Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

Pilot321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Retro Styling/Looks
Better on road handling than Wrangler
Equal or better Off Road capabilities than Wrangler
Two door availability (Wrangler too focused on four door, 4Runner not offered in two door)
Manual Transmission
Ease of Door and Top removal
Possibly better build quality
Sponsored

F150rubyred

Black Diamond
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2013 Lexus GX460, 2014 Mustang GT,
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It is a ā€˜17 5.3L 4x4 4 door Z71 that my work provided me, if it werenā€™t for the Mexican build quality and likely 3.27 gearing it probably wouldnā€™t be a bad truck to spend my own money on. Granted at that point the 6.2L gets only marginally worse real world so thatā€™s likely where I would go.
I have friends with the 6.2 and although I like the power it does not do well on MPG at all. These guys getting 14-15 mpg on real world driving. My dads 5.3 is about 16 mpg average he lives in small rural town and easy driving too.

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R || 2019 Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have friends with the 6.2 and although I like the power it does not do well on MPG at all. These guys getting 14-15 mpg on real world driving. My dads 5.3 is about 16 mpg average he lives in small rural town and easy driving too.
Imagine a Jeep Wrangler with a 6.4L lol lol lol...anyway, please don't respond, I don't wanna get on that topic haha. I feel my negativity has increased due to my arguing over in the jlwrangler forums. haha

R

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's actually shocking how many of them just "accept" all these issues...and they've somehow convinced themselves that if Jeep were to fix the issues (or reliability) it would somehow affect the off-road capabilities, therefore they're fine with the compromise...lol, wtf.

Crazies. Unbelievable. And you're right, the moment you have an opposing opinion someone WILL jump on you to take you down for even suggesting the Jeep has problems. If you don't like the Jeep "properties" and "driving characteristics" the Jeep is not for you...forgive me for wanting the car to steer where I point it. haha

Anyway, I feel this Jeep vs Bronco, just gets me riled up. Not because of the vehicles but because of the naive community. I should say, some admit the deficiencies and have suggestions on how to fix, and these guys are the helpful ones.

Anyway, rant done...

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I currently drive an xterra pro4x w/ lift/armor etc. I need a vehicle that I can daily drive comfortably, and have plenty of room for camping/offroading supplies and the Jeep does not fit that bill. The 4runner does and would be a good alternative to my current vehicle but it needs an model update to be worth it for me. The Bronco (or new Defender) would be a good upgrade to get into a more modern vehicle.

Sponsored

Staticclism

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
230k mile 1996 Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nothing else really looks compelling. I grew up all over the mountains in F-150s, and not too long after high school took a lightly modified Audi A4 to the top of multiple different mountains via disused old Forest Service roads which I loved (both despite and partially due to the car not being designed for that kind of abuse!). For the longest time I fought against the 300-6s that my dad liked in his F-150s loudly arguing "but V8 = better" and he'd never hear it. After a few years and vehicles I've since entirely "grown out" of loud obnoxious exhausts and actually really enjoyed the brief stint I had with a full-electric BMW i3 a couple years ago. I had originally planned on going with a Tesla Cybertruck as it appears so far to be quite capable and still full electric (and - unpopular opinion here - I think it looks fantastic), but after the Bronco reveal I've since cancelled that reservation. The Cybertruck is going to be much bigger than I'd need, and will be considerably more expensive. Even going up to a Badlands Bronco with options won't equal out to as much as a "bare bones" Cybertruck dual motor. My biggest conundrum so far is between my love of a manual transmission and how much I loved driving electric; my heart says 7-speed but my head says to wait and see what the hybrid Bronco (HyBronco? Broncobrid?) is going to look like capability and price-wise. Heavily leaning towards trying to build up as basic / inexpensive of a 2-door, manual Bronco as I can get, despite really wanting adaptive cruise, waterproof interior, and lockers. Too many choices!

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
What year? LT based engines have seen a significant improvement in economy over LS based

Eds-FB

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ForesterSport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Lol, oh my. Iā€™m over on the jlwranglerforums as well (because I actually have a rubi on order) ...all they say is the steering MUST BE SHIT TO MAKE IT A GOOD OFF-ROAD VEHICLE!! Itā€™s A JEEP THING DAMMIT. Lol, shit, the more I read about their ā€œacceptance of all the deficiencies of the Wrangler (for practically everything OTHER than off-road) makes me want my Bronco more.

