Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

Buckin’Around

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mercedes Benz ML63
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have wanted a 4Runner TRD Off Road for a good year and a half hardcore. Then I drove a couple. They have crap low end power and they’re slow and feel like they are from 1995.
Sponsored

GMan

Outer Banks
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cayenne Porsche
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
What appeals you to the 2021 Ford Bronco over other competitors such as the Toyota 4runner and Jeep Wrangler? Explain.
Jeep has bad reputation for quality. They have been getting away with make sub-par product for decades without competition, just like Land Rover. Jeep leaks water from the doors into cabin, quality of product is not what it should be and styling is tired. Been waiting for the bronco for years. I got what I wanted since I rode in a brand new one in 1976 when I was going to school at WVU.

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think Bronco may steal more 4Runner enthusiast, than Wrangler ones. At least Jeep keeps updating the tech and ride quality. My 2015 4Runner is the same as the upcoming 2021 4Runner. LED headlights and paint colors are the only differences.

Toyota really needs to think about its next Gen 4Runner. It is still selling well, not to off-road enthusiast, but to people looking for a cool mid-sized SUV. But the Bronco will steal away those mall crawlers too.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think Bronco may steal more 4Runner enthusiast, than Wrangler ones. At least Jeep keeps updating the tech and ride quality. My 2015 4Runner is the same as the upcoming 2021 4Runner. LED headlights and paint colors are the only differences.

Toyota really needs to think about its next Gen 4Runner. It is still selling well, not to off-road enthusiast, but to people looking for a cool mid-sized SUV. But the Bronco will steal away those mall crawlers too.
Your 2015 also doesn’t have the new 2020 CarPlay and new gauge cluster, otherwise don’t fix what ain’t broke I suppose.

AK0311

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Jeep Renegade TH and a 97 Kawasaki Vulcan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In the last 13 years, my household has spent over $100,000 on NEW FCA vehicles and about another $50,000 on pre-owned FCA vehicles. The last three years, the service department at the one dealer has gone to shit. The other FCA dealer has screwed up my vehicles more than the initial issues on more than one occasion, so they don't touch my cars period.

Fall of 17 I bought a Renegade as a temporary driver waiting on the new Gladiator to decide if I wanted that or a Wrangler. I had an accident, that lead to other issues and between the way my local FCA dealers service department handled that, plus the way the only other FCA dealers shop is, I have no dealers to service them within 50 miles. Not a drive I want to do when a $60,000 Wrangler or Gladiator is throwing codes. The dealer has been worthless with other service items the last year on the Jeep and the other Dodge we currently have. Even with the $6000 Jeep warranty.

My former boss is a Ford guy. He has told me the local Ford shop is pretty good when id tell him what Jeep/Dodge has done. I love the old Bronco's and this one looks pretty good. It's as/more capable on paper than a Wrangler and with a winch, will do all I need. So as much as I wanted a Wrangler Rubicon, I think I will be happier overall with a Bronco Badlands. Will definitely be the best looking trail rig out hunting.

I suspect the Bronco will steal some of the Wrangler and Yota folks. Not the die hard Jeep/Toyota people, but ones that look at the best tool for the job kind. That and people that like the latest and greatest thing or those interested in looks only.

Sponsored

Treeza61

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, 2019 4Runner TRD Pro, 2013 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It’s got that classic ‘60s look with technology from today. Best of both worlds. And it’s a Ford.
Exactly!!!

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve spoken to a couple wrangler guys and they said the same, “if I can afford it now I would go Bronco, looks bad ass and you can tell it will do much better than the jeep”’

Also, have you seen the interior of the Sahara, boring and outdated, has a cheap look to it

Ford Bronco Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler? 70AB16A9-8782-4781-95B6-59C5DA0F81E5

Last edited:

Cheshire

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Dr Bronco BaseSquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
What appeals you to the 2021 Ford Bronco over other competitors such as the Toyota 4runner and Jeep Wrangler? Explain.
Been there, done those. I've had 4 Wranglers and loved them. Now that I've seen the Bronco, the Jeep looks so dated to me. The highway characteristics of the Jeep leave a lot to be desired as does the engine. The 2.7L Bronco with IFS should be much better. The 4 Runner is a decent highway car, but it's a dinosaur and you can't take the roof off.

There is the cool, bling factor of owning the new thing in addition to the new thing having the latest design and engineering built in. Again, been there done those. Got to move forward!

AaronS

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

At the beginning of the year I was strongly considering a new Wrangler Rubicon because I did not think the Bronco was ever going to be released. After I did some research I was not happy that the windshields crack easily. When a bunch of bronco rumors/leaks started dropping in March I decided to hold off on a new vehicle purchase until after the reveal of the Bronco.

