Sponsored

Fit 35" tires on Outer Banks factory wheels?

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anybody’s guess at this point. The only thing we know is the lug spacing is 139.7mm. Bore and offset are still unknowns. I plan on aftermarket 18 x 9 wheels, once all the factors are known.
Me too. I think I will also include a small Backspace of -18 (pretty standard on many wheels), which would change the offset from about 4.5" (center) to about 4.2", slightly pushing the wheel and tire out). This will move it just a bit farther from the wheel wells and and probable inner supports... and also give a slightly more aggressive stance!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did find where the width is stated by Ford (different post, but is it on the Bronco site) 18” wheel on OBX is 7.5”. OK for most 33” tires, too narrow for most 35”. I am still thinking 275/70/18 may be the sweet spot if it fits without modifications.
Clearance aside-35 x 11.50 R18 will fit stock OB rims

Incognito

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 jk
Your Bronco Model
Base
I believe that the sasquach adds longer control arms to the IFS for the 35s. I don't think a simple body lift will be enough, please correct me if I am mistaken.
Simply changing the offset of a rim, even with the same with tire, changes your track width.
The Sasquatch has 315 (12.5") tires, VS 285 (10.2") and less for the rest of the models.

The Sasquatch rims have visibly a visibly deeper offset than any other version.
The track width is by default, wider for and given rim backspacing.

---------

For our Bronco forum members who are not familiar with upsizeing tires;

For any given maximum backspacing of your rims before the rubber hits the suspension and inner fenders, as you go wider and taller in you tire size, you need more rim offset.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s unlikely you will want tic put 35s on outer bank wheels. They are 18” wheels and most 35s are for 17” wheels. You will end up paying a premium for the tires and it might be more cost effective to buy new 17” wheels and sell the old ones on Craigslist.

Also, the offset on the wheels might not be correct for 12.5” wide tires.

KKCrunch

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Badlands 33” tires and wheels photoshopped onto an Outer Banks. Gives you a good visual.

EA8FE9DF-0A96-48FE-890B-F6DEA1B69A81.jpeg
OMG Love that look !!! I'll be ripping the 255/70/R18's off and putting those on the day after I bring it home.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Okay, so I feel incredibly stupid for having to ask this question, but I think (hope!) you guys will be kind. :)

So I don't want to pay for the Sasquatch package, and my Outer Banks model will be just a DD and street queen. A little creek bed in WV is about all the action she's ever going to see. I'd like to get 35" tires just to boost her up slightly in height. Can I use the factory rims that come on the Outer Banks and buy my own 35" tires? Being the tightwad that I am, I'd like to wear out the tires that come on it and then replace with 35" tires, if that's possible.
I also have a non-sasquatch OBX on order, and have heavily researched tire options. The largest tire that will fit on the factory 18" rims is 275/70R18. When you move to 285 and above, the stock 7.5" rims are not wide enough. Most of the 285 and above tires require a 8" or more rim. There are more options in the 17" tire size, which is probably why most upsizing is on 17" wheels. That also gives more section height over our OBX 18"wheels, which is important for tire impact when airing down.

OBX stock tires weigh 40#, are on 7.5" wide 18" rims, inflate to 44# with a 10.2 section width, 7" tread, 32.1" diameter. Load range SL, 2535".

The other problem with the 18" rims is that the 275/70R18 tires are available either in P ratings (thinner sidewall, quieter 35-44# inflation) or LT (heavy duty sidewall for air down, noisier, 80# inflation & a heavier E rated tire). I havent found that "D" rated mid-rated tire with the stronger sidewalls that works at 50# inflation. They are all either in 17" diameter sizes, or they require an 18" rim that is 1" wider than the OBX 7.5".

Keep in mind im mostly a beach sand driver, and this is my daily auto. Personally, I'm down to 3 options in 33" AT (I don't want the noise of MT) tires that will fit stock OBX rims. The simplist is the sister Bridgestone, the Dueler AT Revo 3, LT 275/70R18: 33.3 diameter, 50# 11"Section, 8.6" tread, load E at 80#. Its an inch higher than stock, tread is 1.6" wider. Only 10# heavier per tire, a suspension wear concern.

My favorite is the new Baja Boss AT from Mickey Thompson in 275/70R18. Measured on a 7" rim, its 33.4" diameter, has a 9.6" tread/10.8 section, and weighs 67# per tire. Since the stock OBX is not built for tires 27# heavier than stock, I'll discuss this with experts when the time comes. Also, this is .2 inch taller than others have found fit without a .67 spacer. It night sit .2 lower on our 7.5" rim.

The 3rd choice may be the ideal on the Stock 18" rims with no suspension modification for now: the new Nitto Terra Grappler G2 AT: LT275/70R18, 33.19 diameter, 10.98 section, weighs 52.25 lbs, 12 pounds more per tire than stock, load range E @ 80# inflation, part #216150.

The commentators who say just SAS the OBX have a point, but this is my daily driver and the Badlands style 33" tires apoeal to me, so thats what im doing here. I imagine I'll eventually upgrade the front shocks to add the recommended .67 inch lift others have found allows the OBX to fit 33# tires, and add some durability as well. I suppose the rear may need a spacer or new shocks as well. But all this will be a conversation with experts once i actually get the car, and others have had opportunity to try options. Id like to know what you eventually do.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I also have a non-sasquatch OBX on order, and have heavily researched tire options. The largest tire that will fit on the factory 18" rims is 275/70R18. When you move to 285 and above, the stock 7.5" rims are not wide enough. Most of the 285 and above tires require a 8" or more rim. There are more options in the 17" tire size, which is probably why most upsizing is on 17" wheels. That also gives more section height over our OBX 18"wheels, which is important for tire impact when airing down.

OBX stock tires weigh 40#, are on 7.5" wide 18" rims, inflate to 44# with a 10.2 section width, 7" tread, 32.1" diameter. Load range SL, 2535".

The other problem with the 18" rims is that the 275/70R18 tires are available either in P ratings (thinner sidewall, quieter 35-44# inflation) or LT (heavy duty sidewall for air down, noisier, 80# inflation & a heavier E rated tire). I havent found that "D" rated mid-rated tire with the stronger sidewalls that works at 50# inflation. They are all either in 17" diameter sizes, or they require an 18" rim that is 1" wider than the OBX 7.5".

Keep in mind im mostly a beach sand driver, and this is my daily auto. Personally, I'm down to 3 options in 33" AT (I don't want the noise of MT) tires that will fit stock OBX rims. The simplist is the sister Bridgestone, the Dueler AT Revo 3, LT 275/70R18: 33.3 diameter, 50# 11"Section, 8.6" tread, load E at 80#. Its an inch higher than stock, tread is 1.6" wider. Only 10# heavier per tire, a suspension wear concern.

My favorite is the new Baja Boss AT from Mickey Thompson in 275/70R18. Measured on a 7" rim, its 33.4" diameter, has a 9.6" tread/10.8 section, and weighs 67# per tire. Since the stock OBX is not built for tires 27# heavier than stock, I'll discuss this with experts when the time comes. Also, this is .2 inch taller than others have found fit without a .67 spacer. It night sit .2 lower on our 7.5" rim.

The 3rd choice may be the ideal on the Stock 18" rims with no suspension modification for now: the new Nitto Terra Grappler G2 AT: LT275/70R18, 33.19 diameter, 10.98 section, weighs 52.25 lbs, 12 pounds more per tire than stock, load range E @ 80# inflation, part #216150.

The commentators who say just SAS the OBX have a point, but this is my daily driver and the Badlands style 33" tires apoeal to me, so thats what im doing here. I imagine I'll eventually upgrade the front shocks to add the recommended .67 inch lift others have found allows the OBX to fit 33# tires, and add some durability as well. I suppose the rear may need a spacer or new shocks as well. But all this will be a conversation with experts once i actually get the car, and others have had opportunity to try options. Id like to know what you eventually do.
Man, thanks for all the great research and recommendations. I'm thinking of getting slightly bigger, wider "summer tires" for my OBX (and swapping them out every six months) and this answers a lot of questions for me.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Man, thanks for all the great research and recommendations. I'm thinking of getting slightly bigger, wider "summer tires" for my OBX (and swapping them out every six months) and this answers a lot of questions for me.
If you want 2" more width, but the same height as stock, the 275/65R18 will give you 2 in more width at the same height than the stock 255/70R18. I have these on my F150 in Michelin LTX 275/65R18. They are comfortable, quiet, and great on the beach. However, they SQUEAK or chirp on beach sand, over 10 mph, at 20#, very wierd. The factory Tech I talked to at Baja or Nitto Tire said that that "evacuation" noise comes from a tread that doesn't evacuate sand well enough, which is a problem with more street-oriented tires! The same noise happened on E rated Michelins on an Excursion i had! It will be interesting to see if the stock OBX tires squeak on the beach. Would be ironic if the Bronco "Outer Banks" model cant drive on the Outer Banks without the tires chirping!

Nitto does make a summer only "Dune Grappler", 285/65R18, but it needs an 8.5" wide rim so you have to buy new 8.5in wide 18" rims for that tire on the OBX or new 17" rims. Nitto told me that tire is back in stock "temporarily" and is not for everybody.

