First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door 2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If all the bronco has done for the Jeeps “innovation” is make it even more expensive and cram in a 12 inch screen that will be outdated in 5 years and cost thousands to fix. Then damn Bronco owners really think their shit don’t stink, because I’m not seeing a ton of innovation on either side, just useless additions to get the YouTube bloggers to cream their panties. All I need is a simple 4x4 with no bells and whistles that can take me places and get me home. But I can’t buy an affordable reliable 4x4 any more thanks to these companies “innovation”
Sponsored

sealedpancake

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
20230312_155823a.jpg
20230511_140311.jpg

I've now had my 2021 2D CG FE for 10k miles, and I'm still in love with it.
After another user posted a TSB on the alternator, I took mine in to the dealer and within a few minutes, I had a new alternator ordered and was on my merry way. New alternator arrived at dealer so I dropped my Bronco off and was shuttled to the rental location, upon which I thought would be a great time to drive a Wrangler.

The one I ended up with was a 2021 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. Having never owned a Jeep, it seemed to me that, by the badging, most of the bells and whistles that come with a higher end Wrangler would be present minus the off road capabilities of the Rubicon.

The following are my thoughts on my experience with the Wrangler compared to my Bronco.

Seats: The first thing I immediately noticed are how bad the seats are. I spent a lot of my younger days in modified sports cars and having modified seats in most of them, I'm most comfortable driving with the back set at almost 90° to the seat bottoms. The Bronco seat back goes almost to 90°, but this Wrangler goes only sets to what feels like 45° to the seat bottom. The cushioning on the seats were terrible as well, and for the past 100 miles or so, it's been a pretty bad experience for me.

Interior: Coming from a First Edition Bronco, nothing about the Wrangler interior was appealing to me. Everything felt rubbery, cheap, and extremely crammed. The thing that really stuck out to me was how outdated the infotainment system seemed, but that's been my experience with every Dodge vehicle I've been in. The materials of the bare removable hard top were also very undesirable to look at. It definitely needs a coat of paint or a liner.

Audio system: This particular jeep seemed to have the basic system, and I realized during the first 2 songs that I was happier with the audio system completely off. WOW, it was bad. My B&O sounds like a competition system compared to whatever is in this Wrangler.

Drive: Without having opened the hood, I can only assume this is a 4 cylinder motor because it is so sluggish. However, it has enough power to push itself along, so it does suffice. What was most noticeable was how much it drifted to the right, and it really kept me on my toes. It is nearly impossible to drive straight, and there was almost no feedback from the steering wheel. I also noticed that after a turn, the wheel doesn't really spin back to normal, and I had to manually turn it back to OG position, which I thought was extremely odd and dangerous.

Noise: Surprisingly, the hardtop Wrangler seems noticeably more quiet than my hardtop Bronco, but then again, I have a lot of stuff attached to the Bronco hardtop, so it's hard compare the two, but it seemed a lot quieter, even with the sound system turned off. I guess I'm not the right person to comment on this, but I noticed that within the first 5 minutes of driving.

Design: Obviously, I love the way my Bronco looks. The white Wrangler is handsome, too, though I can't get over the fact that it looks small on the outside, and feels even smaller on the inside. By numbers alone, it shouldn't feel so different but everything in the Wrangler just feels really cramped. I can't say that it felt pleasant to be inside this car.

Overall, I think what the Bronco will do for the Wrangler will be amazing. It feels like the Wrangler has had no reason to change for the last 30 years and decided that if it wasn't broken, it had no desire to change. Competition promotes innovation, and the re-release of the Bronco will push each other to be better than the other, and in 50 years, we'll have flying cars and none of this will matter to most, but it will to the few of us that are still trying to find the hardest way over a hill.

In hindsight, although it may seem that I'm Jeep bashing, it is only a comparison between 2 very similar vehicles, and my experiences with each. I do think the Bronco is better in every way when it comes to the above aforementioned qualities, but the off road experience, I'm sure, will be very different as well.

The kicker? I just went to snap a picture of the Jeep for this post and saw 7 goggley eyed girls standing in front of the Jeep, asking if it was my Jeep. Haven't had that happen in my Bronco yet.

Thanks for reading.
Could you please let me know how you changed the strip light in the headlamp to amber?? Have been trying to do this to my 23 Wildtrak and have had no luck :( Thank you!

