Sponsored

What is the appeal of the spare tire delete?

HCGxKaLiBeR

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In all my sedans, I take the donut out of the trunk. So they go faster/lighter and improve MPG.

On the other hand, Bronco without the spare just look wierd. I can forget about 0 - 60 and MPG on a Bronco so I left it there :LOL:
Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There are use cases that warrant running without a spare tire. I have a lot of friends who do, and on some pretty hard core trails. But these are usually trailered to the OHV area, so there is usually a spare back at camp that somebody can run-git if they need it.

Ford Bronco What is the appeal of the spare tire delete? nospare

But these guys usually run better tires (BFG Krawlers), know what they're doing, carry plug kits and other supplies, and basically just make the conscious decision to favor lighter weight and better departure angle over the risk of cutting a tire.

That said, I doubt this mindset is optimal for most Bronco 6G owners and how they use their Broncos. For most of us I agree, best to carry a spare "just in case", if you're getting far from home or camp.

But I can see other situations where it might be preferred. If you're mostly driving on the street and you have sturdy off-road tires and you simply prefer the cleaner look of not having the spare tire on the back, I think that's a valid use-case to risk not needing it. I have a "beach mode" for my Bronco that would probably look better without the spare (top off, donut doors on), and I'd be fine assuming the risk on those occasions.

cracKen

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Badlands 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its a city car 99% of the time unless I'm specifically going on a trip so why have an extra 50lbs there all the time? That and i'm inspired by some Jeep ultra-light builds. I could care less about perception, its my car.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Personally, I like the "wheel only", no tire look(NOT)...Mall Crawling RULES! lol

Sponsored

SasquatchMansquatch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 door basquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just really want to know.
There are a handful of arguments for it:

- Some people just like the look
- It makes opening the rear door easier
- Concerns about theft
- Can put a cargo box there instead for a camping trip
- less weight improves gas mileage slightly

I'm not removing mine, I really like having a full size spare if I get a flat. This is especially true if you get a flat a long distance from home. If I'm 200 miles from home or up in the mountains, I really don't want to get a flat without my spare, since I'm looking at a tow, which might be hard to get if I'm a ways from cell reception, and then you're looking at a long wait. I have free towing, so that helps, but still, I don't want to wait hours for a tow, just to potentially have to wait for a tire shop to open up the next morning in a small town, or whatever. But for somebody just using their bronco as a daily driver and around town, I could see why they might want to remove it.

ChrisCozart

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond (non-Sas.)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'd be open to a spare delete if it was more of a replacement gate that didn't have all of the mounting holes and plastic vents that are exposed when the spare is removed....much like the OG Broncos.

ColonelAngus

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 07 BMW 335i, 05 Saab 9-5 Aero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just really want to know.
Wasting your money, making your vehicle less useful, making it look worse.... I'm sure I forgot some stuff.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

AlexInNY

Big Bend
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 428; Grand Wagoneer; MB 230E; Pacifica
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m considering a delete. I don’t currently like the look but feel like I could get used to it. My off-roading is limited to driving on the beach and through New York City. If you don’t think that counts, you should drive on some of the roads in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

I am considering it because I feel confident that my Ridge Grapplers won’t blow on the roads I drive, and every time I park on the street I worry that someone is going to try to squeeze into a spot behind me by bumping into my spare and denting the tailgate. Getting ride of the spare would reduce that risk and allow me to fit into slightly smaller spots. I’m considering it out of necessity.

But still, I don’t know. The look is awkward.

Sponsored

BeachTiger

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are use cases that warrant running without a spare tire. I have a lot of friends who do, and on some pretty hard core trails. But these are usually trailered to the OHV area, so there is usually a spare back at camp that somebody can run-git if they need it.
^^^ This. You can make an argument for not carrying a spare on the street since you probably have roadside assistance and likely won't face mortal peril if you have to wait an hour for a tow truck. But do your wheeling buddies a favor and carry one off road or at a minimum keep the spare back at camp where it can be retrieved. Pretty much the only place I've ever needed to use a spare on my previous Jeeps was off road (cut sidewalls in each case). And this applies to the mismatched/incorrectly sized spare as well (topic of another recent thread)... you can probably get away with a smaller spare on the road in 2wd with open diffs, but try that in a hairy off road situation in 4wd and/or locked and you can trash your t-case and differentials. My previous off road club required all members to carry a full size spare when wheeling. The only exception was buggies. Those guys always had double beadlocks and 40s so they could drag themselves off the rocks at 0 PSI anyway.

Mikey D

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mikedelninno.com
Vehicle(s)
2005 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just ordered the SRQ Fabrications spare tire delete kit, primarily for the bottle-opener :sneaky:(KIDDING). Installing for all the reasons already stated. Oh, and the wife doesn't really dig it when she's opening the tailgate to throw in groceries. If I head out for a long trip, it's not really a big deal to reinstall the tire carrier.

daddycreswell

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs