Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands non-sas 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The two things I thought necessary for my regular use of the vehicle we're recovery gear and an air compressor. And those were the first things I purchased. Now depending on how much you want to spend on that, you can get an onboard compressor or standalone one that you clip to the battery when needed. I opted for the latter as it seemed more useful in a group. The next step for me was a radio and the roof rack. I started buying two handhelds but eventually purchased an MXT575 that I have yet to install. The handheld radios have already proven useful. The roof rack will be my next purchase, and we'll get used soon after.

Anyway, I'm sure you don't need a play-by-play from me. My point is, as others have mentioned, just focus on the things you find yourself needing throughout your travels, and just buy as you go. Then once you find yourself not needing anything else you can have fun with the extras. However, not everything you "need" would be considered a modification to the vehicle, in my case the standalone air compressor. I might eventually go on board but I consider it unnecessary at this point. I might need winch at some point as well, but I usually go out with a group and at least one person has always a winch so I've not needed one yet lol!
Sponsored

OP
OP
l88m22vette

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I appreciate the continued responses and advice, it is all really great folks!

I also have no idea where the title emojis came from, thanks mod! πŸ˜‰

Arrmjr

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord and Civic
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

GF is loving her Badsquatch, and so far we're looking at some step bars. Other than that she's not one to modify her vehicles much.

I totally understand the "when is it enough" feeling though. My Chevy SS is heavily modified and I'm doingore upgrades over the winter. Bigger supercharger, upgraded cooling for it, bigger injectoes/pump, etc.

Many people go by the 'better to have and not need...' way of thinking. But then some do go off road trail riding too where it comes in handy. It's your Bronco so do what you want to it. Like my SS, do I really need 900sh hp to get groceries? No, but it sure is fun. 😁
You need to get the ice cream home before it melts!

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a matter of vehicle philosophy--and budget.
First, you're alert that there's an overabundance of stuff. Think of the marketplace for Wrangler--and Bronco is catching up.
Distinguish between the cosmetic (image) and what you'll use. A third category is what you might use, eventually. The problem with #3 is you may find yourself off-road wishing you had that winch or kinetic tow strap.
Take a Bronco Off-Roadeo course as soon as you can. It will show you what the truck can do, and give you confidence pushing it to its limits. And you may find that driving to rough country backroads and trails ((Dakota Badlands, maybe?) is a new pleasure you never expected to enjoy, but do. Plenty of videos out there to give you a vicarious taste.
Connect with other Bronco owners and join a group drive or two. That will give you safety and good exposure to what off-roading is all about.
But you're very right about the plethora of gear. A technician at my modification shop told me, "90% of what I put on trucks never goes off road." :cautious:

Googz13

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've always been a car guy, and know which mods are useful and which are more bling that substance. The Badlands is my first truck, I'm thinking about fun 4x4 stuff for the first time, and I'm new to this whole aspect of the automotive hobby. I'm from IL, and the Great Lakes aren't know for rugged peaks and great changes in elevation, so any serious mods would see use in a 4x4 park or on a road trip.

I have had this thing for less than 3 weeks and my head is already spinning with all the parts that are available. I got the Badlands since I wanted something very capable from the factory, and am trying to take a less is more approach since I've dumped a lot of money on other cars in the past. I've been putting together a realistic list of things to do, but I've found myself going down the rabbit-hole of "Hmm, I bet that could be useful, eventually..."

Like, do I really need a winch? Do I waste my time chasing down the extended breather vents from the Everglades? A roof rack sounds like something I'd need, but if I bought this larger vehicle for room doesn't that defeat the purpose? Basically, I'm trying to fill in the gaps to cover what wasn't from the factory, and I don't want to just buy a bunch of crap I'm not sure I'd ever use. A month ago I'd never looked at a recovery board but spent 15 minutes on them last night, and didn't buy any because I realized they'd look great taking up cargo space.
I have been finding most of it is crap you will never use.

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh just wait till you're out on the trail!

Me before: Why do all these off-road people need so many lights
Me later: Okay, I'll add a few so I can see through this desert dust
Me now: I need all the lights

Personally I still think light bars across the windshield are overkill and ugly :) I paid a whopping $185 to some store off Ali Express and got 8x Baja designs copies that work just fine. I put six of them down in the fog pocket using the bracket from 4x4truckleds and their wiring harness. Total spent was like.. $350? Personally I think the LED lighting market is raping us blind with 30-40% product margins, but hey whatever. The american manufacturers clearly ahve better housing and optics but they all use the SAME CREE LEDs

Tailgate table: Do you cook? I cook at camp, I make coffee. Trailgator was one of my favorite mods after I threw the roughcountry one in the garbage. I use this ALOT

GoRhino side steps, kids and wife couldn't get in the car very easily
Later thoughts: still happy with the D6, I love that I can stand on them super easily. Not too concerned about using them as sliders

OEM Cargo area security drawer by Tuffy: I just removed it, its for sale. This was poorly designed and wastes a TON of space everywhere. My goose gear base plate arrives today, and I think I'll pretty much only be adding a fridge slide, but not for a while. Its nice having much more cargo area back

bestop mesh bimini: it worked okay, I have a JTOP to replace it that I can now finally install that the weather is cool, the adhesive velcro installation would not cooperate with searing hot socal days

