Sponsored

Hardtop pricing from Ford for those that switched to soft top.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

There are plenty of reports on here of MIC 1.0 tops with and without issues, and MIC 2.0 tops with and without issues.

The way I see it, the high variability in the quality of the tops that are getting through to customers IS the flaw, and this flaw remains uncorrected.
Exactly. I have always described my MIC 2.0 as garbage. You could not convince me it is any different than the many MIC 1.0 tops I have seen, other than 2.0 gave me the off color middle panel. Shitload of people have same issues I do with 2.0. Some people claim to have perfect 2.0s.
Sponsored

Oceannomad

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Audi Q7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

BTW- I have a sunrider on my Gladiator and love it. Definitely worth checking out for your bronco!
Does it open enough, and feel sturdy enough? Conversely, how permanent is it if i want it off?

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I posted the parts list in another thread that had the numbers, quantity and retail prices. It came out to just over $10,000 before labor to assemble (install glass, remove soft top and associated brackets, etc) and install. My opinion is when Ford releases a "kit" for the prep package people, I don't believe it's going to anywhere near this much but also don't think they'll be under $4K.

leviticusw

Outer Banks
First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Genesis, Isuzu Trooper
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Which is automatically included when you order a soft top in ‘22, so was that really even a bonus?
Very much so. I really would love to have a hardtop but since mine was delivered prior to the automatic September delivery Prep Kit announcement, I don't have the prep kit and it can't be added. Which is horseshit because the prep kit should have been installed on EVERY 2021 Bronco regardless of top. I originally ordered the hardtop and switched to soft after switching dealers but that was waaay in the early stages. So that's kind of a bummer.

Sponsored

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does it open enough, and feel sturdy enough? Conversely, how permanent is it if i want it off?
It flips back pretty far back (see pic). It feels pretty sturdy and mine never leaked in downpours or high pressure car washes. On the gladiator I could install/uninstall in about 5-10 minutes. Super easy!
Ford Bronco Hardtop pricing from Ford for those that switched to soft top. E36670BC-3E8F-4F4D-8562-94EE35C8CD42

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford is helping you now by offering you a good looking, well engineered hard top for $995, a bargain price compared to the aftermarket units in development. If you choose to try to speed up your order by switching to a thin, basic seasonal OEM soft top as your only top so you can possibly get your car more quickly, that's your choice.

It's clear to me that the OEM soft top is not as durable as the twil models from Besttop, especially if you live in the snow belt, and an upgrade would be advisable ASAP if you get your Soft top Bronco earlier.

My personal experience with the MIC top over 5 months is that it is durable, functional, good looking, easily removed and replaced, well made, well designed and repairable with epoxies. Others have demonstrated that it can be painted, wrapped and "dipped". On the 4dr, Ford's innovative design intended to improve on Jeep's 3 piece design by adding a mid-panel so that a user could have a better, larger open-air experience. In my use, its a winner. If you want a colored top, it can be done DIY or by paint shop.

Given the current production delays brought on by semiconductor shortages, i personally believe that giving up an affordable, functional OEM hard top for a seasonal soft top is short sighted. Its worth the wait, whether the 3 months I waited, or longer. Its much easier to add a seasonal soft to to a hard top, than vv.

Food for thought.

Ford Bronco Hardtop pricing from Ford for those that switched to soft top. E36670BC-3E8F-4F4D-8562-94EE35C8CD42
You sir, are the Tom Brady of Monday Morning quarterbacks.

DaveR5658

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
wow, must be the worst search function ever, there are uncountable threads on the subject.

The help Ford gave you was the chance to get a Bronco before other folks waiting in line for a hard top and Ford points. I don't see Ford rewarding you with a discount on an MIC soon or, well...ever, after they already gave you Ford points and a cut in line, but good luck with it anyway.

No, Ford has not said anything about pricing or giving 'help' to others who chose to forgo the top for a chance at getting a Bronco sooner. the hard top is the incremental price to the soft top (MIC, not Mod top), not close to the actual cost.

Consensus is that the soft top is about $1800, so the MIC top would be about $2900 with taxes and so forth (plus shipping of around $400.) as absolute best case and would be available per Ford sometime in 2023, again best case. Looking at the Wrangler Hard Top, the pricing starts around the same, so it seems reasonable to guess around $3500 delivered to your dealer (they will of course hit you for a couple hours labor to install.)
Unfortunately, your estimate is way off....the soft top is over $4k. I know this because we have had to replace just the top section and frame and our cost on it was just under $4k through our parts department. I sure hope something changes but as for now, it's going to be a costly option if you want to add a hardtop after the fact.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It flips back pretty far back (see pic). It feels pretty sturdy and mine never leaked in downpours or high pressure car washes. On the gladiator I could install/uninstall in about 5-10 minutes. Super easy!
Thanks. I like the idea!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You sir, are the Tom Brady of Monday Morning quarterbacks.
When i ordered in February 2021, and got my Vin in April, we had no info, no sure specs, no customer experience, no non-prototype models to look at, and no hardtop prep kit, no customer experience, no user reports on 6G. So we have to be idealistic optimists. Now, everyone has the benefit of customer reports, more models etc, etc. So i may have too much trust.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Moto26

