Gump
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Ranger, 1986 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I tend to fat finger typing on this tablet and didn't catch it, fify
Funny... but I actually googled 8fvford to see if there was something I was missing.

Zero search results... lol

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Personally I still disagree with the opinion on the recession. As Dave mentioned the strong resale of the FJ to this day shows that there was/is a demand for the vehicle. The stat I would be interested to see would be in the years after the other vehicles ceased production, what did new car buyers buy instead? You have to think a potential Xterra buyer probably went for a 4runner or Wrangler.

And the whole top needs to come off or I'm buying a Gladiator! Lol.
As an original 2006/2007 FJ Cruiser who is amazed at how well it has retained its value... We love the FJ. We put money down over a year before it came out.. We took delivery on day one. Its never been to a dealer other than a few recalls and most recently a transmission flush (that became a disaster)...

The FJ has a few quirks that held it back. The clam shell doors. They worked fine when we lived in Colorado with big parking spaces and no kids. Now that we have kids and live in Seattle, its a PIA. Its a shuffle to get the kids out of the back seat. When they were in car seats, we had to get them out before we pulled into the parking spot. It just doesn't work. The rear blind spot was never a big deal for us. We never intended it to be a rock crawler. We had a Jeep on 37s (Hi pinion 9" front, ARB/detroit locker, Atlas T case)..

My general feeling is that the FJ as way too much body to get bashed up to seriously off road. The rear tail lights SCREAM break me. The doors are likely super sensitive to alignment. Jeep has front fenders (and after market replacements) that are easy to swap out. Taking the top off a Jeep takes the potential for a lot of body damage out of the equation.

The Bronco will likely be the same. A lot of expensive body parts. Sure there are those that take some epic trails with their FJ Cruisers. Lots of videos/images of the carnage that ensues. An FJ today would probably be north of $40k, I am betting the Bronco is closer to $50k.

Maybe I am an old fart, but I am not taking a $50k rig anywhere the likelihood of body damage is high. Forest roads, easy trails, camping, exploring.

I also would like to believe (no evidence) that 80% of Jeeps are treated the same way..

Here is our Jeep in the day... and my EB in progress...
DSCN0716.JPG
Tahoejune2002f.JPG

Wheeler Lake2001b.JPG

Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
1. The mustang is literally designed around fitting a V8 in a smaller vehicle. Like, that is #1 or #2 on the big ā€˜ol list of design parameters that a Mustang has. The Bronco it was deemed my guess is very early on not something that was needed.

2. The ā€œnewā€ T6 sounds like it is not completely clean sheet, just a major overhaul. If the original T6 couldnā€™t even fit a V6 some serious redesigning would be needed for a V8, possibly with other compromises being needed. Ford deemed it not worth it.

3. So I donā€™t know why you brought up V8 competitors at all? Iā€™m sure Jeep would love to stuff a hemi in the wrangler but there is pretty obviously reasons itā€™s not practical. Keep in mind this is the same company that stuck a damn hellcat engine in a grand Cherokee. The fact that the wrangler remains with the top engine being a V6 diesel after all these years means there are likely very difficult barriers to putting a V8 in there.
Having had both a 5.0 and a 2.7, I can tell you the 2.7 will need a lot more room than the 5.0 due to all of the turbo piping.

The wrangler is a very narrow sloping towards the front, so the longer the engine, the more it gets crowded at the front. The hemis and LS motors do fit, but keep in mind aftermarket stuff is usually packaged quite a bit tighter than factory installs. That's why they could get a long ass but narrow I6, or a v6 in the later ones... V8s would be a tight squeeze for one, and there's not a whole lot of room for a large radiator...

Neither one of those problems exist with the boxier bronco.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
F150 and Ranger Raptor sales are driven by the image of the trophy truck racers -- 900hp, long suspension, high speed, super wide. It remains to be seen what Ford intends the image of the Bronco to be, but trophy truck is going to be difficult with its form.
This x11000000000. What would the mustang be with just the ecoboost and not the GT/GT500? When you see a powerwheels F150, it's the raptor not a lariat. What would the Lancer have been without the evo? Or the WRX without the STI? In each case, each of those cars would be terrible on their merits - a 4 cylinder mustang is a large vehicle that's cramped on the inside, gets terrible fuel economy for a 4 banger, and in the hands of an inexperienced driver it tends to crowd surf... not a great recipe for selling a car.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Having had both a 5.0 and a 2.7, I can tell you the 2.7 will need a lot more room than the 5.0 due to all of the turbo piping.

The wrangler is a very narrow sloping towards the front, so the longer the engine, the more it gets crowded at the front. The hemis and LS motors do fit, but keep in mind aftermarket stuff is usually packaged quite a bit tighter than factory installs. That's why they could get a long ass but narrow I6, or a v6 in the later ones... V8s would be a tight squeeze for one, and there's not a whole lot of room for a large radiator...

Neither one of those problems exist with the boxier bronco.
And dry weight of both the 2.7 and 5.0 are very nearly the same. 440 vs 444

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And dry weight of both the 2.7 and 5.0 are very nearly the same. 440 vs 444
Werd. I wish my coyote was built like the 2.7... those rods are massive by comparisson. I'd be able to run a lot more boost on the 'yote. All of Ford's powertrains are great choices (except for maybe the 1.6 and 2.0 in the ST due to the weight of the bronco), so I'm not too worried about it... But I do think they are missing the boat on not offering a 5.0 from a "we got something wrangler doesn't" perspective.

I liked my pentastar, I love my 4.0 i6, but would take a 2.3, 2.7, 3.5, 5.0, 6.2, 7.3 over either one of those :)

Sponsored

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If it does come with a SFA.....it better NOT do this ! :mad::cwl:

That puts a hole in your seat the first time it happens. The next time it puts hair on your chest. I test drove a TJ rubicon and I could tell from the shape of the thing it's gonna do it... I asked the salesman if they test drove it, he goes yeah, it's perfect... hit 50mph and the guy just about shit a brick when it started... :cwl:

I offered to bring a trailer and take it off his hands for 8 grand less, they said they couldn't sell it because of liability issues...

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it does come with a SFA.....it better NOT do this ! :mad::cwl:

I never had that happen on my leaf spring super duty, 8ā€ lift, 37ā€™s and drove it that way over 100k miles.
Iā€™m sure someone more technical will weigh in why itā€™s so inherent on the Wrangler.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I never had that happen on my leaf spring super duty, 8ā€ lift, 37ā€™s and drove it that way over 100k miles.
Iā€™m sure someone more technical will weigh in why itā€™s so inherent on the Wrangler.
Lots of super duty guys report the same issue. Iā€™ve never experienced it though on my early bronco, F350, or F450.

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lots of super duty guys report the same issue. Iā€™ve never experienced it though on my early bronco, F350, or F450.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was only on the coil spring super duties (05+?).