With my responses to some of the comments over there Iā€™ll probably be banned soon lol. Anyway, donā€™t really care cause Iā€™m like 98% sure Iā€™m going with the Bronco!!!

R
Exactly why I got rid of my 2019 JL , the steering on long trips to wheel it would wear me out the wife refused to drive it also the dealers were no help and I to heard the its a jeep thing ,really thats BS . sorry for the rant but I'm still upset and cant wait to order the Bronco . Thank you Ford for IFS ,,,Ed

Last edited:

Pilot321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Exactly why I got rid of my 2019 JL , the steering on long trips to wheel it would ware me out the wife refused to drive it and the dealers were no help and I to heard the its a jeep thing ,really thats BS . sorry for the rant but I'm still upset and cant wait to order the Bronco . Thank you Ford for IFS ,,,Ed
Is that the wandering steering I have heard on the JL? My TJ doesn't exhibit that, but I have heard that is a flaw with the JL. If the Bronco hadn't materialized, I'd be looking for a later JK Wrangler, but this Bronco is a game changer.

Sponsored

Eds-FB

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ForesterSport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is that the wandering steering I have heard on the JL? My TJ doesn't exhibit that, but I have heard that is a flaw with the JL. If the Bronco hadn't materialized, I'd be looking for a later JK Wrangler, but this Bronco is a game changer.
Yes to the steering , I just test drove 3 2020's while in NC last week and all 3 steered with different amounts of the dead spot in the steering which in turn means they all wondered , love Jeeps but the wife and I refuse to Spend 40k just to own a Jeep it has to also preform on road trips... hope this helps...

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I hate Jeeps, so that eliminates the Wrangler straight away. Just never liked the look, or the way people mod them.

Toyota overpriced the 4Runner so badly you can't even get into a new one for less than $40k, and depreciation makes so a decently low/mid mileage one is the same price as a new base Bronco. Plus 4x4 is an option on a 4Runner.

For me, the Bronco gives me the same vibe as my 2013 Mustang GT. I get the same kind of excitement looking at the pictures of the new Bronco as I did looking at my Mustang. Broncos powertrain options also sound like the best mix of power and economy on the market currently, along with the fact Sync4 and Apple Carplay are standard on the base now.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Been waiting for comparisons to the 4runner, everything I see only says it will compete with the Jeep.

I owned a TRD Pro 4Runner years back, sold it for various reasons. Why I didnā€™t love that car and think I want this one?
- engine (4runner is so slow)
- interior finish ( 45k for top of line 4runner doesnā€™t get you much amenities)
- Gas mileage (not expecting anything crazy, but I was getting 16 in the 4runner and it was soo slow)

I will probably will never take the roof off, so would like to see a solid roof to reduce noise, but I get why itā€™s not an option. Due to this, and obvious quality concerns, I will never own a FCA vehicle.
Not to mention for those of us that are tall (6'4") and not rail thin (220 Pounds(Not fat, but I am not a little person)) the Toyotas do not fit so well. I use to own one and I always felt like a giraffe in a shoebox.

rcbickle

First Edition
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 FX4, BMW M550i, BMW Z4, Mini Cooper, Bronco First Edition Reservation
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This will be my fourth Ford. All have been four-wheel drives. They have always been reliable, well designed, and got the job done on and off the road. Add iconic, retro styling, off-road tech, on-road comfort for the wife and I am sold. When I look at Jeeps, they are not bad lookers, but all of my friends have had problems with their Jeeps as they aged. When I lived in the Northeast, a lot of corrosion problems. Also, where is Jeep innovation? Seems like they just are milking an old cow. The Toyotas are nice, and I owned a four-wheel-drive truck from them, but are not as well-styled, not as nice in the interior, have narrower seating and lack some of the old school coolness (Land Cruisers being the exception). If Toyota does a retro Land Cruiser, then they might give the Bronco some competition. So, this is best in show for now!

CanadianHorseMan

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For me, the Bronco gives me the same vibe as my 2013 Mustang GT. I get the same kind of excitement looking at the pictures of the new Bronco as I did looking at my Mustang. Broncos powertrain options also sound like the best mix of power and economy on the market currently, along with the fact Sync4 and Apple Carplay are standard on the base now.
yes, I definitely agree with this. I dunno if itā€™s as high of an excitement level as when I was specā€™ing out my GT350R but I am excited and itā€™s becUse they did such a great job and itā€™s a fresh new, CAPABLE design!
Sponsored