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If all the bronco has done for the Jeeps “innovation” is make it even more expensive and cram in a 12 inch screen that will be outdated in 5 years and cost thousands to fix. Then damn Bronco owners really think their shit don’t stink, because I’m not seeing a ton of innovation on either side, just useless additions to get the YouTube bloggers to cream their panties. All I need is a simple 4x4 with no bells and whistles that can take me places and get me home. But I can’t buy an affordable reliable 4x4 any more thanks to these companies “innovation”
agreed. but…also…

Never had to buy extra critical steering parts for my Jeep in case I went off road. If we’re comparing road driving experiences, the Bronco likes the road better…we all know that.

AustyPosty

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door 2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
agreed. but…also…

Never had to buy extra critical steering parts for my Jeep in case I went off road. If we’re comparing road driving experiences, the Bronco likes the road better…we all know that.
But that’s also not an innovation, to say that the Bronco is the first 4x4 with IFS is just not genuine. I’m not bashing the bronco, but I think people over hype the “innovation” it has brought to Jeep. Because all I see is more useless tech being crammed into vehicles that are meant to go off grid and reliably get you home. The luxury market has ruined 4x4s.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
But that’s also not an innovation, to say that the Bronco is the first 4x4 with IFS is just not genuine. I’m not bashing the bronco, but I think people over hype the “innovation” it has brought to Jeep. Because all I see is more useless tech being crammed into vehicles that are meant to go off grid and reliably get you home. The luxury market has ruined 4x4s.
At 28k the Bronco base was decent - after some larger tires and a few upgrades. Or base with Sas added still under 30k. Now the big spenders have ruined things, the lux market you mentioned. Why should Ford offer low cost simpler versions, when so many people are willing to lay out 50-60k? People who don't even go off-road are eating up Sas. That's probably why Ford currently doesn't offer the Base model for order. Gentrification.

Sponsored
OP
OP
mikeeshim

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

needed to say right there: The Bronco doesn't attract people with birth d
I see the Sasquatch Bronco as the first truly capable out-of-the-box vehicle. Almost every other 4x4 will, at the least, need tires. That's already been addressed at FCA with the release of the Xtreme Recon. Innovation isn't only tech related, but can be in terms of what is offered in packages, gear, or even something like Off-Rodeo. The comeback of the Bronco is pushing others to offer more out-of-the-box packages; even Toyota has a Trails Edition that looks very promising.

In terms of tech, I don't use any of the tech except for the cameras. I still like to switch to manual mode and keep it in gears that I feel comfortable with. but the AUX switches were great until I swapped those out for a SwitchPros. :geek:

OP
OP
mikeeshim

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Could you please let me know how you changed the strip light in the headlamp to amber?? Have been trying to do this to my 23 Wildtrak and have had no luck :( Thank you!
That's a mod done through Forscan. Here's a link to that thread.
Keep in mind that this mod only works under several conditions for the DRL to be amber:
Auto headlight must be active
Headlights must be off
You have to be in R N or D.
All of these conditions must be met, or they will show as white DRLS.

Yeti-X

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see the Sasquatch Bronco as the first truly capable out-of-the-box vehicle. Almost every other 4x4 will, at the least, need tires. That's already been addressed at FCA with the release of the Xtreme Recon. Innovation isn't only tech related, but can be in terms of what is offered in packages, gear, or even something like Off-Rodeo. The comeback of the Bronco is pushing others to offer more out-of-the-box packages; even Toyota has a Trails Edition that looks very promising.

In terms of tech, I don't use any of the tech except for the cameras. I still like to switch to manual mode and keep it in gears that I feel comfortable with. but the AUX switches were great until I swapped those out for a SwitchPros. :geek:
I believe the Rubicon was around long before the bronco with sasquatch package was a thought in the pasture and is just as capable if not more than a badlands with squatch ive owned both and went offroad with both pretty truly capable out of the box if you ask me

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Before I ordered my 2021 big bend, I drove the jeep. I was not impressed and since most of my driving is on the road, the feel of the jerp was not to my liking. Since I got my bronco with a 2.3,in October 2021, I’ve driven over 43000 miles including a trip to South Dakota, and 2 trips to Florida from NJ. I’ve averaged 22 mpg even at rt 95 speeds and the ride is very comfortable. I have the soft top and the wind and road noise is more than acceptable. 80 db at 70 mph running into a 35 mph wind. The only thing I had to replace was the usb port which I wore out plugging and unplugging the cable. The soft top spent most of its time in Florida open and I loved every minute of the drive. I’ve lost count of the number of folks that have stopped and told me that my bronco was really great and wanted to know how to get one. I even took a couple of jeep owners for a ride and to a man, they were very impressed with the bronco. In short, im 79 years old and I hunt and fish using my bronco and I’ve never owned a vehicle in my entire life that was so much fun in every way. I’m selling my charter boat and getting a smaller boat that I will trailer. I can trailer a 19 ft center console even with the 3500 Lb towing restriction. I haven’t missed my f150 for a minute. If I was ready to buy a new vehicle, I guarantee that it would be another bronco.

