Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
We can wish all we want. Doesn't mean it'll happen. That's less than my Focus. 4-4.5k (depending on door config.) seems realistic for the Bronco in my opinion.
And yet 11 year ago, GM made a 7.0 L sports car that weighed 3140,
fully loaded with 325/275 tires and monster brakes.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Was some talk of full alum body a while back. That make it to production?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was some talk of full alum body a while back. That make it to production?

It’s been pretty heavily rumored/ I would guarantee at this point that the body is steel but anything that moves (hood, doors, swing gate) is aluminum

Jvrm1965

Badlands
First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 sportage awd, 2015 mirage
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I hope that it will be better than wrangler. By the way you have a 2015 wrangler, did you made a comparison, with info given so far with bronco, with the same? I been using info of ranger however their is a 2015 wrangler sport s for sale in my area for 25k but holding off purchase waiting to see if any leaks on bronco.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
And yet 11 year ago, GM made a 7.0 L sports car that weighed 3140,
fully loaded with 325/275 tires and monster brakes.
Yeah, I have one. Don't forget it's got an aluminum frame and suspension, magnesium engine subframe, aluminum driveshaft, cfrp body panels, manually adjustable passenger seat and a balsa wood floor (yes, really). They did a lot to get the weight down so far over a base C6 (3400lbs) while adding those big brakes and dry sump oil system, much of which we wouldn't want on an off-roader in the name of durability.

We'll probably never see a corvette that light again, modern safety standards and equipment add weight.

I'm still hopeful the Bronco won't be too much heavier than a Rubicon. If they can keep it below 4500lbs for the highest spec 2 door with the manual trans I'll be ok. Closer to 4000 would be preferable. I'm still disappointed that it reportedly will only have aluminum moving panels (doors, hood, swinggate) rather than the whole body.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah, I have one. Don't forget it's got an aluminum frame and suspension, magnesium engine subframe, aluminum driveshaft, cfrp body panels, manually adjustable passenger seat and a balsa wood floor (yes, really). They did a lot to get the weight down so far over a base C6 (3400lbs) while adding those big brakes and dry sump oil system, much of which we wouldn't want on an off-roader in the name of durability.

We'll probably never see a corvette that light again, modern safety standards and equipment add weight.

I'm still hopeful the Bronco won't be too much heavier than a Rubicon. If they can keep it below 4500lbs for the highest spec 2 door with the manual trans I'll be ok. Closer to 4000 would be preferable. I'm still disappointed that it reportedly will only have aluminum moving panels (doors, hood, swinggate) rather than the whole body.
I had a fairly durable jeep cj that had a 2x4 to replace a couple body mounts. Durable, yes, safe? Hell no! But yeah that is the real problem with modern cars they are fat. Im hoping in the coming decades we will start seeing lighter materials that are plenty durable. I think thats why and how the current horsepower wars are even allowed to be happening. If Ford would have produced a 760hp mustang in 1969 and unleashed it on the streets with their safety of the time, the whole company would have been sued into oblivion and they executives locked up for accessory to manslaughter. But with todays safety innovations we can get around it. Unfortunatly for us HP wont always get you out of a mud hole you sunk to your frame in. But thats why all the mall crawlers have winches and hi lifts. Anyways weight is the enemy and the savior. Hopefully the Bronco was built to balance the 2.
If it is over 5000lb for the 4 door I may have to go to the 2 door just to keep from sinking at the beach. Unless i get some 15 inch wide swampers. they'll get you out of anything.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Wait....are you saying the number I pulled directly out of my backside a couple of days ago is actually correct/close? Or are you just using that number to troll people? I'm cool with it either way. I just want to know.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
A lot has changed in 11 years....
Sure, and even the C8 is 3366 lbs. I get it that the vette starts
with a 60K car, so easier to make it lighter when you start at
that price point.

But I think the stang should have a different chassis/body (materials)
when it starts reaching and eclipsing the price of a new vette.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Wait....are you saying the number I pulled directly out of my backside a couple of days ago is actually correct/close? Or are you just using that number to troll people? I'm cool with it either way. I just want to know.
Follow-up question: why would the curb weight be more than the 4500lb Ranger which is longer?

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Follow-up question: why would the curb weight be more than the 4500lb Ranger which is longer?
More windows. More internal structural support. All the extra sheet metal that encloses that which would be the bed on a Ranger.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I would expect it to be a bit heavier than the Ranger just because there's body panels and structure over where the open bed on the Ranger would be. I thought I was overestimating at 5k. 4600-4800ish was more what I was actually expecting.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Between the beefed up suspension components (one of the mules has that beefier rear axle) frame, bigger tires, more technology, accessories, spare tire carrier, roof rack, width, bumpers, etc I can easily see the Bronco 4 door being heavier than the ranger.
Sponsored

Last edited: