Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This reminds me, I was meaning to ask.
I am in the process of taking off my RTT and awning, and eventually the roof rack and hard top, for the summer.
If I take off the hard top, would the PakRax be able to support the roof rack without the hardtop?
Asking for a friend.
No, we do not recommend doing that at this time. We are working on a solution, while the pak rax can take the weight, the Pak Rax will not keep center without the hardtop.
Sponsored

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Mine came with 2 chairs in the front and 2 in the back for emergencies... and general vehicle use of course. :D
Sounds like you need one of these.
then you arent listening.

Im simply not a fan of Goose floor storage and believe vertical storage makes more sense so you can use the back area more. Similar to this - but obviously, this is a larger vehicle.

Earth romers dont fit in containers so they are continent-locked unless you are super rich.

Screenshot 2023-07-12 125003.png

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

external mounting surface for your accessories but also a way of distributing weight to the body of the vehicle instead of all the weight sitting on your fiberglass.
Now if feel silly. Didn't realize it went all the way down the side! Weight on the body off the top makes total sense. Thanks!

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

then you arent listening.
Don't mind me. I'm just messing with you, although to be fair, I didn't know you needed to ship your rig across oceans in a container.

jbandc122

Wildtrak
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak, Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Always!

Thanks for the compliment, If you have any questions regarding either parts, we are happy to share the build process and overall feedback.
I’m not typically a roof rack guy. I believe in shedding weight where possible instead of adding things on, but the short range and space in the 2 door has me looking at different options. I may be getting your half rack in the future. I doubt there will ever be an off the shelf option for soft tops but that would sure as hell make the decision easier.

And one of the previous posters was right, you have on hell of a photographer!

Sponsored

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Very nice . . . A diagram!
A note on LiFePO4 as the second battery. A very positive note.

I am waiting to order my Bronco, so this experience is in my 2009 Chevy Tahoe. Other than that, it should be comparable to what happens in a Bronco.

I have the "towing option" for my Tahoe, there's space for a second type 24 battery behind the left headlight assembly. I have used deep-cycle marine batteries for over a decade in that position. I have a lot of radio and computer gear in my truck, and I leave things on for extended periods (days).

I have a 120 W solar panel hard-mounted on the roof, it wasn't easy to find one that fit in the location I picked, but it works fine.

A month ago, I finally bit the bullet on ditching the lead-acid battery for a LiFePO4 100Ah 12 volt. 100 amp built in battery management system (BMS). The battery is somewhat skinnier and taller than the old battery, so I had to modify the hold-down assembly. Some thread-rod and a generic battery hold-down bracket from Amazon, slightly modified, did the trick.

Resting voltage, charging voltage, and BMS low-voltage protection disconnect are all different between lead-acid and LiFePO4. Temp ranges are comparable, at least at the high end. Can't speak to cold wx, and I live in PHX. For me, this is an experiment, and I don't want to kill a brand-new LiFePO4 battery due to voltage issues.

I use a Hellroaring (hellroaring.com) smart battery isolator. It connects and at the same time isolates the starter battery from the second battery. It's quite trick and just seems to work. Automatic protection, no need to manually throw a switch under the hood to isolate. Highly recommend.

The solar panel connects only to the second battery.

Got it all installed and tested, then went on a 3600-mile road trip. Returned yesterday afternoon.

OMG, what a positive difference. The loads, adding up to maybe 4 amps continuous, with peaks to 25 amps, never even got close to depleting the LiFePO4 battery. Never even approached the 30-40% capacity remaining level (13.0 volts). With the lead-acid, I'd see voltage sags into the 11.8 volt range, which is pretty much end of capacity, and not good for the battery.

I did not have a temperature sensor mounted on the battery (yet), but am sure the underhood temps easily were in the 140 F (60 C) range. Perhaps higher. When the outside air temp is already over 100 F, under the hood is positively painful. No perceptible voltage/state of charge anomalies noted in the 12 day trip.

The jury is still out (I'm an engineer), but so far I cannot recommend enough using LiFePO4 industrial grade batteries in automotive applications. Just not for the starter battery (yet).

Cheers - Jon

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A note on LiFePO4 as the second battery. A very positive note.

I am waiting to order my Bronco, so this experience is in my 2009 Chevy Tahoe. Other than that, it should be comparable to what happens in a Bronco.

I have the "towing option" for my Tahoe, there's space for a second type 24 battery behind the left headlight assembly. I have used deep-cycle marine batteries for over a decade in that position. I have a lot of radio and computer gear in my truck, and I leave things on for extended periods (days).

I have a 120 W solar panel hard-mounted on the roof, it wasn't easy to find one that fit in the location I picked, but it works fine.

A month ago, I finally bit the bullet on ditching the lead-acid battery for a LiFePO4 100Ah 12 volt. 100 amp built in battery management system (BMS). The battery is somewhat skinnier and taller than the old battery, so I had to modify the hold-down assembly. Some thread-rod and a generic battery hold-down bracket from Amazon, slightly modified, did the trick.

