First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t see a recall happening. If you don’t need it, drive it now so if it fails you can absorb the downtime. If there’s a recall it will take six months to get fixed because of the # of impacted owners. Just don’t go too deep into the woods 😔

I’m going nuts right now with the wait. It’s worse than the original wait to get the damn thing, because now I’m addicted. The weather is perfect, I have a pile of parts gathering in the garage, and I miss my Bronco and the truck I sold to get it.

That said, I’ll take my first world problem and be OK.
Ford is very much in a recall reduction stance. Fords are recalled in greater numbers than GM's by a large margin. Just think about how the cost of a recall campaign is embedded in the cost of each new Ford vehicle purchased. That sucks. Which helps me understand the BMW model for embedded cost of maintenance in the cost of each car sold. I think I would prefer to pay more for a car manufacture to maintain my car than to pay for future warranty work and recall campaigns. 4 years of maintenance for my BMWs and 5 years warranty. Sure, my diesel had plenty of warranty work on the emissions systems, which is a government requirement that really killed the passenger car diesel engine. (Seriously, if you have time, look at what manufactures have to do with diesels to satisfy the EPA. This is very sad because the Diesel in my X5 was bullet proof. I doubt the 2.7L EcoBoost Engine will survive more than 10 years. I am very torn because I am selling the X5 35d tomorrow after 10 years of ownership because it is in very nearly the same conditions as it was when I bought it in late 2011. And it got 28 mpg.

Today I read in FordAuthority.com that Ford is recalling 2016 and 2017 Expeditions and F150s for Master Cylinder issues. Based on Time Value of Money, I think Ford may make a poorly thought out decision to defer recalling 2021 Broncos until 2027. I suspect if they want to any decision to defer their 2.7L Bronco recall costs will be a financial mistake because the warranty costs for replacing 2.7 engines at random as they blow will be far greater than a well organized recall campaign. Please try to prove me wrong.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/2...on-recalled-over-brake-master-cylinder-issue/

https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/2...ks-recalled-over-brake-master-cylinder-issue/
Sponsored

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford is very much in a recall reduction stance. Fords are recalled in greater numbers than GM's by a large margin. Just think about how the cost of a recall campaign is embedded in the cost of each new Ford vehicle purchased. That sucks. Which helps me understand the BMW model for embedded cost of maintenance in the cost of each car sold. I think I would prefer to pay more for a car manufacture to maintain my car than to pay for future warranty work and recall campaigns. 4 years of maintenance for my BMWs and 5 years warranty. Sure, my diesel had plenty of warranty work on the emissions systems, which is a government requirement that really killed the passenger car diesel engine. (Seriously, if you have time, look at what manufactures have to do with diesels to satisfy the EPA. This is very sad because the Diesel in my X5 was bullet proof. I doubt the 2.7L EcoBoost Engine will survive more than 10 years. I am very torn because I am selling the X5 35d tomorrow after 10 years of ownership because it is in very nearly the same conditions as it was when I bought it in late 2011. And it got 28 mpg.

Today I read in FordAuthority.com that Ford is recalling 2016 and 2017 Expeditions and F150s for Master Cylinder issues. Based on Time Value of Money, I think Ford may make a poorly thought out decision to defer recalling 2021 Broncos until 2027. I suspect if they want to any decision to defer their 2.7L Bronco recall costs will be a financial mistake because the warranty costs for replacing 2.7 engines at random as they blow will be far greater than a well organized recall campaign. Please try to prove me wrong.

https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/2...on-recalled-over-brake-master-cylinder-issue/

https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/2...ks-recalled-over-brake-master-cylinder-issue/
As brake systems are a direct safety item, recalls will always happen no matter how far back they go. Unfortunately, our motor issue could probably be successfully argued in Court that its not "directly related to safety". If the entire production range from last year was impacted, then maybe a recall or at minimum a TSB. It looks (speculation, only Ford knows the real #'s) that our issue is "isolated" and root cause (again, speculation of valve component and head design changes) has been addressed.

That means either your motor has or will blow, or it won't. That sucks for everybody in this range. I hope I'm wrong and Ford eventually contacts impacted owners directly for resolution, because I agree with your statement about fixing them as they happen vs. a proactive measure, but I'm not highly confident that will happen. For God's sake, what will Wall Street think if there's a recall?? In the meantime, drive 'em like a rented mule but be as prepared as you can for the worst.

To make this ramble prescient to the thread, thanks to the posts above the Customer service rep here has put me in contact with the right resources for follow ups, and I officially have a case #. That was more useful than the couple of times I called the line directly, and they didn't open a case # because my repair was "in process".

