Sponsored

Low CG, max articulation, and biggest tire size without interference?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the shock length in the rear is more of a limiting factor than factory control arms binding up. Factory bushing are pretty soft they flex decent I think for the amount of droop the shock allows.
You're probably right.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Sasquatch vs Badlands Articulation (Update 1/2/2022)
While the Bilstein coilover's are 0.43" taller on the Sasquatch vs the Badlands, they also have a 0.4" Bump stop vs the Badlands, limiting articulation, so the larger 35" tires don't top out on the fender well. Therefore, Sasquatch with 35" tires has Less articulation, not more."​

Or are you just talking about the shocks themselves?
The dimensions are theoretical calculations based on the Ford publications (see Table 5 below). These are the total suspension/trim height differences, but shown as dimensions on the coilover assemblies for simplicity.
Now that we have the Ford General Specifications document, Bilstein Coilover Information and Ford Part Number information we can finally get a clear and complete picture on what the stock Bronco lift dimensions are and what is possible to lift each trim level.

Ford Bronco Low CG, max articulation, and biggest tire size without interference? 1623675007580-

Ford Bronco Low CG, max articulation, and biggest tire size without interference? 1628166169031-

Ford Bronco Low CG, max articulation, and biggest tire size without interference? 1623679999570-

Last edited:

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All the Bronco Bilstein shocks are the same length 6100, 5100 and SAS. Switching between them only changes ride height not total travel.
That’s good info. Thanks for the insight!

OP
OP

Brak101

Badlands
First Name
Brak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All the Bronco Bilstein shocks are the same length 6100, 5100 and SAS. Switching between them only changes ride height not total travel.
So am I missing something in thinking that a .5” leveling kit would lower the travel range of the shock (relative to the frame)? Isn’t this effectively just transitioning the unused range of the Sasquatch (due to bigger bump stops) to be additional droop?

I’m still a bit confused about the bump stop on the Sasquatch. My understanding was that even if the shock had the same travel, the bump stop didn’t allow the full up travel due to blocking from tire rub. And if your saying the shocks have the same range, my impression from that information is that the bump stops are basically “robbing” Sasquatch broncos of that down travel.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I mean like chopping the brackets off the frame. The Broncbuster broncos have them chopped up pretty good to fit the big meats they are running.

We know 35’s fit on the regular badlands but require wheel spacers.
I’m also convinced in my mind that the stock rear control arms limit movement so that is where I’m going to go next.

Yeah, the rear sucks. That was my first upgrade and well worth the expense. I'd lift a rear tire going over anything. After about a month or so old, the rubber bushings in my trailing arms were already hard and cracked.

Ford Bronco Low CG, max articulation, and biggest tire size without interference? E70DF743-9818-4F52-A765-EBB05DDEBE6B

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think the shock length in the rear is more of a limiting factor than factory control arms binding up. Factory bushing are pretty soft they flex decent I think for the amount of droop the shock allows.

So the rear trailing arms and rear track bar use hard rubber bushings that have very little movement. I easily got more movement out of my rear axle by replacing them, while retaining the Bilsteins. Now that I've gone to the Icons I've gained a few more inches of usable travel, but the rear suspension is too tight as is. There are real gains to be had by upgrading those joints, and now there are quite a few to choose from.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So the rear trailing arms and rear track bar use hard rubber bushings that have very little movement. I easily got more movement out of my rear axle by replacing them, while retaining the Bilsteins. Now that I've gone to the Icons I've gained a few more inches of usable travel, but the rear suspension is too tight as is. There are real gains to be had by upgrading those joints, and now there are quite a few to choose from.
The rear is what I was referring too, at least with the Sasquatch struts I don’t think the factory arms would limit any droop.

Which Icons did you go with I’ve been looking into longer struts this week. I don’t want to over extend the front but the rear I want as much as I can get. I plan to make my own arms with some 7075 and metal cloak duraflex joints.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So am I missing something in thinking that a .5” leveling kit would lower the travel range of the shock (relative to the frame)? Isn’t this effectively just transitioning the unused range of the Sasquatch (due to bigger bump stops) to be additional droop?

I’m still a bit confused about the bump stop on the Sasquatch. My understanding was that even if the shock had the same travel, the bump stop didn’t allow the full up travel due to blocking from tire rub. And if your saying the shocks have the same range, my impression from that information is that the bump stops are basically “robbing” Sasquatch broncos of that down travel.
Bump stops rob up travel!

I have been trying to figure out what spring rates work the best. I stuck with Hitachi base springs because they are longer/softer which should help with travel. SAS springs are 2-3" shorter and stiffer.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The rear is what I was referring too, at least with the Sasquatch struts I don’t think the factory arms would limit any droop.

Which Icons did you go with I’ve been looking into longer struts this week. I don’t want to over extend the front but the rear I want as much as I can get. I plan to make my own arms with some 7075 and metal cloak duraflex joints.

Yeah, I edited probably while you were typing as I finally figured out you were talking about the rear. Don't know why I thought the front.

I have the Icon 2.5 IR coilovers. I just don't need the added capability of the external reservoir as most of my stuff is slow speed. Mine are set at the lowest setting with no preload.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Metalcloak has been slow to roll out products, especially since they pride them selves in suspension.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, I edited probably while you were typing as I finally figured out you were talking about the rear. Don't know why I thought the front.

I have the Icon 2.5 IR coilovers. I just don't need the added capability of the external reservoir as most of my stuff is slow speed. Mine are set at the lowest setting with no preload.
Hate to go off topic but that’s kinda what I’m wanted to do too. Is it pretty close to Sasquatch height on the lowest settings?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hate to go off topic but that’s kinda what I’m wanted to do too. Is it pretty close to Sasquatch height on the lowest settings?

Depends on the vehicle. I have a 2 door black diamond with the M190 and get far more lift than a 4 door with the M210. At the lowest setting I'm getting over 26 inches front, 27 inches rear, center axle to metal fender. I'm sure a heavier vehicle would be 1/2 inch less at least. I'll be adding more weight this winter, so the extra lift is a plus for me.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Metalcloak has been slow to roll out products, especially since they pride them selves in suspension.
I ran their joints on my 1 ton JKU and really liked them. They really max out what you can get on your set up and had no vibrations that I could ever feel. I also thought about waiting and see what Rock Krawlers new flex joint has to offer but I can find any info on their site about it just watched a video few days ago of it beating out the duraflex joints.

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Depends on the vehicle. I have a 2 door black diamond with the M190 and get far more lift than a 4 door with the M210. At the lowest setting I'm getting over 26 inches front, 27 inches rear, center axle to metal fender. I'm sure a heavier vehicle would be 1/2 inch less at least. I'll be adding more weight this winter, so the extra lift is a plus for me.
Are you completely happy with them.
Sponsored