Sponsored

Just test drove a 2 Door WT ... Eh! Some disappointing discoveries.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's funny because just a few hours ago I test drove a WT SAS 2.7L & I was floored by the get up & go it had. Last fall I tested a 2.3L lifted ranger & was satisfied with the output. I guess to each their own..
Same here. I drove a WT and was impressed by the acceleration from the 2.7. I actually was taken aback when I stepped on the pedal. This is from a guy who strictly owns V8 Fords. I had doubts going in, and the eco boost motors were my biggest concern. The test drive eliminated that concern. As for the sound system, it was a Mid package and it sounded fine to me. A while back I was able to compare the standard system with the B&O. The sub woofer was what made the B&O sound a tad better. The test Drive did create one issue. Now I am not so sure if I will go with the two door. The ride was smooth. The transmission didnā€™t miss a beat. The vehicle had 240 miles on it . Iā€™m still in.
Sponsored

TransporterG

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Expectations are so high for this Bronco. Anecdotal does often trump empirical in the beginning. If it totally sucks, I won't hesitate to dump it, rather than throw thousands of $$$ into customizing a dud truck just because I want to like it. Bad sound system on the B&O top package, that rat hole of an engine bay. Time to reduce expectations?

mjbk12

Badlands
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any Jeep owners that have experience with the broncoā€™s sound system? Curious how they compare being both vehicle lose the speakers in the door concept...
I'm waiting on my bronco but I'll say thus about my 2016 jeep wranglers sound system. Tge speakers from the factory sucked. I replaced the speakers and stayed with the original head unit, but their software for connecting to Android phones sucks as well. I'm limping along with the stereo as is as I haven't decided if I'm keeping it or dumping it after buying the bronco.

BFizzy

Big Bend
First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
ā€œMY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... ā€

I understand the logic that the 2.7 should be peppier than the 2.3, but donā€™t knock it until you try it (especially with the manual).

Sponsored

Lagrange 6g

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 f250 2014 landcruiser 1978 cj5
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The sounds system takes a 1000 Mikeā€™s to break in then itā€™s really good
So took about a 30 minute drive in a 2 Door WT (Roseville, CA)....

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

Flame away, but here are my take aways..

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

... If I think of anything else I'll update.

Bogeybekk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Completely agree with you on the dash geometry. I drove a manual and it was hard to see the tach (digital bar tach also sucked). Hoping once you drive it for a while and get your seat adjusted, the dash wonā€™t be an issue.

Demoncleaner

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave 6 speed
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Unless itā€™s a sports car, You have to work hard to make vehicles perform like they ought too these days. I turn off traction control in my new 6 speed Mojave as soon as I start it now. Itā€™s always cutting the powerā€¦just watch the dashā€¦

zfischer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Tacoma, 4WD Sprinter, BJ42 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Not a slight on anyone--I'm sure the OP is a better driver than me--but I know that when I've been driving NA for awhile, it takes me some getting used to modulating the throttle properly for best acceleration with a turbo. Usually dropping the pedal to the floor as fast as you can gets a negative result in a turbo, a least without a post-factory tune.

Also, wouldn't it be sad for Mazda if a big ol' Bronco was shredding a 3000 pound Mazda 3 with the 2.5? Especially if it's a skyactiv?

Sponsored

BTomorama

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One thing to keep in mind as people are getting their Broncos or testing mannies is that the engine computer is still in break in mode and limits the amount of pressure the turbos can push out.

Everyone who has ridden in Moab, ride alongs, or the Off Rodeos has ridden in pre-broken-in Broncos (or non-limited).

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Exactly....some people think a truck needs to be a 500 horsepower race ready rig to be interesting. They never drove an old B2000 or 4 runner or....anything. What do you expect for $38,000? Oh yeah, they expect a killer stereo, luxory trim, electronic gadgets to rival the SpaceX Dragon. And want to pay $55,000. Not me, I get bare bones....truck.....and I'm happy.

Dr.Detroit

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F-150 XLT 150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Put it like this: imagine that woman you've been dreaming about getting into bed for say...a year... And you finally do, and she just lays there! Sure, it was enjoyable, but not really what you had imagined. Would you do it again if given the chance.... No doubt! but that fantasy has been shattered.

1) very first thing I noticed was that the dash seemed like it was pointing at my feet. I'm not very tall but the dash is pointing straight out at my chest instead of being slightly tilted back. Yeah I'll get used to it, but I the taller you are, I can imagine the worse the angle gets.

2) The sound system (not B&O, only had Mid package) was horrific. Has to be one of the worst I've had in any of my cars in the last two or three decades. I never realized what a difference door speakers make. I cranked up the volume and it sounded like crap. Noticing the rear speakers were tiny so I faded the sound just to the back and they may as well have been a pair of headsets.. terrible sounding.... No way in hell I'm paying the extra for Lux, but dang Ford... Really?

3) let me apologize ahead of time to all my fellow members of the forum... But it's about the engine. I have a Mazda 3 with the 2.5 n/a. When in sports mode, it puts you back in your seat. The Bronco is twice as heavy AND it had 35's, but with the 2.7 twin Turbo'd, I had expected at least the same. Not really. I dunno, maybe something was out of wack (like crap gas) but there was nothing there AND I had it in sports mode....MY point is not about the 2.7 but about the 2.3... I can not imagine any world in which I would want the 2.3 in a Bronco with Sasquatch ( or possibly just any 4 door trim). This was a 2 door on 35s with the 2.7 and the power was sufficient but that was about it. It had good pull from a dead stop...but going say 40ish and then stomping on it... Eeh.

4) maybe not a big deal, but at one point I pulled over to pop the top off, At least the driver's side and went to go put it in the back of the two door.. couldn't really figure out how to fit it. I'm sure it would fit somehow but it was tight and I didn't want to scratch anything up so I put it back on.

Some good things....

1) this particular Bronco I looked at the sound deadening around the latches and it was impressive and was cut very well with rounded corners. Very little top was exposed. I would have taken a picture but in true Murphy fashion I forgot my phone.

2) this particular one was in velocity blue. I never thought about this color since it was late availability but it is metallic and gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to switch my color of choice to it, But I just think it might show scratches and dirt more than I would like (I'm going with Iconic for functionality and durability)

3) this Bronco had the cloth camouflaged seats and I absolutely love them. If you don't like a darker tan color I understand. But if you were one of the ones that freaked out over the camouflage dark middles, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I actually had to remind myself to look closely to tell that it was camouflaged.

4) it is big so I kind of like that feeling. The hood is large so it took a little bit of getting used to but I think in the long run, especially for those getting camera, think you'll be okay. Definitely not the kind of visibility I'm used to in my cars but then again this isn't a car.

well,

Its an honest review and I have heard the stereo sucks period, in these..and the b&o is not too much better. Dash pointed at your feet? i have sat in a few hundred now and i don't get that comment..? I am 6'1

Moya7

Base
First Name
Maureen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 BMW M240i, 2015 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Base

Some good things....

Iā€™ll race you in my m240i any day of the week. šŸ˜›
Sponsored