Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Do you need it now, or can you wait 6 months to a year if you go Bronco?
Sponsored

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you’re debating it... you already know what to do.

395N

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Rubicon XR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Get the 4Runner if you are not seeking 35s or bigger. I recently sold my 4Runner TRD Pro and it was a solid rig with 3 inch lift and 285's.
I just need more ground clearance for off road and didn't want the drama for 35's on the 4Runner.
If long term reliability and mild off roading are at the top of the list...go 4Runner.
Ford Bronco Tomorrow is the day.. Bronco or 4Runner TRD Pro 14EB9257-638D-4DA9-9B0C-4B0CBD2FC867
Ford Bronco Tomorrow is the day.. Bronco or 4Runner TRD Pro 7B0345D9-39EB-488C-955B-86218430CF93

Last edited:

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I would not buy the Toyota. I just got done driving a 4runner for the last 6 years. Fine vehicle but very dated and underpowered. Once you put 33s on it, you can kiss all your torque goodby.

It’s an 11 year old vehicle with almost no updates. If you are going to go that route, you mind as well by a 2015. It’s the same truck.

Aftermarket isn’t great. You have to cut and trim the front and rear to put aftermarket bumpers on it. In comparison to the wrangler, all the aftermarket parts are expensive. The majority of front bumpers are complete tanks. You can get good suspension kits for good prices.

The bronco you are looking at is geared right, comes with plenty of torque, dual lockers, sway bar disconnect, modern design with up to date features. Plus the top and doors come off. No comparison in my book.

Philly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4Runners are sweet and Lunar Rock looks killer, but I think you should go with a Bronco. Like others have said, they should hold their value very well for at least the first couple of years until they are easier to get and you can flip it if you hate it.

Topless and doorless driving is an awesome experience and this alone made it so I would never consider a 4Runner (and I want a two door). If you haven’t driven without a roof and doors ever, you’re going to love it.

There are pros and cons to each, but ultimately it is up to you.

Also, I recommend asking the same question on a 4Runner forum because we are likely biased here, and they will likely be biased there, but at least you get both sides of it.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Kia Telluride, 2012 Caravan
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If you get the 4Runner TDR, just get the non TDR Pro or the trail version. It can do 90% of the stuff the Pro can do but much less $. The only thing I'm not a fan of the 4Runner is it's out dated styling, old school engine and a 5-speed trans. I would want something that would still look good 4 years from now. And every time I would look at it, it would remind me it looks like a 10 year old SUV. And just knowing a newer one will be coming out in the next few years with a model transmission I would regret it buying one now. If a newer model was expended to show up on dealer lots the same time or a bit later than the Bronco then I may wait. But knowing the Bronco looks much better, its more modern, more capable, quicker, likely better fuel mileage. All my focus is looking at a Bronco. I've been in a 4Runner and I'm guessing you have to since your looking at one. They just don't feel as big inside as they look from the outside. I believe the Bronco will have more usable room, better suspension and the modularity of the roof is a plus. If I was in the market for an off-roader now and the Bronco wasn't an option. I would stick with my truck. I still wouldn't get the 4Runner due its out dated looks and engine/trans and refuse to buy a Jeep. If you haven't driven the 4Runner yet; do it. Ask yourself if you can live with that engine/trans several years down the road. Not me...
Thanks for the reply. Good points.

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I would not buy the Toyota. I just got done driving a 4runner for the last 6 years. Fine vehicle but very dated and underpowered. Once you put 33s on it, you can kiss all your torque goodby.

It’s an 11 year old vehicle with almost no updates. If you are going to go that route, you mind as well by a 2015. It’s the same truck.

Aftermarket isn’t great. You have to cut and trim the front and rear to put aftermarket bumpers on it. In comparison to the wrangler, all the aftermarket parts are expensive. The majority of front bumpers are complete tanks. You can get good suspension kits for good prices.

The bronco you are looking at is geared right, comes with plenty of torque, dual lockers, sway bar disconnect, modern design with up to date features. Plus the top and doors come off. No comparison in my book.

OP
OP
revans1009

revans1009

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I I’ve a dodge caravan which had been fine. So either are uprade

mattrb87

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I bet if the bronco were on this same April delivery timeline as the 4Runner, there would be a lot less back and forth debate and the decision would be easier. It seems to me the biggest issue for people not converting their res to an order is when will they get it. Like others have said, if you don’t need a new vehicle right away and can afford to wait, go with the bronco for the wow/cool/fun factor. Can’t argue with Toyota’s quality and re-sale value as I’m a fan of the 4Runner, but if you decide against the bronco, I’m sure you will have regret when everyone else starts getting theirs and wish you had stuck it out. It will be nice to drive something different than most others, at least for a little bit. In the end, do what makes you happy and the most sense for you.

As for Ford’s quality, I have never owned a Ford vehicle so this will be my first, but I feel better about the fact that Ford (and Tesla) were the only American carmakers to not go bankrupt during the financial crisis, so they must be doing something right consistently, even if they did screw with the trim options

PS...if you cancel then it helps everyone else get their bronco quicker....1 bronco at a time.

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is the Toyota a bronco?

