SwankyTiger

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha, the Excursion. That’s too big even for me. I like the Expedition and have given it some thought. One thing I have yet to work out is whether my vehicle absolutely has to fit in the garage. Obviously that was a concern with the Bronco. The Tundra fits (barely) so a pickup technically will work, but man it’s tight. I might have to get rid of some bicycles, yikes! We’re thinking about adding a bigger workshop to the garage, at which time it could be enlarged. Our house is about 45 years old and it originally had a carport, which is common in AZ. But somewhere along the line all the carports in our neighborhood got converted to garages and some of them are big enough to hold an Excursion. But whoever did our house must have been planning on smaller cars.
so you are saying you need a 200 series Land Cruiser/LX 570
Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because I had to see and test drive a Bronco before I placed an order, I am on the outside looking in. ( I am a mid August 2020 reservation, MY22 at best.) The dilemma produced by my test drive was now I am not so sure I will go with the two door. The four door WT was nice, and it was just a mid package. I will admit I am not a fan of the soft top though. Either model I opt for will be SAS .

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ahhh if only Ford designed this new Bronco to really perform! You know, like the old days, now those were real broncos! My 1990 had a 351 ci engine that whipped from 0-60mph in almost 11 seconds. And that horsepower? Whoa, 210! And really good miles per gallon-about 12.8! Sadly we now have to settle for this wimp that apparently can not "get off the line" according to a lot of folks that have test-driven it. Consider how bad the new numbers are: 2.7 liter engine (with muuuch better pollution control) only producing 330 horsepower; 17 mpg; and 0 to 60 in less time than the mid size V8. Take the doors off? Oh no, no, no can not do that! Take the roof off? Not a good idea. WAIT....WHAT!?????????????? I won't embarrass the whiners by citing the EB numbers. ;-)

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter.
Dang, son. How long has it been since you've driven an EB with a safari top? With either a soft top or bikini top, mine is so loud you can't hear the radio and you have to talk loud to be heard by the passenger. I can't imagine the new Bronco is that loud.

Sponsored

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ahhh if only Ford designed this new Bronco to really perform! You know, like the old days, now those were real broncos! My 1990 had a 351 ci engine that whipped from 0-60mph in almost 11 seconds. And that horsepower? Whoa, 210! And really good miles per gallon-about 12.8! Sadly we now have to settle for this wimp that apparently can not "get off the line" according to a lot of folks that have test-driven it. Consider how bad the new numbers are: 2.7 liter engine (with muuuch better pollution control) only producing 330 horsepower; 17 mpg; and 0 to 60 in less time than the mid size V8. Take the doors off? Oh no, no, no can not do that! Take the roof off? Not a good idea. WAIT....WHAT!?????????????? I won't embarrass the whiners by citing the EB numbers. ;-)
Some say a 90 is not a "real Bronco" either. :ROFLMAO:;) I think the start up power comments relate to new vehicles and not the EB. Most people aren't out there driving an EB, or any vintage vehicle for comparison.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This morning I test drove a WT at the dealer that I have a reservation at. Had an order but 99ed it to get a MY22. After this ~12 mile test drive, mostly freeway and city streets, I’m questioning whether I want to continue with a Bronco purchase. This coming from someone that owned Broncos from 1989 through 2017. There is nothing particularly wrong with the new Bronco. But driving it caused me to understand more clearly that Ford’s target was a better execution of a Jeep Wrangler. With the Bronco, they succeeded brilliantly at that. Maybe I’ll end up with a Bronco in 22 or 23, I’m just not as enthusiastic as I had been. Here are some test drive observations.

One thing I wanted to do was make sure a WT would fit in my garage. I had done all kinds of measurements using data from this site and for sure, the WT fit. That was not a surprise, but great to validate my research. My wife‘s car is missing, but it would easily fit too. No clearance problems either. Easily another 5.5-6 inches of overhead clearance.

