Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Self fulfilling prophecy... Or they did that so in 3yrs when some leases are over with and it's time for a mild refresh, here comes a 6spd for thr 2.7
Sponsored

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I understand what you’re saying, and maybe I should rephrase. I’m not so much concerned with the 30 extra hp, it’s the 90 extra ft/lbs of torque that would probably be nice for tough uphill muddy rutted trails. Louisianian with less rock climbing around here...
Terrain definitely plays a factor. In mud, wheel speed is king, but the 2.3 in the Bronco has more TQ than a wrangler and more gear (assuming sasquatch/7spd) so assuming the rut doesn't stop you dead or hang you up, if a wrangler can do it, the bronco should do it too.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But 5% of a vehicle that makes 200k a year is still 10k a year. And when manual is only an option on 1 of 3 engines for the wrangler I’d say 10k a year is actually pretty good. More than the first edition broncos in one year, and still sells that many every year. More than the take rate of a mustang gt500 since majority of mustangs sold are the base model smallest engine.
I'm with you completely, I wish it was offered in the 2.7, because I would buy it....but I'm still going to buy one, and I think that is what Ford assumes. They get to sell higher margin, higher revenue vehicles with the auto...and probably figure they lose few sales. The 2.3 is WAY better than jeep's engine they offer with the manual, I just want the extra power of the 2.7 since it is out there to be had.

mrf_pa

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The 2.3L eco is a solid performer and has plenty of power for overlanding/rock crawling with the right gear setup as others have pointed out. Also, for those seeking more road HP, I'm sure the aftermarket community will modify the already existing bolt on turbo kits, cold air induction, intercoolers, and down pipes are available for the 2.3L eco (which can make that engine scream), but the Bronco gear ratio and 35 inch tires would put a limit on how fast it would go (or one would want to go) anyway.

Sponsored

Wingzfan

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Pairing the MT with the 2.3L allows Ford to offer a Base model at $28.5k. Just from that perspective, it was a no-brainer regardless of the take rate on MT. I'm sure the business case for developing it in the 2.7L is a bit murkier.

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Don’t get me wrong I haven’t chosen an engine yet, but I am getting the auto. I think it will be overall price for me. I don’t need the 2.7 but I may pick it up if my build comes in within my budget. I will be fine either way tbh. My wife’s explorer platinum has a 3.5 eco boost so that will get me to Walmart quick if need be. The bronco will be a weekend off roading vehicle for me so the 2.3 will be plenty unless I just decide to piss away the extra money. ?

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Warthog will be a 2.7 with a manual for 70K. Take rate that!
Nah. It'll be an auto. The fact they're moving on to the development of the Warthog and eventually the hybrid probably doesn't leave a whole lot of R&D dollars left over to do the stick behind the 2.7L. If they were ever likely to have offered it they'd have gone a totally different route with Getrag when they spec'd that 7-speed.

I've worked in manufacturing for 22 years, the last 14 in aerospace and automotive. Everything about how that transmission was spec'd out says they ruled out a manual behind the 2.7L early on. It was only meant to be behind the 2.3L. At the very least, they'd need an upgraded gear set and a solution to the differing bellhousing pattern. Likely another casting since it's a one-piece housing instead of a bolt-on scattershield which is $$$.

Last edited:

lowmpg

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You mean "under 30k" because it should also be free or Ford should pay us to drive exactly what we want...

sarkastodon.JPG
Yup. I mean I was all in until Ford was so indecisive and wanted me to pay more than $38,000 for their brand new Bronco and had the audacity to charge for packages. I mean, 30 day delays..are you kidding me!! I'm buying a $10,000 used Honda Ridgeline because they are basically the same thing. Better get my $100 back!

Sponsored

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual transmission take rate is at all-time low across the industry. You can argue that it is become availability is also low, but it is a circular argument. In order for the manufacturer to invest in developing and producing a model with a particular feature, like a manual trans, there has to be a sound business case showing a return on the investment. Manual transmissions have seen that ROI fall off significantly.

I'll be honest, I was extremely surprised when I learned that Ford had apparently justified offering the manual transmission combination that we are getting. By the same token, I was equally impressed that they even built a business case for a 2-door body variant of an SUV. The 2 together is almost unheard of these days, save for Wrangler. But probably part of that business case was the perceived need to match Jeep punch for punch.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So funny that those who were predicting that the 7m would only be available in a high-trim crawling-oriented model are now complaining that the 7m isn't available with the more expensive engine.

Financial factors for a manufacturer to consider are not only the mechanical engineering costs, but the software interfaces, fuel economy impact to the product line, and the cost of EPA testing - not cheap.

Look at what Ford has done with this new vehicle. It is nearly everything that nearly everyone wanted. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and Ford compared what the bean counters were telling them with what their marketing research people were telling them and tried to hit the largest market share while maintaining a profitable product overall. Without seeing one in person or climbing a large, rutted hill in one, I'd say that so far, they've knocked it out of the park. It is a very small, niche group that wants over 300hp and a stick - and it isn't a large enough segment for Ford to make the investment. If you think you can run a car company more effectively, perhaps you should start one... if it's tough, looks good, performs well, and is affordable, I'll give it a close look.

If it meets those standards, I might buy it. I'll be ordering the automatic, though.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would buy the 2.7 with the manual over the auto, saying that I'm getting the 2.7 regardless

mustangfamily03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yup. I mean I was all in until Ford was so indecisive and wanted me to pay more than $38,000 for their brand new Bronco and had the audacity to charge for packages. I mean, 30 day delays..are you kidding me!! I'm buying a $10,000 used Honda Ridgeline because they are basically the same thing. Better get my $100 back!
Get a used Honda Element, it is the “comparable” vehicle. ?
Sponsored