that too.

What I am saying is, Ford apologized as best they could, gave us a limited time to change our orders to get 2021s, and followed through with the equivalent of $1000 which when coupled with 15% off accessory sale worked out to a little more
Only people that had originally ordered painted top and converted got the 200,000 points. I didnā€™t get any points for switching from MIC to soft and I switched by the deadline.

jdawg

Black Diamond
First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Atlas/65Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It's clear to me that the OEM soft top is not as durable as the twil models from Besttop, especially if you live in the snow belt, and an upgrade would be advisable ASAP if you get your Soft top Bronco earlier.
We had one heck of a couple weeks of storms where I live. Foot of snow day one. Single digit evenings. 1+ inch of ice on the tops of everything the next weekend. Including my SoftTop. It held up like a champ. The OME twill tops can handle winter weather. And from my experience so far... with ease. I am curious where people are getting this misinformation. It is very misplaced from my experience.
Sponsored