First Name
Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor,22 Raptor 37pp,23 F350 CCLB 6.7PS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Ok while I'm no fan of him or poor quality heims, it is clear from my observations that the angle achieved is the same or very very close to the same with the OEM outer tie rod joint when compared to a very quality FK heim with misalignment spacers installed. Not advocating for them, just saying that the reason he advised against them is to sell his silly band-aid clamps that only fit OEM. Here's pics ....

So not much is gained with these, they just wear out faster and aren't really any stronger unless the mount was redesigned for double shear at both ends.

20220423_200706.jpg

20220423_200643.jpg

20220423_200833.jpg
His silly band-aid clamps that only fit OEM appear to work. He guarantees them. I installed them because I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on any other solution. Most of us don't know enough about tie rods to feel safe putting on some cobbled together solution. There's no risk in strengthening a factory tie rod..... So as much as I'm envious of your and others understanding of the engineering of tie rods, when you do find the strong safe solution, and it's widely excepted, I'll put them on. Until then I'm using the band aid.
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

His silly band-aid clamps that only fit OEM appear to work. He guarantees them. I installed them because I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on any other solution. Most of us don't know enough about tie rods to feel safe putting on some cobbled together solution. There's no risk in strengthening a factory tie rod..... So as much as I'm envious of your and others understanding of the engineering of tie rods, when you do find the strong safe solution, and it's widely excepted, I'll put them on. Until then I'm using the band aid.

There are less expensive alternatives out there that will do the job just as well.

Ford Bronco Exploring off-the-shelf tie rod upgrades 1650799317707

😁

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are less expensive alternatives out there that will do the job just as well.

Ford Bronco Exploring off-the-shelf tie rod upgrades 1650799317707

😁
While I'm sure this does improve the situation, the Broncbuster is a bit stronger still. I might still be swayed to it, but in the mean time I need a back up plan. A cheap spare might get somebody else in the wheeling group home too.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's a fair take. I've built steering from scratch several times and I'm still here to tell the story so I'm pretty comfortable experimenting.

The big favorite in Jeep custom steering is 80s GM TREs. If RPG had gone that route I'd be a buyer.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

While I'm sure this does improve the situation, the Broncbuster is a bit stronger still. I might still be swayed to it, but in the mean time I need a back up plan. A cheap spare might get somebody else in the wheeling group home too.

In my neck of the woods things tend to not come apart after they have been together for some time. Then right when you need to remove them they don't come apart so easy. In the desert this is a non issue.

So if I need to replace parts because of having to cut them apart to service the vehicle, then I would like those parts to not bleed me dry.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In my neck of the woods things tend to not come apart after they have been together for some time. Then right when you need to remove them they don't come apart so easy. In the desert this is a non issue.

So if I need to replace parts because of having to cut them apart to service the vehicle, then I would like those parts to not bleed me dry.
That's a solid reason, and the JKS will help.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Someone will find a solution very soon that is not a band-aid.
We need someone to fab up a bracket that would go behind the backing plate and to the top part of the Fabtech tie rod kit. Which would make it double shear and there for keeping it from bending. which is the problem BB had when he had a rod end for a tie rod. :unsure:

Ford Bronco Exploring off-the-shelf tie rod upgrades tie rod

I don't have a Bronco yet but I do know someone who does and is quite good a fabbing stuff up. ;)

Most times the backing plate bolts to the knuckle along with the unit bearing, so a bracket from those bolt holes to the top nut then just cut out the backing plate to fit around the bracket and tack the two together. That way the backing plate won't rub the rotor because of adding the bracket.

Last edited:

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That's a fair take. I've built steering from scratch several times and I'm still here to tell the story so I'm pretty comfortable experimenting.

The big favorite in Jeep custom steering is 80s GM TREs. If RPG had gone that route I'd be a buyer.
That really would be a good route. Even having to get a taper bit and open the knuckles wouldnt be a big deal. That has been the common upgrade for most of the off road industry for a long time.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

God bless Amazon with Sunday delivery.

The F150 tie rods showed up. To get the length I need there isn't as much thread engagement as I'd like but there could be something here. Maybe I can find a slightly longer outer.

wyobronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond 2 DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

The F150 tie rods showed up. To get the length I need there isn't as much thread engagement as I'd like but there could be something here. Maybe I can find a slightly longer outer.
Would the raptor tie rods be longer?

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Would the raptor tie rods be longer?
I would have thought so but not according to rockauto. The 12th gen F150 outer is slightly longer than the 11th though according to them, by just the right amount. Ordering up a set now.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Pics?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We need someone to fab up a bracket that would go behind the backing plate and to the top part of the Fabtech tie rod kit. Which would make it double shear and there for keeping it from bending. which is the problem BB had when he had a rod end for a tie rod. :unsure:

Ford Bronco Exploring off-the-shelf tie rod upgrades tie rod

I don't have a Bronco yet but I do know someone who does and is quite good a fabbing stuff up. ;)

Most times the backing plate bolts to the knuckle along with the unit bearing, so a bracket from those bolt holes to the top nut then just cut out the backing plate to fit around the bracket and tack the two together. That way the backing plate won't rub the rotor because of adding the bracket.
Damn dude you and I think along the same lines....working on that idea now...also it could be possible to add an additional tapered hole about 3" higher than the OEM one. A 4130 bracket with proper support should work great....

But...there's also another possibility...the uprights from an f-150 raptor or even the RC uprights from the 5" kit have the tie rod mounting point in a far superior position.

I've already contacted them about buying a set to try out.

They are taller overall so I'm not sure how the upper A-arm will sit...wouldn't be exactly in parallel with the LCA, so this could cause some geometry issues.

No price yet but my best guess is I could get a pair of aftermarket uprights for around the same price as the ban-aid brace....ROFL

bronco_5in_base~2.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.