CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just did my first oil change. 2880 miles.

I let it sit for 48 hours - oil level was about above the second hole.

Spilled some when I emptied the pan - got a bit above 6 quarts out. Not sure the amount I spilled, and was inside the filter and filer housing. I let her drip out for a long time. I was counting the time between drips - 1 drip per second and waited at least another hour - having it go to 1 drip every 4 seconds and finally almost 5 seconds before I put in the drain plug.

I put in 5 quarts and the level was less than the first hole. Put in a 6th quart - and did the starter thing. It was a little above the bottom hole. I added another cup of oil. Didn't move it much. Added a 2nd cup (half a quart / 1 pint total) and it might be nearly halfway between the 2 holes - but it is hard to see.

I am letting it sit overnight and see what it is in the morning before I decide whether to put in the rest of the 7th quart or not.
Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Spilled some when I emptied the pan - got a bit above 6 quarts out. Not sure the amount I spilled, and was inside the filter and filer housing. I let her drip out for a long time. I was counting the time between drips - 1 drip per second and waited at least another hour - having it go to 1 drip every 4 seconds and finally almost 5 seconds before I put in the drain plug.

I put in 5 quarts and the level was less than the first hole. Put in a 6th quart - and did the starter thing. It was a little above the bottom hole. I added another cup of oil. Didn't move it much. Added a 2nd cup (half a quart / 1 pint total) and it might be nearly halfway between the 2 holes - but it is hard to see.

I am letting it sit overnight and see what it is in the morning before I decide whether to put in the rest of the 7th quart or not.
an oil change should NOT be such a PIA ....:mad:

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Really!?!?!?

After "I just did my first oil change. 2880 miles". WOW are you serious?

Razorback

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln MKX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

CORRECTION to my last post and ALARMING

I guesstimated my initial oil withdrawn from the engine so this morning I decided to measure it the best I could ... I poured all of the oil i had extracted into an extraction pump i use for different things around my home.

look at these pictures and tell me if you're not fkng shocked.

IMG-8020.jpg

IMG-8021.jpg

there is more than 7.5 Liters of oil in there .... about 7.93 Quarts !!!!!

this means that either the Dealership or the Factory overfilled the OIL and I have been driving around for 1600 plus miles with ECXCESS ENGINE OIL !!!!

WTF!!!!
I'm reading back through as we're changing the oil for the first time in a buddy's Bronco and install the The Ronin since it was so easy. When I changed mine, I too had over 7 quarts. Was putting the used oil in the containers from the new oil. Over flowed onto the driveway.

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just did my oil change for the first time. Replaced the oil plug with a new one, nothing fancy, just replacement for the oem. Only thing that seems odd is it is fully butted up against the catch for the outside tab, it didn’t click and it seems wobbly. It’s not leaking as far as I can tell. Is this normal? It just doesn’t seem secure.

Sponsored

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just did my oil change for the first time. Replaced the oil plug with a new one, nothing fancy, just replacement for the oem. Only thing that seems odd is it is fully butted up against the catch for the outside tab, it didn’t click and it seems wobbly. It’s not leaking as far as I can tell. Is this normal? It just doesn’t seem secure.
it SHOULD NOT be wobbly at all. It has to seal perfectly or else you can have issues.

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doing 1st oil change now with 2529 miles and was able to remove oil plug by hand (no pliers) I am waiting until it stops dripping (1 hour in so far) I am hoping to reinstall the plug by hand and as far as the filter I am going to tighten to 18 ft. lbs., I will try the 6.5 - 7 Quart challenge also and get back to forum, also I am using Synthetic blend in my 1st change and at 5000 mi. I will change again with Valvoline full synthetic and that will be repeated every 5000 miles as long as I own it.

Edit after about 3 hours it was dripping once every 4 seconds, so I stuck my finger in the drain hole and realized the is a drop down (oil trap) just inside the opening and maybe this is what is causing a Delima on a 1/4 of a quart so I put in the plug (by hand), installed the new filter 18 ft Lbs. and filled to 6.75 quarts, bingo right to the mark it was before!

IMPORTANT NOTE: in a video I learned that you can pre oil the motor before starting by stepping on the accelerator and the brake at the same time when you push the start button right after changing the oil, the starter will turn over the engine (without starting) for a long cycle and the stop when the pressure comes up it stops, then you just apply the brake, press the start button as normal and it starts as usual, I like that a lot better than that feeling of when is the pressure going to come up after it starts like I usually get the first time I start after an oil change.