When I first sat in the driver’s seat I was amazed at how much looking out the windshield reminded me of an EB. The raised edges of the hood are very reminiscent of an EB. Very thoughtful design feature from Ford.

One bad thing is the window fit. As everyone knows, without a frame the window must come down just a little to open and close the door. So long as you open the door slowly, all is well. But if you open the door quickly, the window hangs up a little on the molding and sort of vibrates back and forth. I seem to recall others here mention that. I’m not sure this hurts anything, it’s just not something I had thought much about.

Of course, this was a soft top. I was surprised at how noisy the Bronco is. I have seen posts claiming that the soft top was fairly quiet. I suppose this is subjective, but I thought the noise was excessive. Maybe the more aggressive tires were at fault. I have had two soft tops (see my avatar for one and an old P911-C4 for another) so I am used to a soft top. I honestly think my 74 EB with a BC Broncos safari top was slightly quieter. I mentioned this to the dealer sales manager and he said he was surprised because his soft top OB was really quiet. He claimed that the OB had sound deadening within the body. I had never heard that. Obviously I think a MIC top, particularly with the headliner, would quiet things down a little. I had planned on a color matching modular top which would also probably be quieter. By the way, the sales manager confirmed to me that the color matching top would be MY23, even though as recently as March it was listed at a MY22 option. Crap…

As has been opined by others on this site, the dash was a somewhat underwhelming. The plastic just seemed cheap. By the way, this was a Mid trim level, yet I don’t think Lux (which is what I ordered) would be any different. My personal car is a 2017 4Runner Limited and my work vehicle that gets most miles is a 2015 Tundra SR5. I would say the Tundra’s interior is pretty pedestrian, but the quality of the plastic and overall quality is noticeably better than the Bronco. The 4Runner interior is way superior. This is when I reminded myself that Ford wasn‘t trying to create something fancy, but just something overall better than a Wrangler. Again, I think they have done that in spades.

The engine was adequate. I have to admit that I drive with a bit of a heavy foot, but the Bronco seemed a bit slow off the line. From about 20 mph up, it performed very good. The transmission was smooth. I couldn’t feel the shifts. I was hoping the engine performance would be noticeably better than the 4Runner. I think it was better, but not by as much as I had hoped. Actually, I have to admit that I forgot to try the sport mode. That may have improved the engine performance a bit and I’m kicking myself for forgetting that.

I really did like the handling of the Bronco. It’s turning radius is superb. The SAS on the WT really smooths out rough pavements. I drove over a pavement that had been trenched and patched for a water line and it was smooth sailing over that bumpy pavement. I think this was the most favorable thing about the Bronco. The brakes were great, although there was an audible squeak at times.

In summary, I think the Bronco is a great execution of an off road vehicle for the masses. For sure it will take a big bite out of Wrangler sales. But for me I would give up a bit of the fancy off road stuff for a quieter, better fit and finish interior vehicle more like the 4Runner or some of the high end trucks on the market. My off roading needs are mostly rough forest service roads and snowy roads in AZ higher elevations. I guess I’m re-evaluating what I really need. This vehicle is my present to myself as I head into retirement. I still may end up with a Bronco. But I’m beginning to think I might need to give a nice F-150 or F-250 a look and build myself another EB to satisfy my almost life long Bronco addiction.

EBD3ECB7-8629-441B-8907-0A15C38CEC8D.jpeg

37815539-6C11-4AAE-87D3-EF8361EFC1B2.jpeg

FA321078-8DFD-4120-B7DC-6604B2CADC1D.jpeg
I appreciate your perspective. I have owned several Broncos and had them in my life on and off since Inwas a kid. I also owned an LJ that I loved, but could not live with on a daily basis. For me, my Bronco is awesome and I have loved everything about it, other than it’s off the line acceleration and poorly executed hard top (I have no doubt mine will end up replaced once there is an option). I got tired of my F150s size and wanted something that fit on the relatively tight trails found in and around my Midwest location. To each their own and I am glad you got to test drive prior to your order. We all have the option not to buy when it comes in, but knowing what you want saves some time and aggravation for sure! BTW, I considered restoring a 77-79, it was my favorite Bronco generation, but then you get all of the stuff I truly hated about my Jeep. Wandering drive of SFA, rattles like crazy, no matter how hard you try to eliminate them and 10-12 MPG. You do get the V8 soundtrack (I forgot, the 2.7 exhaust note is another “disappointment “, but I have had two others and I am used to it). Enjoy your 4 Runner!

