Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

beerme1986

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Which model bronco do you have? And do you have the heavey duty modular bumper as well.
The gap between the plate and bumper doesnt look like the tow hooks will fit
it is a badlands. i am replacing the HD mod bumper with a LOD bumper so i can flat tow. not sure about the gap if the HD bumper was back on. got lots with the LOD bumper.
Sponsored

beerme1986

Badlands
First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford super duty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just stopped in Southern Michigan and disconnected. Used my check sheet to make sure I din't miss something and all went well. Thanks!
i think maybe it was the 7 seconds before shifting to park????

Jmor

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

it is a badlands. i am replacing the HD mod bumper with a LOD bumper so i can flat tow. not sure about the gap if the HD bumper was back on. got lots with the LOD bumper.
Thanks here is my HD modular with the small gap nowhere to route the safety cables thru even if it fits under the plate.
I'm Interested in your opinion or anyone who has tried with Wildtrak, sas, HD modular bumper
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20220424_111346
Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? 20220424_111330

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i think maybe it was the 7 seconds before shifting to park????
I'm hoping your right. I haven't had an issue but always concerned about the transfer case shift since there is no way to verify it.
Maybe if you go to prk too quick it's only part way through the shift which would be 4h.

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
On the modular bumper with factory bash plate the safety hook plate does fit!
My safety hook plate and front bash did bearly touch when the bash is completely tight.
I notched my bash plate about 1/8 inch deep and just the width of the safety chain plate.
As LOD pointed out in a previous post a washer under the bash would get the proper clearance, but I would lose a washer.

Also, the safety hooks fit. Just have to reach under the bumper a little.
1st pic is where everything touched. The next shows with a notch.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_1308

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_1310

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? IMG_1311

Sponsored

Jmor

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My safety hook plate and front bash did bearly touch when the bash is completely tight.
I notched my bash plate about 1/8 inch deep and just the width of the safety chain plate.
As LOD pointed out in a previous post a washer under the bash would get the proper clearance, but I would lose a washer.

Great thanks for the pics too, not sure which option I'll use
1. notch the base plate
2. Washer to extend baseplate
3. Or grind the lod bracket safety attachment slightly or combo of all 3... Lol
Thanks a lot for the info.
Now just waiting to see if the AFI
Install works with the new charge line installation to the post to avoid the EBB sleep mode.
Why is this so difficult, Ford Should have has this figured out long ago. We are the Guinea pig's. 🐖🐷🐖🐷
Sorry no Guinea pig gif

pbryan

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

What brand safety cables are you using? Just tried the hooks that came with my Roadmaster Nighthawk, and while I think they will still work, they don't seem to have the same amount of clearance as yours. The hooks were just slightly narrower than the opening between the bumper and the skid plate.

--Paul

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't know the brand. They are coiled and have a s hook with safety latch.
If that helps any.

I think there are various weight limits on safety cables with the size going up with weight rating. Really can't recall these weight rating. Fairly sure we got ones rated for 6,000 lb towing. The combined rating of the cables has to be 6,000. So these are most likely 4,000 lb each.

Last edited:

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In a previous post someone recommended using these.

rm-645_12_100.jpg

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In a previous post someone recommended using these.

Ford Bronco Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco? rm-645_12_100
That might’ve been me and they’re known as “quick links”. Lots of sizes and they’re available in standard and stainless steel. Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon, etc.

I plan to use the LOD mounts with a JCR Off-road Vanguard bumper along with the JCR front skid plate. That’s all in my garage so once my Bronco gets out of the Richmond, CA rail yard purgatory and is delivered I’ll get it installed and report back.

Sponsored

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The Bronco bumper assemblies are not precision instruments.
I can imagine that some will put the LOD tow brackets on without any modifications.
If will be interesting to see how your JCR bumper does. Best wishes!

SRICKEY

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250, 2008 Tiffin Phaeton
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Got some strange messages when switching out of Tow Mode today. Have been on the road for two days, spending one night at Walmart without disconnecting. I opened the door at Walmart's just to check. Got the In Tow Mode message. When I arrived at my current location the first thing I noticed was I did not get any message when I opened the door. When I pressed the start button without pressing the brake it did show the In Tow Mode message. Pressed the brake pedal for 7 seconds then shifted from Neutral to Park. The 4H light came on in the dash and on the GOAT Mode control knob, the wrench symbol come on and got the message need service soon. Started it up and drove it around a bit and everything cleared up. Any one else seen this?
Just looked at my Ford Pass Account and I just started getting REMOTE FEATURES DISABLED has entered deep sleep mode messages.
Have not seen the 'REMOTE FEATURES DISABLED entered deep sleep mode' on the Bronco, but my F250 has done that several times. Which is strange as the truck gets driven daily and the Bronco spends a lot of time resting in the garage.

Side note - have a second F250 at work and added to same Ford Pass Account and it has never gone to deep sleep mode????

Interior guy

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The flat tow equipment needed is a jeep apparently because you can’t flat tow a 2.7 with electric brake booster it was a lie from ford

Bsenecal

Outer Banks
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger crew cab, '17 Fusion sport, '68 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The flat tow equipment needed is a jeep apparently because you can’t flat tow a 2.7 with electric brake booster it was a lie from ford
Why do you say that? I believe some on the forum are flat towing their Bronco with 2.7.
Brian

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why do you say that? I believe some on the forum are flat towing their Bronco with 2.7.
Brian

The electric brake boost on the 2.7 shuts down after 10 - 45 minutes rendering your auxiliary brake system ineffective. See link below for detail and if you have a 2.7 good luck getting @Ford Motor Company to step up and take ownership of the problem and provide a resolution or even acknowledge the issue.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/flat-tow-2-7l-electric-brake-bms-time-out-nthsa-claim.36496/
Sponsored