Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ordered! Hoping to get it and install it before my Sept road trip!
Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Over the weekend we got some questions about the rigidity of our rack and the actual weight load rating of the rack. We have gone through almost a year of R&D as well as talking to professionals in the space of this Ford Bronco. Every input and thought went into the design of this rack, which makes us so extremely excited to get this rack out to the public. We truly believe it is one of the best-engineered products we have made.

The weight ratings will be confirmed this week through a state-of-the-art software system that will give us dynamic and static load ratings of what the roof rack is actually capable of. As of writing this post, the weights on our site are what we are 100% confident that the rack will handle with typical Bronco driving on/off road.

@fronc did some load testing for us to shed some light on some questions and concerns customers and others had. Hope this answers some questions and shows you our rack going through some abuse and how purpose-built it is.

TrailRax "TRMRR" Bow/Flex Test:

So a few folks have asked about the rack's rigidity, flex and bow, both under load and without any weight on it. I'm hoping the following photos and videos provide valuable, real-world experience so you can see for yourself how solid it's built.

tl;dr - There's no bow, unless you're concentrating weight of 300+ lbs in the unsupported center of the aluminum beam. And there's very little flex under load except for that which, IMO, can be expected when loading considerable weight onto any roof rack. Nothing is going to be flex-free. Read on....

First question to address is whether there is a bow in the natural, unloaded state. Here's the question:

1654376938428.png

The answer is NO, and as far as I can tell, this is an optical illusion from the curvature of the roof and the cutout section. Also, just for clarity, I'll note that there was nothing in the Roam box in this photo, so we're talking just 25lbs... effectively no load. See below:

From this angle, it's easy to see that the roof is curved, with the highest point right where the front row of panels and the back row of panels meet. (Zoom to see the level indicating the slope at the front.)

Rack-no-Lines.jpg

But in case you're still skeptical of what your eyes are telling your brain, I overlayed some parallel, evenly spaced lines on top of this image to prove the rack is perfectly straight on top and bottom.

Rack-with-Lines.jpg

Without the truck there, here's the lines:

Parallel-Lines.jpg

Validating this with a level, you'll see the rack is sitting level in the front row and level in the rear row, too.

Level-front-row-no-load.jpg

Level-rear-row-no-load.jpg

So for this first question "is there a bow", I think the myth should be considered BUSTED. There's no bow in the rack when mounted and with no load.

But what about UNDER LOAD, right? I've got some findings there, as well. I did two tests, first with a distribution of 250lbs, then one with 350lb.

250lb maintained its level posture, no problem (zoom to see level, try not to fall for the optical illusion of the curved roof, again):

250lb Test - Level.jpg

I also gave it a good bang with my hand to test how much vibration and play there was. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me in how it absorbed the impact. Watch the plates to see the amount of motion, because if you're looking at the rails you'll probably not even notice anything.

250lb Smack Test:

Next I upped the weight another hundred pounds, and finally saw a little bit of flex in the rails. At 350lb, here we were:

350lb-test-slight-flex.jpg

Considering the weight and the amount of space that these rails cover from the front mount point to the rear, I'd say you couldn't expect more from an aluminum rack, and it's very impressive to me.

I'll also note that the rear of the rack had no flex whatsoever, event at 350lbs... definitely something to keep in mind when distributing your weight across it:

Level-Rear-load.jpg

Level-Rearmost-load.jpg

The final test I did is in direct comparison to the "three-finger wiggle" I've seen on YouTube involving a competitor rack. I used all of my weight and force to move the rack up and down, and only saw maybe a quarter or eighth of an inch in flex, less than what these other guys see with just finger pressure. Again, I can't imagine it's reasonable to expect better than what we're seeing here:

Body Weight/Pull Test:

So there's no bow, unless you're concentrating weight of 300+ lbs in the unsupported center of an aluminum beam. And there's very little flex except for that which, IMO, can be expected when loading considerable weight onto any roof rack.

*** In the spirit of full disclosure, please know that I don't work for TrailRax, but I am now part of their affiliate program. I did receive a rack at a discounted rate, but the information I have put in this post is a true and accurate description and my own honest opinions. ***

davepriz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate any and all communication! This is really looking like the rack that I will buy. Hoping to pair it with a Freespirit Recreation Evolution rooftop tent on a 2dr.

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Now that I've ordered my 2D version with the cutout and pax rax, I have a few questions.

1. What mounting hardware would I need to move the 40" light bar to this rack from my current setup?
2. What mounting hardware would I need to add 2x 2.5grotopax tanks, a hilift, and 2x traction boards?
3. Will I be able to add side lights to this rack?

Just wanted to get a jumpstart on parts so I don't drive around with empty racks when it does come in.

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Now that I've ordered my 2D version with the cutout and pax rax, I have a few questions.

1. What mounting hardware would I need to move the 40" light bar to this rack from my current setup?
2. What mounting hardware would I need to add 2x 2.5grotopax tanks, a hilift, and 2x traction boards?
3. Will I be able to add side lights to this rack?