Now the reasons why I am choosing the Bronco over a Wrangler:
1) technology - I think the Bronco offers better tech over the Wrangler
2) IFS - I have never driven a SFA vehicle on dry pavement and do not think I would like it as much since I will drive the Bronco daily or almost daily
3) I am a Ford guy and have had very good luck with my Fords. I was a little concerned about Jeeps reliability
4) I think the Bronco looks better

Sponsored

cursed_hemi

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Charger Daytona / 03 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a Jeep TJ now and I love it but I would not want to daily it. It's just a weekend beach cruiser.
The Bronco powertrains and IFS are the major factors for wanting a Bronco over a new Wrangler. I've driven several JLs and they're fine. But the biggest shortcomings for me are the solid front axle along with that ancient steering box tech. The Bronco will definitely ride much better and the powertrains are more appealing.
I'm one of the few people that doesn't have brand allegiance. I just buy what I like.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wrangler makes my shoulders feel squished and the ride, in guessing, is harsh. 4Runner seems like a luxo dirt road thing.

quattroa4m

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Titan
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Been there through the Jeep YJ, TJ, and the JK. In my opinion, and mine only, Jeep has done precious little but put coil springs on the TJ, a minivan motor in the JK, and now a long in the tooth Pentastar V6 in the JL. And Jeep never misses an opportunity to jack up prices for all this “innovation“.

Never considered the 4Runner before and not going to start now. Now a new FJ, that’s an entirely different story.

Even if the Bronco is a little more than Jeep, you’re paying for a largely brand new product, a newer more advanced drivetrain, IFS (no death wobble), better ergonomics, better option packaging, etc. Even the Bronco base gets LED headlights, Jeep well that’s a pricy package...

Last edited:

SeaBee

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I haven't picked it. Ford hasn't convinced me that it's what I want yet.
Me neither, I've got my Bronco deposit and also on a 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro - keeping my options open but will probably go with the Toyota. It's the issue of a new model and potential problems etc. vs tried and true and a concern about turbo engines. I've had Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and VW GTI, both with turbos. The lag and regen issues in the Jeep were not much fun, plus the reliability gives me some cause for concern.
Most of the drive train in the Bronco is not new and should be reliable, but if you check Consumer Reports Ford is not that reliable, vs Japanese brands. I'm buying to keep for many years not just a couple, so longevity and depreciation are a concern.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Me neither, I've got my Bronco deposit and also on a 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro - keeping my options open but will probably go with the Toyota. It's the issue of a new model and potential problems etc. vs tried and true and a concern about turbo engines. I've had Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel and VW GTI, both with turbos. The lag and regen issues in the Jeep were not much fun, plus the reliability gives me some cause for concern.
Most of the drive train in the Bronco is not new and should be reliable, but if you check Consumer Reports Ford is not that reliable, vs Japanese brands. I'm buying to keep for many years not just a couple, so longevity and depreciation are a concern.
this whole reliability thing...maintain and for the most part will be fine. I had a 1998 Ford Contour for 14 years...changed brakes and calipers. No problems. Ford has reliability, one thing wrong like a screw is loose in the interior and a customer complains, bam, mark against. Me, I just tighten the screw, lol.

Look at F150 3.5 twin turbo used market, 250, 300, even some at 500,000 km (sorry, I’m in Canada). 500km is 310 miles. And these are F150’s when that turbo was newgen and definitely not considered reliable.

obviously, and I’m not disputing it, naturally aspirated is more reliable. But I believe the 2.7L is a proven engine for Ford and not sure where the 2.3L came from (Ranger?)...

and these naturally aspirated beauties are becoming unicorns in this car market. Which is why I wanted my GT350 so much.

anyway, FCA any better than Ford? Lol, I think not. VW, like bottom of the list. I have a 2019 Golf R which I’ll get rid of for this Bronco. And yes, as you’re aware that’s a turbo too.

I dunno man, decision is yours but I don’t feel like the Toyota is giving much bang for the buck...just an opinion though. I even looked at the 4Runner trd pro last year before I bought the golf r and ya, just seemed like it needed a major redesign. NOS. New old stock is what it felt like.

funny story, the DAY AFTER I brought my shiny new Golf R home I opened the driver door to find a spring and a plastic piece on my seat. The “oh shit” handle in the ceiling had fallen apart With the car just sitting in the driveway. I didn’t even use the car that day. I tried to get it together but They had to order a new handle assembly from Germany and I had to take my day old golf to the dealer the next week! Just saying, they all have problems. Lol

the Bronco will (should be) a lot more fun and more enjoyable (removable tops — engine — drivability — technology) than a 4Runner. If the supposed reliability of the engine (I don’t feel like it has many more advantages — please list them if you have them) is more important thEn your decision is already made.
Sponsored