Sponsored

Has anyone tried the "No Compressor" trick for springs/struts?

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Theres a video floating around of basically using a Jack to compress the springs, undoing the top bolt, and lowering the jack to let the strut go free. It's a Toyota Video.

Has anyone tried this on the bronco? How'd it work? Easy? Safe-ish?

I understand it's not going to be as safe as an actual wall mounted compressor. I'm a hands on guy and want do this myself if possible, but honestly don't trust the rental compressors you can get
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Spend the $40 at any local auto parts store and get a spring compressor. Not safe, have done a few trail repairs putting a spring/broken strut back together its plain stupid and more over a giant waste of time for a 5 minute job.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Theres a video floating around of basically using a Jack to compress the springs, undoing the top bolt, and lowering the jack to let the strut go free. It's a Toyota Video.

I understand it's not going to be as safe as an actual wall mounted compressor. I'm a hands on guy and want do this myself if possible, but honestly don't trust the rental compressors you can get
A: It wouldn't be possible to do on the front shocks.
B: No need to do it on the rear shocks because the springs have about ZERO preload on them.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

I've replaced several struts on vehicles using free loaner spring compressors. There wasn't much too it, didn't feel unsafe. Or maybe Harbor Freight has a cheap spring compressor? It's not like you are going to be using it all the time, so you don't need some expensive shop rated/duty compressor.

Sponsored
OP
OP
andersman02

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A: It wouldn't be possible to do on the front shocks.
B: No need to do it on the rear shocks because the springs have about ZERO preload on them.
Mind expanding a bit on why the front wouldn't work? I have removed/swapped the fronts before, but that was the entire coilover.

I'm guessing something gets in the way when trying to pull out the strut? I know when swapping you had to maneauver it pretty well to get it in..

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mind expanding a bit on why the front wouldn't work? I have removed/swapped the fronts before, but that was the entire coilover.

I'm guessing something gets in the way when trying to pull out the strut? I know when swapping you had to maneauver it pretty well to get it in..
Its like trying to compress a spring and thread a needle at the same time. Its a huge waste of time trying to put it back together. I got $100 bucks that says you wont be able to get it back together.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I did my fronts by removing the lower control arms. The shock has the 2 bolts coming straight down instead of the usual Toyota round bottom. Are you going to be jacking up on two threaded bolts?? Would you feel comfortable jacking up on something that is going to possibly lift the vehicle off the jack stands?? Can you ensure the jack and shock are not going to move sideways??
#TooSketchy

Q2AA2WM.jpg

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Rule number 1. Never rely on a tool from Harbor Freight in which one’s physical safety is on the line. Not a tool snob by any means, but if the task requires, pressure, tension, or lifting capabilities I don’t place my safety in the hands of some low quality Chinese tool. I learned this from purchasing a Harbor Freight pressurized sand blaster. That hunk of junk was a few PSI’s from turning into shrapnel, not to mention the shut off vale failed after the first five minutes of use.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

HF compressors are $35 each. Buy 2 of them and you’re out a whopping $70.

I have no clue why you want to compress your springs but I can promise you that whatever it is - it costs way more than $70. So saving money seems a pound foolish motivation here.

If the motivation is fear of messing up your pretty face should one of those clamps come uncunted on you….then that’s why I said “buy 2 of them”.

Use three clamps per spring instead of the two you see all these other chumps using for a nice stress free afternoon in the shop installing your new suspension.

Sponsored
OP
OP
andersman02

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Its like trying to compress a spring and thread a needle at the same time. Its a huge waste of time trying to put it back together. I got $100 bucks that says you wont be able to get it back together.
I see what you mean by threading a needle.

I did my fronts by removing the lower control arms. The shock has the 2 bolts coming straight down instead of the usual Toyota round bottom. Are you going to be jacking up on two threaded bolts?? Would you feel comfortable jacking up on something that is going to possibly lift the vehicle off the jack stands?? Can you ensure the jack and shock are not going to move sideways??
#TooSketchy

Ford Bronco Has anyone tried the "No Compressor" trick for springs/struts? Q2AA2WM
That's the same way I removed them before, works well.
That makes sense regarding where the jack actually needs to be sitting compared to the lower strut bolts.

Rule number 1. Never rely on a tool from Harbor Freight in which one’s physical safety is on the line. Not a tool snob by any means, but if the task requires, pressure, tension, or lifting capabilities I don’t place my safety in the hands of some low quality Chinese tool. I learned this from purchasing a Harbor Freight pressurized sand blaster. That hunk of junk was a few PSI’s from turning into shrapnel, not to mention the shut off vale failed after the first five minutes of use.
Would you feel confident insomething like this from autozone rental?
https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-too...macpherson-strut-spring-compressor/555557_0_0

OP
OP
andersman02

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

HF compressors are $35 each. Buy 2 of them and you’re out a whopping $70.

I have no clue why you want to compress your springs but I can promise you that whatever it is - it costs way more than $70. So saving money seems a pound foolish motivation here.

If the motivation is fear of messing up your pretty face should one of those clamps come uncunted on you….then that’s why I said “buy 2 of them”.

Use three clamps per spring instead of the two you see all these other chumps using for a nice stress free afternoon in the shop installing your new suspension.
Fair enough, I do like my face the way it is.

We have an oreilys and autozone 2 minutes away, I'd probably rent one set from each and use 3 as you said.

AccuTune Offroad

Base
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sasquatch 4 Door, Jeep JLUR, Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Base
Very risky like mentioned above, if we were to recommend any portable spring compressor, it would be something like this unit. We use these in the desert tuning race cars. Using an impact gun will help the process. Even with this heavy duty compressor, It's still asking a lot for these high rate springs. In-house we use a wall mounted compressor. That rental spring compressor looks weak, and sketchy IMO.

Just to toss some numbers out:
If say the spring rate is 650lb, it till take 650lb of force to compress the spring 1". It will take an additional 650lb of force to go another inch. So keep in mind you may need upwards of 1300lb of force to compress the spring enough to have it loose. In situations like this, a proper tools highly recommended. You may even want to see if a local auto shop has a wall mounted compressor and see if someone there would help you out real quick. Not sure if thats an option