For a more street oriented AT, Micky Thompson also makes the Deegan 38 series, I keep thinking about might work on beach, wider than OBX stock. Lighter wright than MT Baja series. Love to know what you end up doing!

Reactions: sjp

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you want 2" more width, but the same height as stock, the 275/65R18 will give you 2 in more width at the same height than the stock 255/70R18. I have these on my F150 in Michelin LTX 275/65R18. They are comfortable, quiet, and great on the beach. However, they SQUEAK or chirp on beach sand, over 10 mph, at 20#, very wierd. The factory Tech I talked to at Baja or Nitto Tire said that that "evacuation" noise comes from a tread that doesn't evacuate sand well enough, which is a problem with more street-oriented tires! The same noise happened on E rated Michelins on an Excursion i had! It will be interesting to see if the stock OBX tires squeak on the beach. Would be ironic if the Bronco "Outer Banks" model cant drive on the Outer Banks without the tires chirping!

Nitto does make a summer only "Dune Grappler", 285/65R18, but it needs an 8.5" wide rim so you have to buy new 8.5in wide 18" rims for that tire on the OBX or new 17" rims. Nitto told me that tire is back in stock "temporarily" and is not for everybody.

For a more street oriented AT, Micky Thompson also makes the Deegan 38 series, I keep thinking about might work on beach, wider than OBX stock. Lighter wright than MT Baja series. Love to know what you end up doing!
Thanks for this additional info.

I'm a thousand miles from the nearest beach, so not so worried about squeaking as I am about the tires rubbing on hard turns if the sidewalls are too big or the tread's too wide. I know very little about wheels and tires - but I'm learning! This is super helpful. Once I land on the perfect set I'll be sure to post here.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As I have said previously elsewhere. I think that a second set of rims with a different offset will give you a bit more room. I am pretty convinced that there should be enough room to slide a 33.5" tire in there on a +30 offset 17"x9" rim. In my case, I ordered the RTR Tech 6 17"x9" +30 rims with Milestar Patagonia M/T 295/70R17 tires. This is only reducing the overall clearance by 0.7" with a 0.7" gain in ride height. If 3/4" is too much upward travel, I will be shocked. I plan to pull the crash bars if necessary. I think that the stock offset of +55 will be part of the limiting factor with regard to tire size.

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As I have said previously elsewhere. I think that a second set of rims with a different offset will give you a bit more room. I am pretty convinced that there should be enough room to slide a 33.5" tire in there on a +30 offset 17"x9" rim. In my case, I ordered the RTR Tech 6 17"x9" +30 rims with Milestar Patagonia M/T 295/70R17 tires. This is only reducing the overall clearance by 0.7" with a 0.7" gain in ride height. If 3/4" is too much upward travel, I will be shocked. I plan to pull the crash bars if necessary. I think that the stock offset of +55 will be part of the limiting factor with regard to tire size.
Post the photos when you do it!

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Okay, so I feel incredibly stupid for having to ask this question, but I think (hope!) you guys will be kind. :)

So I don't want to pay for the Sasquatch package, and my Outer Banks model will be just a DD and street queen. A little creek bed in WV is about all the action she's ever going to see. I'd like to get 35" tires just to boost her up slightly in height. Can I use the factory rims that come on the Outer Banks and buy my own 35" tires? Being the tightwad that I am, I'd like to wear out the tires that come on it and then replace with 35" tires, if that's possible.
Good thing I did a search before posting, I was going to ask the same question. But it just seems the more I read the better off you are just forking out the $$$$ for the Sasquatch package. But my cheap-ass can't fathom shelling out 6k for that esp if I can just get the parts myself, save some $$$ and do the install. I know my way around a wrench or two ;) . I do have to admit, the Bronco does look so much better with the bigger tires on it. Maybe I'll just save more $$$$ before I place my order or look around when the dealers start receiving stock to sell.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That's basically what I did, second set of rims for off-roading (17x9 +30 Offset) and a set of 295/70R17 (33.5"x12.5") Milestar Patagonia M/T's on my OBX 2 Door.

RobCo

Big Bend
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, 1977 Ford Bronco project
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's basically what I did, second set of rims for off-roading (17x9 +30 Offset) and a set of 295/70R17 (33.5"x12.5") Milestar Patagonia M/T's on my OBX 2 Door.
Did you have to make any other changes?

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm a little late to your party... But having done a shit ton of tires at my "hobby shop", the 285/75R18 should be a great choice for the OB wheels to get to a 35. Might actually be 1/4 taller than a traditional 35.

Need some lift and bump stops and probably, but not sure this early in the game, some wheel spacers.
Sponsored