Sponsored

3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ?

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What are folks' opinions on the effectiveness in DEEP SNOW between 3-peak mountain snowflake-rated A/Ts, vs. traditional Mud Terrains?

I don't know if extreme "siping" or "snow-flinging" would trump the day here, as I don't have enough experience in the snow.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Alex Sector

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Paging @NorthShoreBronco

I'm interested in this as well. I don't have my Bronco yet but my truck has the same tires as SAS Bronco.

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ATs will do better in the snow and ice for sure. But..... If you air down to 5psi mud terrains do just great haha.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve heard one of the ways snow tires create traction is by holding snow in certain parts of the tread. Snow sticks to snow. It’s the tight siping of individual tread block that performs that function.

RickDeckard

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Concern of mine too living in Wisconsin. I have 35" Nitto Terra Grappler G2's A/T's 3 peak. I'll let you know the next big snow.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WheelMe

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup, I've also read about how siping works - snow to snow friction, which sounds plausible to me, but I've also seen how M/Ts dig through thick snow, brute-force style.

To take tire air pressure out of the equation - how does each perform at 10 psi (the limit of non-beadlocked wheels)? Furthermore, let's assume a 35" tire.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboats…
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yup, I've also read about how siping works - snow to snow friction, which sounds plausible to me, but I've also seen how M/Ts dig through thick snow, brute-force style.

To take tire air pressure out of the equation - how does each perform at 10 psi (the limit of non-beadlocked wheels)? Furthermore, let's assume a 35" tire.
Mud tire with an all weather compound, a siping tool, and a couple cases of work lube.😆

Gassyjack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It’s been a life long quest for the perfect snow tire. So many more to choose from today.
Narrow tire to cut through the snow and put maximum weight on the footprint?
Wide tire to float over the snow like the Icelandic 4x4s? No one tire can do it all.
For my winter driving on snow packed, icy and slushy roads at highway speed I’ve gone narrow with the Kumho Road Venture At51 on my old tundra.
The factory BFG’s on the Badlands have been satisfactory so far on icy roads.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you talking snow wheeling? 10 years or so ago it was Goodyear MTR directional ones, Iroks and any sipped mud terrains. I was extremely impressed with my Kelly MT (upgraded kelly TSR made by goodyear on duratrac carcass). Big part of a successful snow tire is being soft and having some sipping for traction when you hit the icy stuff.

Also be careful taking advice from non-west coast people. Our snow is very different on the west side of the Sierra Nevada's. Midwest powder you can't even make a snow ball, here its a wet nasty hard hitting snowball.

Ford Bronco 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake vs. Mud Tires in Snow ? 1670978659466

Sponsored

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you talking snow wheeling? 10 years or so ago it was Goodyear MTR directional ones, Iroks and any sipped mud terrains. I was extremely impressed with my Kelly MT (upgraded kelly TSR made by goodyear on duratrac carcass). Big part of a successful snow tire is being soft and having some sipping for traction when you hit the icy stuff.

Also be careful taking advice from non-west coast people. Our snow is very different on the west side of the Sierra Nevada's. Midwest powder you can't even make a snow ball, here its a wet nasty hard hitting snowball.

This... no one tire is going to be perfect for every type of snow...

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Nice looking tree!

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
WheelMe

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I specifically wanted to know: in DEEP SNOW, is a 3-Peak better than an M/T? I don't think that anyone's been able to confidently answer that yet ;-) , though someone with some 3-Peaks will be testing them out with the next snow storm.

Love all the other comments, though!

And yes, I'm looking to go snow-wheeling in deep snow, but there will be lots of ice and slush between me and that deep, powdery stuff.

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Only had one decent snowfall here so far this year. It was the wet slushy stuff. About 8 inches. Baja Boss AT's were really good .
Another member from Canada said he uses the same tire for snow wheeling up there and has been happy with it
Sponsored