IAG soft top struts: honestly I love these just for the fact that I don't need to hold or prop the soft top anymore, the assist it provdies for lowering and raising the top is actually not much of a help or concern to me

Kicker Key Amp and Harness & Kicker speakers: This made a massive, and I mean massive difference in sound quality. It's hardly audiophile quality, but I'm happy

winch (or lack thereof): everyone else in my group has one, therefore I don't need one :D

wheels/tires : I'm leaving this alone for now, my Goodyears no longer seem to collect rocks now that they're broken in, and they seem to be a very good tire for the road, and they get the job done on the trail. when they are worn out, I'll be fitting something more durable as my kids get older and i do more distance and time on my trips, probably a nitto because hey, grapplers sound cool. personally, I like the factory wheels, but the methods with beadgrip nicely offset the additional weight that a more durable tire will add, so I'll probably get 701s, im just not in a hurry

overall theme: get functional shit first, and get out there and enjoy your rig

gdp

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a young man I routinely heaped on aftermarket gizmos on my vehicles. As I got older, less and less gizmos. Now at geezer status , a trailer hitch, rain proof cover for when the top is off, and T screw handles to replace the bolts that hold the top on. This is the extent of my β€œ required” gizmos.
I agree with you on all items. What "rain proof cover" are you using when the top is off?

jaboticaba

Outer Banks
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3 Chevy Truck
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I've always been a car guy, and know which mods are useful and which are more bling that substance. The Badlands is my first truck, I'm thinking about fun 4x4 stuff for the first time, and I'm new to this whole aspect of the automotive hobby. I'm from IL, and the Great Lakes aren't know for rugged peaks and great changes in elevation, so any serious mods would see use in a 4x4 park or on a road trip.

I have had this thing for less than 3 weeks and my head is already spinning with all the parts that are available. I got the Badlands since I wanted something very capable from the factory, and am trying to take a less is more approach since I've dumped a lot of money on other cars in the past. I've been putting together a realistic list of things to do, but I've found myself going down the rabbit-hole of "Hmm, I bet that could be useful, eventually..."

Like, do I really need a winch? Do I waste my time chasing down the extended breather vents from the Everglades? A roof rack sounds like something I'd need, but if I bought this larger vehicle for room doesn't that defeat the purpose? Basically, I'm trying to fill in the gaps to cover what wasn't from the factory, and I don't want to just buy a bunch of crap I'm not sure I'd ever use. A month ago I'd never looked at a recovery board but spent 15 minutes on them last night, and didn't buy any because I realized they'd look great taking up cargo space.
Best thing when you live in the wealthiest free economy in the world. The market will dictate while we enjoy the competition.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Take it out and use it. Figure out if you enjoy off-roading. Figure out what your Bronco can't do that you would like it to do. The more you use it and explore the clearer it will be what you really need. Basic recovery gear should be a must for anyone that ventures off-road. Beyond that get out and enjoy it.

F150Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
F150
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
i bought a F150. Thought I might need variety of modifications. Changed the radio antenna and put Premium decal in black.

And that’s it. I realized that the truck was more than what I needed. It didn’t have to look like a Raptor, I didn’t need different set of tires or wheels.

Sponsored

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Be sure to get some body colored recovery shackles to hang off your bumper full time so you can look like a real 4 wheeler (or poser). Some recovery boards strapped on somewhere all the time are also nearly as cool, as is a Hi-Lift jack on the back for everyone to see :p

Seriously, a good start is to watch some of the Ronny Dahl videos on YouTube regarding tools sets and recovery gear. He does a good job on explaining different things and when and why they might be needed.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My advice is use it like it is for at least a few months and note every time you say "I wish I".

I thought I had to have a tailgate table before I took the time to get to know the vehicle, turns out it was a complete waste of money for me and I never use it.
And don't buy the first version of some accessory, odds are something better will be out in a couple months, I have a lift kit and door sill guards I wish I didn't.

Now as far a tailgate table: I've only used mine as a table a couple times, but it's utility for a Molle panel for recovery gear (tow strap, army shovel, saw, bag-o-shackles) can't be beat, right there when you need them!

20220227_132011.jpg
928.jpg

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Oh no kidding. When the Bronco was announced I watched every overlanding video and made a list of what I wanted. Reading bronco6g.com, I wanted more. Two years later, I've pared the list down to about 1/10th. I had to be realistic about needs vs wants.

Adding pocket fogs and ditch lights were down on the list. After whacking a deer, they moved to the very top.

Edit: sidesteps were the very first item I purchased for the Bronco. I needed them to get up into the Bronco, plus the side panel protection.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am very much a practical guy, but the bug has even bitten me to some extent.
I started with an OBX with Lux and Tow.

Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« received_1670734536661668

And ended up with this...

Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« OBX offroad

Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« IMG_20221019_152453

Ford Bronco When are enough mods enough? A new truck owner discovers the 4x4 aftermarket πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« IMG_20220910_181104

50,000 miles later.

HOSS 2.0 Badlands Suspension
Hood Struts
Rims/Tires
Winch
Tow Hooks
HOSS 3.0 Steering Rack
Too many FORSCAN mods
and the list goes on... LOL
Sponsored