Resting voltage, charging voltage, and BMS low-voltage protection disconnect are all different between lead-acid and LiFePO4. Temp ranges are comparable, at least at the high end. Can't speak to cold wx, and I live in PHX. For me, this is an experiment, and I don't want to kill a brand-new LiFePO4 battery due to voltage issues.

I use a Hellroaring (hellroaring.com) smart battery isolator. It connects and at the same time isolates the starter battery from the second battery. It's quite trick and just seems to work. Automatic protection, no need to manually throw a switch under the hood to isolate. Highly recommend.

The solar panel connects only to the second battery.

Got it all installed and tested, then went on a 3600-mile road trip. Returned yesterday afternoon.

OMG, what a positive difference. The loads, adding up to maybe 4 amps continuous, with peaks to 25 amps, never even got close to depleting the LiFePO4 battery. Never even approached the 30-40% capacity remaining level (13.0 volts). With the lead-acid, I'd see voltage sags into the 11.8 volt range, which is pretty much end of capacity, and not good for the battery.

I did not have a temperature sensor mounted on the battery (yet), but am sure the underhood temps easily were in the 140 F (60 C) range. Perhaps higher. When the outside air temp is already over 100 F, under the hood is positively painful. No perceptible voltage/state of charge anomalies noted in the 12 day trip.

The jury is still out (I'm an engineer), but so far I cannot recommend enough using LiFePO4 industrial grade batteries in automotive applications. Just not for the starter battery (yet).

Cheers - Jon
A few pictures and actual solar panel/electric management system? I plan to permanently mount the panel on my rear half rack.

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

A few pictures and actual solar panel/electric management system? I plan to permanently mount the panel on my rear half rack.
Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build IMG_9955
Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build IMG_9954
Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build IMG_9956
Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build IMG_9957
Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build IMG_9717

i use 8 ga wire for my interconnects. 40 A fuses, except for the 50 A breaker that came with the Hellroaring.

The charge controller is a simple MPPT. Nothing fancy. An MPPT is kinda overkill, not that much efficiency difference, but I’m just that way:) The other box in the picture is an attempt at telemetering load current, battery voltage and temperature. Not done yet.

It's over 110 F here today. I did get out the IR Thermo and checked the surface temp of the battery once I pulled into the carport. Temp on multiple surfaces all in the 145-150 F range. Outside the LiFePO4 range, but not by much. (Ever read up on temp range for a lead-acid battery?)

hopefully some of the above is useful. Cheers - Jon

IMG_9721.JPG

Last edited:

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build IMG_9721.JPG

i use 8 ga wire for my interconnects. 40 A fuses, except for the 50 A breaker that came with the Hellroaring.

The charge controller is a simple MPPT. Nothing fancy. An MPPT is kinda overkill, not that much efficiency difference, but I’m just that way:) The other box in the picture is an attempt at telemetering load current, battery voltage and temperature. Not done yet.

It's over 110 F here today. I did get out the IR Thermo and checked the surface temp of the battery once I pulled into the carport. Temp on multiple surfaces all in the 145-150 F range. Outside the LiFePO4 range, but not by much. (Ever read up on temp range for a lead-acid battery?)

IMG_9721.JPG
Thanks!

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice info!!!👍👍 Thanks....

Made some notes for my overland trailer I'm working on. Racks are in and some preliminary wiring for lights. Still hashing the power supply source issues. 🤔

Need another beer!!! Lol

Sponsored

KermitBronco

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ha, ha, ha - we share GREAT taste. I'll see your Green Bronco and raise you a Stealth Wrap and American Adventure Lab interior complete with hidden RedArc system and 2000w inverter for using Induction cooktop, rice cooker, etc..

The Trailrax TRMR is SWEET and even allowed a "trick" way to mount MaxTrax Xtreme boards on the roof and still fit in the garage.

Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build AirUp Small

Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build HR07 Lunch Small

Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build AAL Lunch Small

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrailRax

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha, ha, ha - we share GREAT taste. I'll see your Green Bronco and raise you a Stealth Wrap and American Adventure Lab interior complete with hidden RedArc system and 2000w inverter for using Induction cooktop, rice cooker, etc..

The Trailrax TRMR is SWEET and even allowed a "trick" way to mount MaxTrax Xtreme boards on the roof and still fit in the garage.

Nice build! We will raise you a long travel kit from RPG avoiding any body lifts and getting more travel numbers than a Bronco Raptor...

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is a sweet setup and good looking truck!!! 👍👍

Well done...

KermitBronco

Badlands
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice build! We will raise you a long travel kit from RPG avoiding any body lifts and getting more travel numbers than a Bronco Raptor...
Touche! Well, I'll see your RPG and raise you a Dana44 upfront and Camburg/Fox Elite suspension. In 48 hours we add a Dana 60 and BroncBuster Steering rack, get it race weighed, order and install custom Eibach springs and remove the ugly body-lift. You're correct - body-lifts aren't ideal and this is why we've stayed under the radar until it's done. But either way, that TRMR rack is awesome! Ha, Ha, Ha!!

Ford Bronco TrailRax Badlands Bronco Build Trailrax1

Emmitt

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Where did you get the "Don't Pet the Bronco" patch? I love it.
Sponsored