I think I made my point. 🙃😏

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So here's my dilemma: Ford ... I've loved the Bronco style since it was first put out there, the styling is phenomenal in my opinion and color choices are great as all but black appeal to me. Capabilities in KOH videos seem excellent.. BUT, Ford.. delays, rust, twin turbo v6, and tons of electronics = worry me about reliability. I may also be a bit biased because my particular dealer is awful with communication and transparency.
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro: wasn't a fan of the style until I looked at it more, and more, and more. Then I found all the after-market world which is very Jeep-like. I can get the TRD Pro for about $6K less than the Badlands build I have. The 4Runner is dated, has way less options (and electronics) and I would still go 33s and a lift which is extra cash but I can to that for $400 from westcott. Is it bad that it's not a twin-turbo v6 with all the bells and whistles.. hmmm (more to go wrong?)
The drive line of the Bronco (v6 and 10spd) is very well proven. But if it's going to make you worry(without merit)....hard to put a value on peace of mind.

Rust....you are bringing up Fords surface rust on HEAVY cast axles, etc and forgetting all about Toyotas frame rust through issues on 4Runners and Tacos.

Do you ever intend to tow? I believe 4runner wins that contest by a long shot.

I do not know which will have more interior room, but it sounds like maybe the 4Runner?
For a family hauler/overlander, room has got to be a priority. Not enough room inside in either case? Well , now you need to tow a trailer....... aaand your back at Toyota again.

How about GVWR if you plan to roof mount a bunch of crap? I'm sure Yota wins that one again, by a landslide.

Co-worker is driving a 4runner on 35's, Fox coilovers( wishes he had gotten the Kings), fabbed up a well hidden winch mount behind the front bumper, etc etc. It's a pretty sweet rig.

Just him and the girlfriend did a Colorado tent based Overland trip and he said space was TIGHT , just for the two of them.

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So where is this rust coming from as a negative for Ford? I don’t see the Bronco being any quicker to rust than the 4Runner.
I’m hearing The new Ford F-150 is rusting away underneath . Ford dealerships saying it’s ok and shoeing customers away smh .

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man I just can't even see these two choices being comparable in any way...

TRD 4Runner:

OLD styling (Not timeless, old)
OLD Technology
Very basic 4wd capability
Weak engine w/ horrible gas mileage
"Normal" Vehicle

Bronco:

Brand new styling (IMO they nailed it)
New Technology (Cameras, Sync4, GOAT modes)
Lockers, Swaybar Disco, IFS, Gucci Bilstein shocks
325 HP / 400 ft/lb.
33 / 35" tires
Doors and Roof come off!

Maybe I'm biased because when I looked at 4Runner TRD Pro's in the past both dealers wanted ADM on them. Like huh?

deejaybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Tomorrow I finalize either my Bronco order or my 2021 Lunar Gray TRD Pro purchase (being built now w/delivery end of April). I've spent way too much time learning all the off-roading/overlanding lifestyle in the last year. To be quite honest, I am torn. A few thousand less for TRD PRO vs. my intended Badlands/Lux/Sasquatch build. Toyota is "old" but bulletproof and has incredible re-sale value.

Intended use is simple, go off beaten path, get my kids involved, and I tend to push limits. Rock crawling? Not likely, but then again, if the opportunity comes... My oldest son already want to "get lost" and go fishing, camping, etc.

So here's my dilemma: Ford ... I've loved the Bronco style since it was first put out there, the styling is phenomenal in my opinion and color choices are great as all but black appeal to me. Capabilities in KOH videos seem excellent.. BUT, Ford.. delays, rust, twin turbo v6, and tons of electronics = worry me about reliability. I may also be a bit biased because my particular dealer is awful with communication and transparency.
Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro: wasn't a fan of the style until I looked at it more, and more, and more. Then I found all the after-market world which is very Jeep-like. I can get the TRD Pro for about $6K less than the Badlands build I have. The 4Runner is dated, has way less options (and electronics) and I would still go 33s and a lift which is extra cash but I can to that for $400 from westcott. Is it bad that it's not a twin-turbo v6 with all the bells and whistles.. hmmm (more to go wrong?)

So, help me.. tomorrow I meet with Ford first thing in AM to do my build. Then I walk without giving them the $900 additional they want to meet with Toyota. There I will speak with sales manager who had no idea I was paying cash and wanted to talk financing options. :) I personally like the styling of the bronco better and those 35s.. and all that capability. But the 4Runner is 98% as capable and most of the driving is still on-road.

At the end of the day, I want a long-term off road vehicle that once all my kids are out of the house my wife and I can go and enjoy. .... So, I welcome any and all insight.
Definitely the TRD

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Have you driven a new Ranger. They drive really nicely. The Bronco is supposed to drive even better. Agreed with all the comments about the 4 runner being a dated vehicle. 5 speed tranny.......not 6....but 5.....My friend got one and it had a mild lift and 33s....Looks good but he said the 33s really rob it of any power. If you want to keep this vehicle for a while I think you at least have to test drive a new Bronco before making a final decision. Hopefully your deposit is refundable and you can walk away if it doesnt blow you away, but I think it will.

If you do go 4 runner, agreed with the other comments, dont get the pro. They have a hefty premium over a TRD offroad for not much more and they usually dont haggle on those. You can get a TRD offroad, haggle about 3k off, lift it and throw on some new wheels with 33s and have a much more capable vehicle for less.
Sponsored