Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

For those who will say that I will have alternator issues before I suck in water... I say that is incorrect because I have stalled the motor once already and that I rather fix/replace the alternator than get water in the motor.
Nah, probably fine, mud seems to be the biggest issue with the alternators vs water.

However, this is a problem:

Ford Bronco Airaid Snorkel Installed (after engine stall from water intake) 1676909842912

In the event that you have to use the limb pusher, it's gonna clip the top of your intake clean off.
Sponsored

OP
OP
killaz05

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

wouldn't this defeat the purpose of the intake? did you seal your inlet box?
It does defeat the purpose in my opinion. I am going to call airaid to see what they say but I am working with someone on creating a block to the stock inlet.

OP
OP
killaz05

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In the event that you have to use the limb pusher, it's gonna clip the top of your intake clean off.
So far, I have just used it for Florida brush, but I can see the issue for bigger branches.

OP
OP
killaz05

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I'm looking at this correctly, after you installed this snorkel that the oem front air intake inlet is still being used. That to me says failure for water forging. Water contamination is inevitable with that front inlet tube still present and operational.

Why is that front inlet tube still there? Why is the air box not sealed completely from water or other contaminates? Being a military retiree, we water forged all the time and our air intake systems were completely sealed and the snorkel worked as intended. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture here or something. Please correct me if I'm wrong at what I'm seeing here.

Nice looking snorkel though!
You are correct and the kit provided by Airaid doesn't block the stock inlet which shocked me and the installer. It mentions nothing about it in the instructions either. I am calling Airaid shortly to see what they say but I am working with someone to 3D print a cover for the stock inlet.

OP
OP
killaz05

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the top able to be swiveled? Interested to see the results. Looks better IMO than the Everglades snorkle.
It can swivel but not 180 degrees because it will hit the windshield frame.

Sponsored

SwampCactus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Cactus Grey Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do like the looks of this a lot better than the Everglades one. Keep us posted on your progress of the air box etc...

Thanks for posting!

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
You are correct and the kit provided by Airaid doesn't block the stock inlet which shocked me and the installer. It mentions nothing about it in the instructions either. I am calling Airaid shortly to see what they say but I am working with someone to 3D print a cover for the stock inlet.
Yes, the only way to correct this from any contamination is to have a top cover with no cutouts except for snorkel inlet. Even with the snorkel inlet on top would still have to be sealed also. Maybe a rubber round gasket bead or a plyable soft rubber gasket. The snorkel tube is your only source for air intake wet or dry conditions. Good luck bud on a new top design.

OP
OP
killaz05

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, the only way to correct this from any contamination is to have a top cover with no cutouts except for snorkel inlet. Even with the snorkel inlet on top would still have to be sealed also. Maybe a rubber round gasket bead or a plyable soft rubber gasket. The snorkel tube is your only source for air intake wet or dry conditions. Good luck bud on a new top design.
There is a gasket between the snorkel and where it bolts to the stock box. I will keep everyone updated on sealing the stock box.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You are very lucky your engine didn't hydro-lock. Did you check your differentials for water intrusion?

OP
OP
killaz05

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are very lucky your engine didn't hydro-lock. Did you check your differentials for water intrusion?
I did and all was fine. The breather hoses are by the brake booster, so they are really high up. They say the everglades model has even higher breather hoses but man... If my breather hoses are underwater, then I am having a really bad day haha.

Sponsored

omg_bbq

Black Diamond
First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 EG BD SAS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thanks for being the Guinea pig OP. Also I was born and grew up in FL.

my question is do we know what the Everglades air box looks like? I’ve looked at that thing so many times longingly but I swear I’ve never seen its airbox.

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did and all was fine. The breather hoses are by the brake booster, so they are really high up. They say the everglades model has even higher breather hoses but man... If my breather hoses are underwater, then I am having a really bad day haha.
I would still crack the drain plug and unscrew it enough to let out a drip of oil. If there is water in there it will be on the bottom. If the fluid is milky then you should change your oil.
Water can get in if your differential is hot and is submerged in freezing or even cold water. Believe me it can happen. This has happened to me twice over the years. once in the front and once in the rear differential. Both times were in cold Sierra Snow melt in the Fordyce Creek.

OP
OP
killaz05

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for being the Guinea pig OP. Also I was born and grew up in FL.

my question is do we know what the Everglades air box looks like? I’ve looked at that thing so many times longingly but I swear I’ve never seen its airbox.
It is the stock airbox but with a different lid (picture below). I was hoping I could use it, but it wouldn't work.
Ford Bronco Airaid Snorkel Installed (after engine stall from water intake) image-review-2022-ford-bronco-everglades-wades-deeper-off-road-165641151865585

Rick U

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Newb question about snorkeling, what keeps rain and splash from getting in?

Fordmanfrombirth

Outer Banks
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ronny Dahl explains snorkels and it isn't just for water either. Ronny is a great resource on overlanding and he has the coolest accent.
Sponsored