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 4x4 SuperCab STX -- 2016 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Very much so. I really would love to have a hardtop but since mine was delivered prior to the automatic September delivery Prep Kit announcement, I don't have the prep kit and it can't be added. Which is horseshit because the prep kit should have been installed on EVERY 2021 Bronco regardless of top. I originally ordered the hardtop and switched to soft after switching dealers but that was waaay in the early stages. So that's kind of a bummer.
Aww man, that sucks... :mad:

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

When i ordered in February 2021, and got my Vin in April, we had no info, no sure specs, no customer experience, no non-prototype models to look at, and no hardtop prep kit, no customer experience, no user reports on 6G. So we have to be idealistic optimists. Now, everyone has the benefit of customer reports, more models etc, etc. So i may have too much trust.
" Given the current production delays brought on by semiconductor shortages, i personally believe that giving up an affordable, functional OEM hard top for a seasonal soft top is short sighted. "

While I agreed with most of your assessment, this bit in your previous post was the part I took exception to. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel entitled to a "deal" on a hard top after making a decision between getting a Bronco or not, which it ultimately was. It was an informed decision at the time, supported by the fact that I got my supposed build date soon after making the switch. I would also underline your use of "functional" when describing the OEM hard top, which numerous people will tell you might not be the most accurate adjective to use (for either option, sadly). I live in the snow belt, and lived here when I owned two other soft tops. They did fine even without a garage to live in, which my Bronco will have. I'm disappointed it won't be a hard top, but I figure I can worry about that next winter should it prove to be an issue.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some possible types of ignorance here:
1. Assuming something is true even though you havent used it, seen it, or evaluated it in person,
2. Having incomplete information or heresay, as in not havimg data as to how many hardtops have been sold, how many of those are problem free for their owners, versus how many hardtop owners have definable defects with their hardtops that should be repaired
3. Failing to distinguish between Gen. 1 and Gen. 2 hardtops in discussing the issues
4. Generalizing from a small number of reports, either by assuming that the "numerous" reports on this forum are truly "numerous" compared to the number of Gen 2 units sold; or assuming that the fine units experienced by owners are representative of the group as a whole.

So without hard data of numbers, one has to be careful extrapolating a few problem reports to the whole, especially when "blissful" orners are not likely to report at all, in a forum whose most active respondants seem to be those who are still waiting for their vehicles.
All this applies to your opinion too. You have a hardtop that you are happy with. End of story.

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Only people that had originally ordered painted top and converted got the 200,000 points. I didn’t get any points for switching from MIC to soft and I switched by the deadline.
In theory. I switched from a MOD and got nothing. I don't know what glitch in their system screwed me out of the 200k, but if you didn't get the March '21 200k email, you get nothing.
Anyway, I am happy with the soft top over the MIC, but I definitely will be looking for the potential at a MOD roof in '23.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

" Given the current production delays brought on by semiconductor shortages, i personally believe that giving up an affordable, functional OEM hard top for a seasonal soft top is short sighted. "

While I agreed with most of your assessment, this bit in your previous post was the part I took exception to. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel entitled to a "deal" on a hard top after making a decision between getting a Bronco or not, which it ultimately was. It was an informed decision at the time, supported by the fact that I got my supposed build date soon after making the switch. I would also underline your use of "functional" when describing the OEM hard top, which numerous people will tell you might not be the most accurate adjective to use (for either option, sadly). I live in the snow belt, and lived here when I owned two other soft tops. They did fine even without a garage to live in, which my Bronco will have. I'm disappointed it won't be a hard top, but I figure I can worry about that next winter should it prove to be an issue.
Thats ok, its just my opinion, but I'm not sure what you mean. Are you saying that the Ford OEM softtop is inferior to all other 4x4 soft tops, and should be of higher quality? I would agree with that, but I have no personal experience with that except observation of others.

I mostly was trying to say that My Experience, the MIC top works well, people have been unfairly bashing it without any personal experience with it, and it is a better option than the soft top, if you're willing to wait. In my experience.

Like many, i wanted the dual top, in which case the OEM softie would make a nice warm weather accessory. With the MIC top, my options include a Besttop softie, or the Sunrider.

That said, what you said is important. We're all doing our best to get most of the car we want with limited information, unprecedented supply chain disruptions, and an increasingly restless and angry society. So part of me also wants to be charitable towards Ford and its suppliers.
Sponsored

Last edited: