Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

stay tuned. R&D gets to do fun stuff.

You know I gotta try >>>>>>>>>> :unsure: If I unbolt my front and rear fenders off of my Squatched Bronco will 37's (that are not really 37's, gotta love that stuff. 😁 ) fit ??????

Inquiring minds want to know.
Sponsored

rugbyback

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’d believe them too, but I didn’t hear that in the video. I heard them refer to the “black” shocks of the models and the “yellow” shocks of the squatch… but no mention of the “yellow” shocks of the Badlands…

Adding further confusion, in this very thread Ryan said there is no difference between BL and Squatch shocks lending credence to BL being different than Base (even after North7 shared the thread with the different P/Ns and design)

The real world measurements are intriguing, but those one-off measurements contradict published specs… but let’s say the Position sensitive shocks on the BL are designed to be the exact same length as the black ones… that still doesn’t jive with the physical difference visible between say an OB and a BL in terms of height and wheel well clearance.

So according to everything presented so far, we can say:

Base shares same suspension height as BL, but BL is higher, and squatch is the highest, but is also the same height as BL, and the BL and Sas shocks are different but also the same.

I’m not trying to argue just to be contrarian… I legit don’t think we know what’s going on yet…. And I just desperately want to have some definitive answers for once and it’s just getting worse not better and I’m tire so very tired.

1620956110045.gif
Not sure if I ever actually read it here, but always assumed there was a suspension height difference between the base vs BL. I can confirm there is definitely a difference between the BL and SAS.

Was at the event in Conshy PA where they had a non-SAS BL and a BD SAS. Actually placed a flat edge across the top of the tire to negate any crown and allow a straight measurement to the center of the rim. I then took a measurement from this same flat edge to the edge of the metal fender that is covered by the flare. (Negating any difference in flare angle) Added both measurements together. Figured it was the easiest way to get somewhat accurate straight line measurements without removing the wheel. There was a 1/2” difference, give or take about a 1/8”

Last edited:

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are two Bilstein shocks... one for the Badlands and one for the Sasquatch. Some of the known differences:
  • Different part numbers for shocks and springs
  • Reservoir mount is reversed
  • Lift is slightly different
More info here...

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-stance-shots-suspension-parts-numbers.15790/
Thank you
The shocks being different was not clear to me.
So I think this means there are 3 shock types.
1 Base BB BD OB
2 BL
3 SAS

All with different part numbers and look different.

And different springs too.

NotaVegetarian

Badlands
First Name
Nota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco, 1979 Bronco, F250 Super Crew
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good now look into dropping some 40’s on some

Sponsored
OP
OP
dirtstar2002

dirtstar2002

Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72K5Blazer, 1980Toyota Hilux, 2014 silverado1500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You know I gotta try >>>>>>>>>> :unsure: If I unbolt my front and rear fenders off of my Squatched Bronco will 37's (that are not really 37's, gotta love that stuff. 😁 ) fit ??????

Inquiring minds want to know.
if start with light trimming and go from there. Lol

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

extended and compressed are probably the same. That doesn’t mean spring rate, preload or seat height is the same. I just want to clarify that. For simplicity it’s easier for customers to recognize black shocks can get a level lift, yellow shocks cannot. Sorry for the confusion.
So is the shock/spring coilover setup on a squatch pretty much the same max extension length as the 4wp coilover? How much extra lift can you get from 4wp setup compared to squatch if you can’t add a spacer to a squatch?

When you said maybe someone will make taller springs did you mean also modifying the upper spring mount(perch?)? I don’t know how it all works?

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
a taller spring means exactly that ... a taller spring. No modification of the upper perch needed. Remove OEM spring and install a taller spring. This is a common mod to raise the front end by 1-2 inches (depending on the spring height) on a vehicle with a coilover setup.

So is the shock/spring coilover setup on a squatch pretty much the same max extension length as the 4wp coilover? How much extra lift can you get from 4wp setup compared to squatch if you can’t add a spacer to a squatch?

When you said maybe someone will make taller springs did you mean also modifying the upper spring mount(perch?)? I don’t know how it all works?

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

a taller spring means exactly that ... a taller spring. No modification of the upper perch needed. Remove OEM spring and install a taller spring. This is a common mod to raise the front end by 1-2 inches (depending on the spring height) on a vehicle with a coilover setup.
He said adding a spacer to squatch would bind the CV. I’m trying to understand that.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

He said adding a spacer to squatch would bind the CV. I’m trying to understand that.
Adding a spacer on top of coilover will allow the lower arm to drop too far and bind the CV, since droop is normally limited by the shock itself. But adding a longer/stronger spring or collar perch would lift the vehicle without affecting the shock's ability to limit the downward and upward travel. In other words, all of the best options to level/lift work fine (spacers are always bad).

Sponsored

rainman23

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adding a spacer on top of coilover will allow the lower arm to drop too far and bind the CV, since droop is normally limited by the shock itself. But adding a longer/stronger spring or collar perch would lift the vehicle without affecting the shock's ability to limit the downward and upward travel. In other words, all of the best options to level/lift work fine (spacers are always bad).
Probably a dumb question that’s been covered somewhere, but how do you get lift AND increase travel with IFS. I’m assuming it’s expensive…

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably a dumb question that’s been covered somewhere, but how do you get lift AND increase travel with IFS. I’m assuming it’s expensive…
4WP is saying that their adjustable shock has greater range than factory shock (but still in safe CV angle). Otherwise, longer arms (Warthog/Raptor suspension).

EDIT: it is not clear to me if the 20% increase of travel limit for 4WP shock is compared to the base shock or the sasquatch. If Sasquatch, then that would be impressive. Otherwise, perhaps that is just on par with BL & Sas shocks.

Last edited:

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I’m trying to understand. In this case were talking about the max extension, controlled either by a short spring or maxed out shock right? Isn’t adding a spacer, longer shock, or taller spring all good till you mess up the cv angle. Add a UCA to fix geometry. Ride quality will differ in all cases. I don’t know if he’s just talking about the one spacer “level” they currently developed. Someone could come out with a 1/2”, 1”, or 1.5” level/lift w/ spacers. Will any of those work on a squatch?

I will never go beyond 33 on my Bronco, maybe 34s. I personally think squatch looks too stuffed. If my base shows up level on delivery, I’ll leave it alone. I think spacer is fine for a small level. You get factory ride quality. The 4wp video I saw it looked a little stiff, need to see more.

rainman23

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4WP is saying that their adjustable shock has greater range than factory shock (but still in safe CV angle). Otherwise, longer arms (Warthog/Raptor suspension).
Thank you. I needed the simple answer.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m trying to understand. In this case were talking about the max extension, controlled either by a short spring or maxed out shock right? Isn’t adding a spacer, longer shock, or taller spring all good till you mess up the cv angle. Add a UCA to fix geometry. Ride quality will differ in all cases. I don’t know if he’s just talking about the one spacer “level” they currently developed. Someone could come out with a 1/2”, 1”, or 1.5” level/lift w/ spacers. Will any of those work on a squatch?
A spacer increases the maximum extension, potentially to the point where the CV binds up and is destroyed. A longer spring increases the typical CV angle, but the maximum extension is not increased so the CV can't bind and grenade. Longer springs do not necessarily result in a harsh ride, but they are slightly harder to install than a spacer. Hopefully Eibach will come up with some good spring upgrades for Bronco.
Sponsored