Last edited:

badclam

Raptor
First Name
Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor,22 Raptor 37pp,23 F350 CCLB 6.7PS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I ended up adding another .125 qt, so right around 6.125 put me at just below the max fill hole, tho reads a tad lower (near top of hatched area) when checked 15 mins after being driven…

I really want to avoid ignoring the dipstick altogether because then we have literally no way to reason about how full it is >.<
At NAPA today, I went in and asked what they have for oil and filter for a 2021 Bronco 2.7? They had no filter #, but said it takes 6.2 quarts of synthetic 5W-30.
That is what is recommended by Ford for the 2.3? I figured they mixed it up?
I sourced the oil and filter from a local parts dealer. He said 7 quarts.

I changed my oil today, at 680 miles, because it was reading way over full on the dipstick at 15 minutes rest. I couldn't stand it.
It took 6 and about 1/4 quarts to take it just to full on the dip stick. That's at 15 minutes or about 2 hours.

Mr.Schmancy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

At NAPA today, I went in and asked what they have for oil and filter for a 2021 Bronco 2.7? They had no filter #, but said it takes 6.2 quarts of synthetic 5W-30.
That is what is recommended by Ford for the 2.3? I figured they mixed it up?
I sourced the oil and filter from a local parts dealer. He said 7 quarts.

I changed my oil today, at 680 miles, because it was reading way over full on the dipstick at 15 minutes rest. I couldn't stand it.
It took 6 and about 1/4 quarts to take it just to full on the dip stick. That's at 15 minutes or about 2 hours.

So are you saying your dipstick reads the same at 15 min AND 2 hours? What about over night?

badclam

Raptor
First Name
Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor,22 Raptor 37pp,23 F350 CCLB 6.7PS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So are you saying your dipstick reads the same at 15 min AND 2 hours? What about over night?
I can't tell the difference between 2 hours and over night.
I think part of the problem might be there's oil left in the pan after you drain it. I didn't have time to try and suck out what's left, so maybe it's substantial, maybe not. I'm not going to use any kind of flush in the motor , for fear of not getting it all out.

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't tell the difference between 2 hours and over night.
I think part of the problem might be there's oil left in the pan after you drain it. I didn't have time to try and suck out what's left, so maybe it's substantial, maybe not. I'm not going to use any kind of flush in the motor , for fear of not getting it all out.
That’s why I think I don’t need to fill 7 quarts. I change in the garage on flat ground without jacking it up. I’ve since bought a jack that actually reaches the frame (my old trusty floor jack didn’t come close). Hopefully if I lean it towards the passenger side some it will drain the last 0.5qt.

fllaw1

Wildtrak
First Name
BH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Well in response to some of the questions on the thread asked about 2022. My WildTrak was built Feb 2022. Currently has 300 miles on it.

Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs IMG_1566

Dipstick number appear to be the same as this 2021.

This sitting cold after hours the oil is in the twisted area or above!
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs IMG_1567

This is your 15-30 min after running temperature, right at the twisty.
Ford Bronco 2.7L Oil Change Tips + Replacement Drain Plugs IMG_1578

So I would say just like when you changed fluid from a sealed transmission (No dipstick) you only put in what you got out. If you get all 7 qts, then put 7 qts. There is not much more we can do at this point. I have 312 miles on it right now, hope this helps with the questions for the 2022s.
I asked the techs in the back of the dealership about the oil plug and they said unless there is a leaking problem or the grommet - seal ring is damaged, deteriorated they are re used every time. I like the Ronin where i could put a 8-10 in hose on the end and drain into a large jug to take up to the auto parts store and recycle. A lot less mess for me in my opinion.

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well in response to some of the questions on the thread asked about 2022. My WildTrak was built Feb 2022. Currently has 300 miles on it.

Dipstick number appear to be the same as this 2021.

This sitting cold after hours the oil is in the twisted area or above!

This is your 15-30 min after running temperature, right at the twisty.

So I would say just like when you changed fluid from a sealed transmission (No dipstick) you only put in what you got out. If you get all 7 qts, then put 7 qts. There is not much more we can do at this point. I have 312 miles on it right now, hope this helps with the questions for the 2022s.
I asked the techs in the back of the dealership about the oil plug and they said unless there is a leaking problem or the grommet - seal ring is damaged, deteriorated they are re used every time. I like the Ronin where i could put a 8-10 in hose on the end and drain into a large jug to take up to the auto parts store and recycle. A lot less mess for me in my opinion.
Thanks for the update. Crazy this still hasn’t been addressed for 22. Seems the right thing to do is overfill your dipstick.
Sponsored