Math4Fun77

First Edition
First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco-14 VW Jetta-04 Honda Pilot-71 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Same.

I'm waiting on an update from my rep, but I know they pulled it in Friday. I could tell that by the FordPass app. So, it should be done this week. That will put it at 4 weeks total in the shop. From what I've seen on here that's pretty good.
I promised the shop pizza on their work day, so they agreed to call me the day before and let me know ;)

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Blown engines seem to be dwindling. Are we in:

A. The calm before the storm?​
B. The beginning of the end?​
C. The calm after the storm?​
D. The end of the beginning?​
E. Other?​

nikojo

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gwagen FJ40 HMMWV M998612 911ST FJIcon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking same thing……..seems quiet. Maybe the bad valves have all ‘declared’ themselves.

Still don’t fully understand if this was a limited ‘batch’ versus bad design. Big difference in numbers.

21168 with 2,400 miles

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It's really not good to let something just sit. You need to drive it period. Especially with newer cars that have electronics that are always on, you'll find a dead battery.

Thought I picked myself up a winner when I bought a 93 XJ with only 55 k original miles... Till I started digging into the engine and seeing all the varnish because it was never driven enough to even get the moisture out of the oil.
That varnish protects the metal!!!!

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

E. Other?​
People are to afraid to drive them anymore. Also seems like a special bad batch of motors with the issue of Rapid Unplanned Destruction. Hopefully not all 2.7 have the problem.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

E. Other?​

D. Dirt Mountian is being cleared (supposedly) by March 31st and all those 2.7 engines are just waiting to be driven so they can blow up!

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Might also be that people are not driving them.

I have literally put like 10 miles on mine since I verified I was in the danger zone. It has been sitting for 6 weeks now.
I would use a fuel stabilizer from Amsoil or a similar brand name equivalent if you are planning on keeping it mostly in storage, just saying. Mine is also garaged at this time while I wait on suspension and other aftermarket accessories. I was using the wait for parts as an excuse until Ford came out with a Recall on 2.7 valves but as my long wait for parts is finally coming to an end, I think I might just go and order the new valves with hardware and remove the heads and then have a reputable machine shop install it for me and be done with it. I will save the receipts and try to get FORD to reimburse me for it (pre-recall or after recall).

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I would use a fuel stabilizer from Amsoil or a similar brand name equivalent if you are planning on keeping it mostly in storage, just saying. Mine is also garaged at this time while I wait on suspension and other aftermarket accessories. I was using the wait for parts as an excuse until Ford came out with a Recall on 2.7 valves but as my long wait for parts is finally coming to an end, I think I might just go and order the new valves with hardware and remove the heads and then have a reputable machine shop install it for me and be done with it. I will save the receipts and try to get FORD to reimburse me for it (pre-recall or after recall).
We have no idea if it is only the valves that are the problem, it could be more than that but Ford will not say and most likely never will.

If you install your own valves you can kiss your engine warranty goodbye.

Just get out there and drive it and enjoy it. As normal, never go off-road with out someone else, just incase your engine gives out, or buy a Garmin inReach

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's really not good to let something just sit. You need to drive it period. Especially with newer cars that have electronics that are always on, you'll find a dead battery.

Thought I picked myself up a winner when I bought a 93 XJ with only 55 k original miles... Till I started digging into the engine and seeing all the varnish because it was never driven enough to even get the moisture out of the oil.
Agreed that a car should not sit. Imagine how those with cars sitting in the lot at MAP feel.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
People are to afraid to drive them anymore. Also seems like a special bad batch of motors with the issue of Rapid Unplanned Destruction. Hopefully not all 2.7 have the problem.
Rapid Unplanned Disassembly.

• Haha
Reactions: jon

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Yeah with these engines in the F150 as well I would think Ford would have a pretty good idea which product by vin may be affected. When everything is just fine with a new car any manufacturer can be great; how customers are treated when things go wrong is far more important. Luckily our Badlands is at 7,100 miles and no engine issues but we did pick it up July 2021.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah with these engines in the F150 as well I would think Ford would have a pretty good idea which product by vin may be affected. When everything is just fine with a new car any manufacturer can be great; how customers are treated when things go wrong is far more important. Luckily our Badlands is at 7,100 miles and no engine issues but we did pick it up July 2021.
Does anyone here know if Ford LEP uses SAP?

It looks like they did at one time for service parts, but not sure if manufacturing uses SAP.

https://archive.sap.com/kmuuid2/a04...mpany (SAP Business Transformation Study).pdf

Reactions: jon