Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So this will be my next addition to the Bronco. I want true ditch lights and therefore thought the right way to go would be a flood pattern. But I'm seeing a lot of people picking the combo pattern for their ditch lights. I know which pattern of light the combo throws, I have them in my bumper. But why are yall putting them on the A-pillars?
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Combo for me. Sometimes you really need to see what’s there and not just light up the general area.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Combo for me. Sometimes you really need to see what’s there and not just light up the general area.
Are yours angled off to the side or pointed forward?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are yours angled off to the side or pointed forward?
All depends where I am and what I’m doing. Generally the spot part is between my mirrors and the hood, but I adjust based on what I’m doing and where I’m looking.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All depends where I am and what I’m doing. Generally the spot part is between my mirrors and the hood, but I adjust based on what I’m doing and where I’m looking.
I gave up on trying to guess and to glean information from various forums so I just called diode dynamics directly and had a conversation with one of the people who could answer that question the best. He suggested a combo pattern, so I went with that and a hammer built bracket and then I went with McMaster-Carr theft resistant nuts for the u bracket and then bolts for the pod to the bracket attachment. I also decided to opt for the diode dynamics generic harness, which if you remove the Deutsch fastener you could snake the end of the wire from the inside of the engine compartment out through the trim without having to take anything else apart. The Deutsch fasteners are a little bit tricky because they're supposed to be a special tool to pull the centerpiece out but I ended up cutting the tip off of Allen wrench and then clamped on it with a pair of vice grips and that gave me the ability to pop that green center plug out. I was able to use a long zip tie from the cowl in toward the engine bay and then tape the end of the harness to it and pull that through.

Sponsored
OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I gave up on trying to guess and to glean information from various forums so I just called diode dynamics directly and had a conversation with one of the people who could answer that question the best. He suggested a combo pattern, so I went with that and a hammer built bracket and then I went with McMaster-Carr theft resistant nuts for the u bracket and then bolts for the pod to the bracket attachment. I also decided to opt for the diode dynamics generic harness, which if you remove the Deutsch fastener you could snake the end of the wire from the inside of the engine compartment out through the trim without having to take anything else apart. The Deutsch fasteners are a little bit tricky because they're supposed to be a special tool to pull the centerpiece out but I ended up cutting the tip off of Allen wrench and then clamped on it with a pair of vice grips and that gave me the ability to pop that green center plug out. I was able to use a long zip tie from the cowl in toward the engine bay and then tape the end of the harness to it and pull that through.
Yea and I guess its just all personal preference too. I want to get a flood because I truly want it angled off into the ditches but worry it won't throw enough light to the side. Driving up in Oklahoma this past December I almost hit a deer just hanging out on the side of the road. Luckily i saw him and was able to brake hard enough to avoid him but had that area been lit up I would have seen him sooner. Which power level did you go with?

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I also have the Oracle mirror cover lights for general light. The best part about them is I can reach out and adjust from the seat and have the passenger do the same for where I want the general coverage.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have just spots and they kind of suck. I'm going to replace them with a combo.
I guess the one good thing is we can replace the lenses for different beam patterns, but I'd rather just pick the right one from the git!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yea and I guess its just all personal preference too. I want to get a flood because I truly want it angled off into the ditches but worry it won't throw enough light to the side. Driving up in Oklahoma this past December I almost hit a deer just hanging out on the side of the road. Luckily i saw him and was able to brake hard enough to avoid him but had that area been lit up I would have seen him sooner. Which power level did you go with?
High speed driving is not the same as trail use. To really see deer in time at a decent speed, you’re going to need some power and coverage.
Maybe more like a KC roof mounted light bar.

Sponsored

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
About the only use for a spot light is handheld, if it is fixed mount you usually need more area illuminated due to not being able to directly point it where you need.

Spots do get you more range, so the compromise is the combo.

https://www.bajadesigns.com/help/lighting-zones/

Ford Bronco Beam pattern for ditch lights? 1681870109008

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@broncorik. What are these “hammer built brackets” you speak of? Link please?

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with pros... The maxes were enticing, but a significant jump in price. On my front bumper I have the SS2s in pro, and SS3 fogs in max...and they certainly are bright. I like the DOT approved fogs for the front, because you can actually use them while driving in every day situations. I have the SS2s in my rear bumper. I know that asking people which fogs they prefer are kind of like asking people which way they go politically, but from much of the research it appears as though diode dynamics and the way that they rate their output seems to be the most appealing to me. Although I have the backlight features on the bumper lights, I had no use for them on the ditch lights... So I save some money there because you can buy them without the backlights.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went with pros... The maxes were enticing, but a significant jump in price. On my front bumper I have the SS2s in pro, and SS3 fogs in max...and they certainly are bright. I like the DOT approved fogs for the front, because you can actually use them while driving in every day situations. I have the SS2s in my rear bumper. I know that asking people which fogs they prefer are kind of like asking people which way they go politically, but from much of the research it appears as though diode dynamics and the way that they rate their output seems to be the most appealing to me. Although I have the backlight features on the bumper lights, I had no use for them on the ditch lights... So I save some money there because you can buy them without the backlights.
Dayum! SS3 fogs in Max? I have them in Pro and thought they were really bright, almost too bright but I have them aimed pretty good so nobody's been flashing their lights at me. Can't imagine how bright the Max are.
Sponsored