First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
With what we know now could I tow this? I’m trying to find a travel trailer that my wife and I could use with a Bronco. She wants to go with me and she has settled on this lightweight trailer. I’m no expert so I’m asking the smarter people in the room
Ford Bronco Could I tow this? D6BB4402-AD4C-4255-A1F8-5CEDEC94AECE
Sponsored

sbledsoe

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

With what we know now could I tow this? I’m trying to find a travel trailer that my wife and I could use with a Bronco. She wants to go with me and she has settled on this lightweight trailer. I’m no expert so I’m asking the smarter people in the room
Ford Bronco Could I tow this? D6BB4402-AD4C-4255-A1F8-5CEDEC94AECE
Yessir! I'm looking at campers now myself. The bronco is rated to tow 3500lbs.

Major_Bullsteak

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy ZR2 Bison, JK Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As long as its loaded weight is below 3500 lbs. Could be pushing it with that depending on what all you want to carry.

Rocketeer Rick

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 STX 5.0L, 1999 Mustang Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agreed. You could get away with it if you're careful about loading it. If the empty/dry weight is 3000lb, and you fill the fresh water tank, you're already at 3320lb. That doesn't leave a lot for your gear, clothes, bedding, etc. You might have to limit how much water you keep onboard while traveling. Either way, you'd be right at the Bronco's limits.

I have no doubt that either engine will pull the weight just fine, I expect the limit is driven by suspension loading and stability at highway speed. If you run at the limit, I would recommend that 1) you use a weight distribution hitch, 2) you augment the hitch with a sway control device, and 3) consider installing airbags in the rear coils to help level the load. But the later point should be determined how well it carries the trailer in the first place. All of that goes without saying that you invest in a good trailer brake controller.

That's a nice, efficient floor plan though. Murphy beds make for great flexibility. My trailer is similar, but slightly longer so that the bathroom is across the rear. That makes enough room for a side sofa.

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you're pushing it. When I looked at travel trailers they all seemed heavier in reality vs what was stated in the specs. We were looking at larger units (30-35'). You could see if anyone on rv.net or irv2.com has one and has gone through the process of weighing it.

Sponsored

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
And oh, don’t get the factory hitch. You will probably want to upgrade to a class III.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I think the 3,500lbs of capacity might also include GCVW, the extra weight in the vehicle too, including people. You’re not leaving much weight for all the gear and people.

Sponsored

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Maybe on flat land. Here in Colorado I wouldn’t. I grew up on a farm towing since 12. Towed a trailer all over Colorado almost everyday for work for 6 years. 2000 max.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

getting close to the 'legal' limit since you'll be at 3310 pounds if you carry 38 gallons of water. the real question is what's driving the limit imposed by ford. it might be cooling (which is why the two FCA diesels have very different limits) or it could be the suspension .

it's not HP or wheelbase since the current Defender 110 has virtually the same wheelbase and HP rating (but is rated somewhere around 8500#) with coil suspension

SpecOpsHippie

Wildtrak
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Denali 2500HD, Audi Q5, Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
getting close to the 'legal' limit since you'll be at 3310 pounds if you carry 38 gallons of water. the real question is what's driving the limit imposed by ford. it might be cooling (which is why the two FCA diesels have very different limits) or it could be the suspension .

it's not HP or wheelbase since the current Defender 110 has virtually the same wheelbase and HP rating (but is rated somewhere around 8500#) with coil suspension
I hope I’m not misunderstanding But the defender is Air suspension.

And that’s usually the diff in tow ratings. Same reason an F250 and F350 can have vastly different tow rating with same engine and tranny.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you load it light and it truly is just you and your wife then maybe you'll be under the 3500lb limit. Until we know the GCWR you should assume that the Bronco will be like other Ford vehicles, which means that any weight in the tow vehicle over 300lbs of human starts to come off the towing capacity. So no "cheating" by loading a bunch of your gear into the Bronco instead of the trailer.

Now keep in mind there may be a big difference between what Ford rates it to tow and what it can actually tow, especially if you're careful. 3500lbs is a pitifully small rating for a non-Sasquatch four door model.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hope I’m not misunderstanding But the defender is Air suspension.

And that’s usually the diff in tow ratings. Same reason an F250 and F350 can have vastly different tow rating with same engine and tranny.
Defender and Defender X Dynamic get coils, First Edition and Defender X (non dynamic) get air
Sponsored