fpGT350

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Viper RT/10; 09 AMG C63; 18 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
One thing this thread has done is to lower my expectations so much that it will be hard to get disappointed upon delivery (8/16 production week)

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am wondering if the "Sport" GOAT mode really plays a role in the acceleration. I have seen reviews where the bronco is 10 seconds 0-60 but when I test drove a BD SAS 2.7, there's no way it is that slow. When I put it in "Sport" mode it made a tremendous difference IMO. I am coming from my 5 speed 05 mustang GT so I am used to some speed/acceleration and the bronco was no slouch when I got on it.
Maybe, were you doing going from a stop?

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I think some folks want the image of the Bronco, but the reality of a regular SUV. Problem is Ford came through and made a real deal "Wrangler class" vehicle in the Bronco, not a generic SUV as are already available from various manufacturers.
I’m not sure that’s all of us. I have a new JLUR that I bought while I wait for the MOD top and I love it. I thought when I test drove the Bronco I would be blown away and I wasn’t. I think, and I know I will get flamed for this, but the JLUR has a better over all interior.

I also feel like Ford made the ride so nice that it takes away from some of the fun of driving an off-road vehicle. Don’t get me wrong, it drives incredibly well, but I just enjoy the JLUR more.

I have a caveat though. I have driven a 2019 JLUS and it was awful, interior, and road feel. That said, Jeep fixed some of the steering issues in 2021, and the rubicon trim is not standard across the board in the Jeep’s. So I can see why a lot of people are saying how much better it is than older, lower trim JLs, I just think it’s not quite as amazing when compared to a loaded out 2021 JLUR.

edit:

There are features in the Bronco that I still want over the Jeep. The badlands MGV and washout floors. I agree with the other posters who have said the very nature of the Bronco’s utilitarian interior make it more likely that I will use it without worry.

Ford Bronco Test Drive Causing Me to Re-evaluate F5B24D14-7328-4907-9658-5F26EF7D83BC

95467156-5526-4156-A843-4B1455106D79.jpeg

Last edited:

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Most of the discussion is around opinions and perceptions and we all have our biases. We all have different presences and sizes and shapes. For me, the wonky Jeep relationship to the steering wheel and inability to see stoplights from the tank slot windshield are problematic and the 4 Runner seat on the floor seating position are things I can’t live with in my daily driver. The Bronco seems to have nailed the seating position and sight lines relative to the competition in my case. Maybe the next gen 4 runner will update that issue? For now, the Bronco splits the difference and has a removable top (maybe disposable top?😢).

JMcBronco

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This thread is a very interesting read. I've read through all 9 pages (up to this point). Without a build date and some wishful thinking on getting my Bronco in calendar year 2021, I have started to evaluate what I really want and the other options out there. For the same price as my Badlands, Sasquatch 2.7L High package + MIC top and towing, I can get a Lexus GX 460 with all the luxury and really good (not the best) off-roading capability being a body on frame 4x4 with a V8. For me, this would split the difference between luxury and off-roading and honestly will suit my needs just fine. BUT, the GX as well as the 4-Runner, is in it's 11th year and in serious need of a refresh which at this point won't be until 2023-24 model year. The 2022 GX will finally get Apple Car Play but not sure that's going to be enough to abandon my Bronco dream for the last 3 years. Either way, I'll still have a lot of time to ponder. Great comments all.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks