BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
UK news: Auto Express

Jeep has confirmed it will launch a new “ultra compact” utility vehicle in 2022. Designed to sit below the Renegade in the company’s line-up, Jeep’s latest off-roader will act as a rival to the Suzuki Jimny
So the Roxer? They buy their IP back?
Sponsored

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
2 words: range anxiety

vehicles are more than a transport mechanism...they are an icon of personal freedom. Forum members always bring up the example of Wrangler buyers never actually using it to crawl rocks - but they know they could! In similar fashion with an ICE vehicle and a few dollars for gas, you could potentially get a wild hair on the way to work...decide to skip the office and drive to the beach instead.

Unless and until the industry solves range/refuel issues electric vehicles will remain niche

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
What they’re worth, and what they cost to make, are two different things.
I see what you are saying. Perhaps poor word choice on my post, but I suspect you understand the point I was trying to make.

Sponsored

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
never underestimate the human mind..... how many years will we have to endure all the cars, and there's gonna be MANY, whose drivers didn't keep an eye on their battery charge stuck on the roads??
Oh brother :headbang::headbang:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

vehicles are more than a transport mechanism...they are an icon of personal freedom. Forum members always bring up the example of Wrangler buyers never actually using it to crawl rocks - but they know they could! In similar fashion with an ICE vehicle and a few dollars for gas, you could potentially get a wild hair on the way to work...decide to skip the office and drive to the beach instead.

Unless and until the industry solves range/refuel issues electric vehicles will remain niche
Agreed I think range anxiety is a significant thing with some people, even if their driving habits indicate it shouldn't be. I've tried to reason with some of these people without much success. Maybe there is some left over evolutionary baggage related to range anxiety, lol. As an urban driver I would have no range anxiety with the current 200 mile or so all-electrics. Probably 80% of my family driving in my urban area could be accommodated by the all-electric, and we still have a gasoline vehicle if a longer trip is needed.

But also I think cost is a key factor - certainly for me. The cost even with rebate of an all-electric is still in my opinion too high for essentially an economy car. In some cases the buyer is paying 10 grand more compared to a similar economy car gasoline version that will get around 40mpg or higher. When car makers get a vehicle like the Bolt down to under 20 grand, then I would buy for use as a family eco car.

BHShaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Highlander
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
300 Miles and 10min 80% Charge is pretty close to taking care of that.
But even so, EVHybrid is a good bridge. Port over the Energi tech to Bronco and you have happy customers.
Look good around town for 20 miles with the top off before the gas kicks in.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
never underestimate the human mind..... how many years will we have to endure all the cars, and there's gonna be MANY, whose drivers didn't keep an eye on their battery charge stuck on the roads??
Oh brother :headbang::headbang:
Why haven't they come out with small packs you can throw in the trunk, like carrying
a 5 gallon can of gas, that could be used in a pinch.

No such thing as range anxiety, only range deficiency.
"anxiety" was trotted out for the same stupid reason that
this thread was made.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/technophobes-how-scared-is-too-scared.839/

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Elon should develop a small generator for his cars. Going on a long road trip? Put two gallons of fuel in, get an extra 80 miles. Lmao. The reality of it all is, the "300 mile range" is in optimum conditions. So if you are on a road trip, in canada, with the heat blowing and seat warmers on. Guess what, the battery is cold and not happy. Heat is draining the juice. So much so that your range dropped to 200 miles. Now theres not a fast charger for 1000 miles, so your stuck slow charging every 200 miles. While that super duty diesel with the extended range tank makes it to the same destination a day earlier than you. Todays world, we want every second. So until the battery tech is up to snuff, and the infrastructure is in place. EVs will remain a relatively urban only form of transportation. Other countries, where populations are dense its fine. In the USA where you can go 2-300 miles down a highway and not see a thing other than the road ahead? Not so much. Hybrids are essentially the only way to go until then.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Why haven't they come out with small packs you can throw in the trunk, like carrying
a 5 gallon can of gas, that could be used in a pinch.

No such thing as range anxiety, only range deficiency.
"anxiety" was trotted out for the same stupid reason that
this thread was made.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/technophobes-how-scared-is-too-scared.839/
I like that idea. There could be a universal port on the vehicle which accepts a moderate sized portable pack, to allow the user to get home. (Universal would be nice because a friend could loan a pack.) It would be like you indicated an electric version of a gasoline can.

I think it's "range anxiety" for users who simply don't have a case to support why the range is deficient. A friend of mine was going on about lack of electric range, then I got a sheet of paper and wrote out his typical driving for a week. Turned out the electric was fine for him by a very comfortable margin. (And like many people he would still have a second gasoline vehicle.) So his concern was not based much on the reality of his usage.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
a 5 gallon can of gas, that could be used in a pinch....
It would weigh 200+ lbs, and that's not convenient or subtle like a 30lb jug the size of a briefcase. It would probably cost $2k too, so it's not like you'd want to leave it anywhere exposed like a $5 plastic jug or even a $50 Jerry can.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
range anxiety is a significant thing with some people, even if their driving habits indicate it shouldn't be
A rocket scientist once told me the most powerful force in the universe is 'inertia', as it takes far more energy to move a body at rest than to alter the trajectory of one already in motion. My point on EVs is they lack compelling reasons for someone to adapt.

Using the logic that EVs most likely meet your need most of the time might not be sufficient. Using the 'save the environment' argument belies the reality that 99.99% of folks have yet to alter personal behavior at all in that cause.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think it's "range anxiety" for users who simply don't have a case to support why the range is deficient. A friend of mine was going on about lack of electric range, then I got a sheet of paper and wrote out his typical driving for a week. Turned out the electric was fine for him by a very comfortable margin. (And like many people he would still have a second gasoline vehicle.) So his concern was not based much on the reality of his usage.
Why is it anxiety? It's common sense to question it, until it is foolproof like it is now with IC engines and gas stations.

"For example, AAA’s testers determined that the Tesla’s range when fully charged at 75 degrees was 239 miles, but it fell to 91 miles, or 38%, at 20 degrees."

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/cold-weather-saps-electric-car-batteries-2019-02-07

Been back and forth to my parents house a lot lately after work (their in 80's now and need a lot of help).
It's 52 miles one way, and that's from home. 24 miles round trip to work, assuming no lunch trip or
errands (but if that, add 10-15 more miles).

That's 143 miles in one day with NOWHERE to charge (and no time or desire to stop, not even for gas).
I'm leaving for work @ 5:30 AM and not getting home until sometimes 10 PM. No effin way I am going to stop
anywhere else, not for even 15 minutes.

So in winter, typical current EV (unless you spend 60-100 grand to get max ranges) won't even make it.
And you are not supposed to charge 100% all the time, so really 80%, unless you are clairvoyant and know
when your mother is going to need help with something, at least one day ahead of time (many times, I don't).
Add to that I don't drive 65, I drive at EV range killing speeds.

main-qimg-2f672625b5143dba91c6129b734cf8cd-c.jpg

My DD is the only car I take out in salted roads, so no, I'm not going to maintain 2 cars for
winter use, because one runs out of range and can't be refilled in a timely manner.

So when I can get the same 400 miles of range (in any weather, at any speed) in 2 minutes,
ANYWHERE, then I'd might be interested (if the price is not way more, which is not the case yet).
Sponsored