66828239733__F5E5E315-A5A6-4F27-8574-40B6ADB3AF64.jpeg

OP
OP
mikeeshim

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I’ve never owned a vehicle in my entire life that was so much fun in every way.
I 100% agree, for some reason, the Bronco is just plain fun to drive. I cannot explain why that is, but it is.

The only thing I had to replace was the usb port which I wore out plugging and unplugging the cable.
Why are you doing this so often? The Bronco was wireless Android Auto and Carplay. If it is solely for charging, I suggest getting a cable dedicated for your Bronco. Just FYI there is a USB charging port hidden at the bottom of the center console, some have them on the dash under the rear view mirror, and there is another one on the back of the center console.

Sponsored

Capt steve

Big Bend
First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I know that. I do use either port for charging

drzmat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, 1966 Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Ford had built the exact same vehicle with a fixed cab, more aerodynamic styling and dramatically reduced road noise they would have pleased me tremendously.
Yep, count me in for this too.

Ive read somewhere that Ford didnt close the door to this idea....

A kind of poor man Land Rover Defender :)

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is difficult to argue that the Bronco has much innovation in it. After all, it's explici8 design goals seem to have been to ape as many characteristics from the Wrangler as possible. The benefit of the Bronco for future Wrangler owners is that it (hopefully) forces FCS to abandon their utter complacency.

My JKU's remote key did not work from more than 30 ft away and when it did work it was only with direct line of sight to the vehicle. It was impossible to get parking sensors or front facing cameras directly from the factory. Was it really impossible to improve on road handling with a solid front axle? Probably no, but the Wrangler was the only game in town and FCS chose to do nothing because the vehicle was selling as is. Was it really that difficult to have aux switches available as an option on any trim? Why were lockers only available as a factory option on the Rubicon? Why can't a 6 ft dude sleep inside for any trim? What's the point of the Unlimited if not that, yet all the Unlimited trim does is add shitty back seats and hardly any trunk storage.

Yes, all of these are simply conveniences that are not useful to the diehard 4x4ers.0 However 80% of Wrangler owners bought it to make it look badass only to never take it anywhere that would be considered off road.... or do absolutely nothing to it (witness the large number of Sports on the road with shitty Goodyear stock tires that will puncture the first time they hit a sharp rock). The Bronco now has this demographic leaning strongly Ford. And of the remaining 20% Wrangler owners, a significant fraction were like me - daily driver that goes on easy and medium trails once every few weeks. We are not rich enough to own the Wrangler as a weekebd toy, we disliked its unrefined behavior on the road, we did not need or want a Rubicon. Some of us are now Bronco owners, possibly because the grass always looks greener on the other side.

Last edited:

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought I would throw this out there for anyone thinking about a Wrangler since Broncos are still so hard to get.

I just got back from an 8 day business trip to Nashville where on a whim I upgraded to a wrangler at the rental counter. I had no idea what I was getting but it turned out to be a black '22 Sahara hybrid with the one touch hard top. I have driven a 4 dr BD SAS bronco a lot so I had an idea how it compared to the Wrangler.

The first thing I noticed in the wrangler was the fit and finish compared to the Bronco. In my opinion the wranglers interior materials were superior to the cheap hard plastic in the Bronco. I speced the Wrangler out on Jeeps build n price page based on what it seemed the Sahara had and it came out to just under $70k. The fit and finish of the interior was really nice and I liked the materials use, soft touch dash with stitching, soft upper door panels full leather seats, it was really nice and what one should expect in a vehicle at that price point. I get the Bronco is supposed to be utilitarian but it is just so cheap looking and feeling inside that its is actually kind of comical for the price you pay.