Just wanted to get a jumpstart on parts so I don't drive around with empty racks when it does come in.
Great questions!

If you have a Heretic Bar 40", you will use the L brackets it came with. If you are using a different brand 40" bar, use common L brackets that come with your light bar, these will mount the bar directly to the extrusion on the rack.

To mount rotopax, you will need a DLX or LOX mount per each 2 gallons. For a 4 gallon, you will need 2 mounts, these will then mount directly to our universal plate in which you get 2 that come with the Pak Rax option. For a Hi Lift, we do not have any mounts for them but common mounts should work, do not mount these on the Pak Rax. For Traction boards, we always recommend the MaxTrax as they are the highest durability and traction of any board we have tested, and we would recommend our MaxTrax mounting plate that is set to release in the next month or two. This in combination with the maxtrax mounting pins will be great.

You can add side lights to your rack at will! More importantly, we are releasing a grab handle with an integrated high-quality rock light that should fit your needs. More information to come.

Sponsored

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@TrailRax do you have some photos of the half rack on 4 door Bronco?

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Great questions!

If you have a Heretic Bar 40", you will use the L brackets it came with. If you are using a different brand 40" bar, use common L brackets that come with your light bar, these will mount the bar directly to the extrusion on the rack.

To mount rotopax, you will need a DLX or LOX mount per each 2 gallons. For a 4 gallon, you will need 2 mounts, these will then mount directly to our universal plate in which you get 2 that come with the Pak Rax option. For a Hi Lift, we do not have any mounts for them but common mounts should work, do not mount these on the Pak Rax. For Traction boards, we always recommend the MaxTrax as they are the highest durability and traction of any board we have tested, and we would recommend our MaxTrax mounting plate that is set to release in the next month or two. This in combination with the maxtrax mounting pins will be great.

You can add side lights to your rack at will! More importantly, we are releasing a grab handle with an integrated high-quality rock light that should fit your needs. More information to come.
Thank you for such a quick response!

I have a 40" dual row light bar from North Lights Co that I'm extremely happy with.
The output is far superior to any that I've seen, and it has a supposed rating of IP69X, but we'll see how that is.

Fully noted on the hi-lift, but wondering why. Is it the weight of the jack?

Will be eagerly waiting for the grab handles. I think it's a great idea, as there is currently nothing to hold on to when I get on my rear tires. Will these rock lights be bright enough to supplement the ditch lights?

Whatever the case, can't wait to get this on!

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TrailRax do you have some photos of the half rack on 4 door Bronco?
We do not have pictures of it on a 4 door bronco. It has not been a popular option amongst our testing group when it comes to them choosing what rack they want to run. Here are product photos of it.

Ford Bronco TrailRax Modular Roof Rack For Your Bronco back view .1
Ford Bronco TrailRax Modular Roof Rack For Your Bronco front view .1

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We do not have pictures of it on a 4 door bronco. It has not been a popular option amongst our testing group when it comes to them choosing what rack they want to run. Here are product photos of it.

I'm surprised. I think the big selling point of the Bronco is the removable roof and figure more people would want to keep that option without bars covering everything up.

Please post some photos as you get them.

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thank you for such a quick response!

I have a 40" dual row light bar from North Lights Co that I'm extremely happy with.
The output is far superior to any that I've seen, and it has a supposed rating of IP69X, but we'll see how that is.

Fully noted on the hi-lift, but wondering why. Is it the weight of the jack?

Will be eagerly waiting for the grab handles. I think it's a great idea, as there is currently nothing to hold on to when I get on my rear tires. Will these rock lights be bright enough to supplement the ditch lights?

Whatever the case, can't wait to get this on!
The HiLift on the Pak Rax overhangs on either side too much and in combination with its weight, it will damage the Pak Rax.

The grab handles will not supplement ditch lights, these are more scene lights that will help give ambient light at night at camp. This way it does not blind you as well.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm surprised. I think the big selling point of the Bronco is the removable roof and figure more people would want to keep that option without bars covering everything up.

Please post some photos as you get them.
Our Roof rack offers the ability to remove the front and middle panels to the Bronco while the full roof rack is on. This is why the Half rack does not sell nearly as well. You can get the benefit to the full rack while still offering the ability to remove the hardtop panels.

davepriz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can you provide the dimensions for the roof rack’s platform? I’m trying to plan for what RTT will be the best option based on overall fit. Thank you!

davepriz

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Focus RS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whoops, meant to mention I’m looking for the two door dimensions please

OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can you provide the dimensions for the roof rack’s platform? I’m trying to plan for what RTT will be the best option based on overall fit. Thank you!
Whoops, meant to mention I’m looking for the two door dimensions please
While we cannot share the exact dimensions of the rack's footprint, you will want roughly a 46-48" wide tent, and length-wise is limited on a two-door but measures out around 80". Overhanging a clam shell does not look bad either. pictures to come on that soon from Justin.

jaeggernaut

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M Coupe // Volvo P1800S // Caterham CSR 200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thank you. love the communication coming from trailrax. including the pro-active emails to customers. đź’Şđź‘Ť
Sponsored