The Wranglers leather seats are okay, nothing to write home about, the Broncos are a lot more comfy I think. The one thing I noted quickly was how much higher you sit in a JL than I did in my TJ, it feels like it is higher than I remember a JK being. I am 6'4" with a longer torso and I was at the lowest seat level and looking out the top of the windshield. The rear view mirror did not articulated so I could not swivel it all the way up like I normally do and was probably 3" from the top of the windshield so, smack dab in my line of sight. More than once a car was hidden behind that thing and I didn't see it coming, not ideal. I would have to DIY that thing and move it to the top of the windshield if I owned a Jeep. If I were to off-road the wrangler I would hit the cross bar with the speakers with my head, it was that close to me. On the opposite of that, the drivers side foot-well went so fat back I could not hit the end with my left leg, that was really nice for stretching out.

The cockpit feels really cramped compared to the Bronco, as nice as it looks inside it is really small feeling. There is a door pocket with netting similar to the Broncos but you can hardly put your hand down between the seat and the door to access the pocket, it is really tight. The door windows are small and without the top open it felt tiny. I did notice though that the door pillar is not noticeable like it is in a 4 dr Bronco. I feel it constantly against my shoulder in the Bronco where in the Wrangler I never noticed it once. Maybe the doors are a tad longer, not sure.

Another beef is that there is absolutely NO storage of any kind in the front. 2 cup holders and a center console storage compartment but zero places for phones or keys or the little things one has to put somewhere in a vehicle. It is so odd they could not come up with storage. I feel like they could have done something under the window switches in front of the gear selector but nope. I LOVE that there is an old school e-brake in it though. Not a fan of the electric kind.

The place where I quickly noticed a huge difference between the Jeep and the Bronco was going down the freeway. The wandering you always hear about Jeep steering...its a real deal, it wanders alot and gets annoying fast. My '79 landcruiser had better road manners than this thing. The BD Bronco I have driven was light years better than the wrangler. The Bronco is so incredibly well mannered on the road, even with the SAS package. It is a pleasure to drive. The Wrangler steering is reminiscent of my '75 Nova, there is a lot of play in the wheel. Don't get me wrong, it went down the road really nicely but the steering was something else. By the end of the 8th day I was sort of used to it but I still noticed it and I did not enjoy it. It does turn on a dime with a nickles change though, just like my old TJ. I don't buy the whole "oh its a solid axle that's what they all are like" argument about the Jeeps steering. I have read a lot on the Wrangler forums about members fixing the issue or at least minimizing it a lot. Jeep could do the same if they wanted to. My FJ40 and Wrangler TJ and old '85 Toyota pickup were all stock solid axle and did not do what this thing did on the road so I think Jeep could address it if they chose to. The other thing was when I hit a pothole or big expansion joint on the freeway there was a definite solid axle jolt that happened. I had forgotten what that had felt like. The Bronco handles stuff like that way better in my opinion.

The Sky One Touch top was sweet. One touch of a button and the entire top slides back, very nice and easy. I wouldn't mind something like that on a Bronco though I really like the Bronco soft top a lot and see no reason to change that out for my purposes.

As for power it was great, it has a 2.0L 4cyl turbo and I felt no lack of power any time during the 1100 miles I put on it. Taking off from a stop light was really smooth. I remember one evening down in Franklin cruising around the side streets thinking how cool it was when it was on just the battery, it was so silent. I did not plug it in as I have no idea how that all works so it was recharged only from the brake regeneration. I would definitely like to see a hybrid Bronco. I averaged around 22 mpg for the trip. mixed interstate/city driving. Not bad but it did have street tires on it.

All in all it was not a bad ride, it was fun to drive and like I mentioned after the 8th day I was sort of used to the steering oddities and would probably not notice it after a while. The cramped feeling in the cockpit and how high I had to sit though were most likely deal breakers for me. If I were to be honest, I think the Bronco looks a lot better but with all the issues and delays if the Jeep interior were a tad taller I would probably just pick up a Wrangler and move on.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It's not just the interior plastics thst are cheap and easily damaged on the Bronco. Just took my BD on it's first semi serious off-road. After a single day my mirrors have more scratches and gouges in them that my JKU had after 10 years. And it was just willows that I was driving though at 5mph.

As you mentioned the handling on the road is vastly superior. And being able to sleep in it last night when the weather outside was very windy and sprinkly was the reason why replaced the JKU with a BD.

Is it just me that thinks that a JK on 265/75 17 tires has A LOT more air under it than a BD on 285/75 17. The broncos have all these surprising downward protrusions on the periphery. I never had to think about small boulders on the road with the JKU and I was way too paranoid about them on the BD, always made sure I put the tires on them.
Sponsored