Sponsored

Why are you choosing the Bronco over competitors like 4Runner and Wrangler?

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I have a Taco but have always wanted the flexibility of a Jeep (size/SWB/roof and doors). The 4Runner was never a consideration because, quite frankly, it's too much for the trim level I want and I've heard the newer gen is a bit of a dog.
Sponsored

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have a Taco but have always wanted the flexibility of a Jeep (size/SWB/roof and doors). The 4Runner was never a consideration because, quite frankly, it's too much for the trim level I want and I've heard the newer gen is a bit of a dog.
The 5th gen is a dog.... but so is a new gen Taco...

I have test drove a 5th gen probably 5 times in the past few years and was never convinced to “upgrade” from my 08.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 5th gen is a dog.... but so is a new gen Taco...

I have test drove a 5th gen probably 5 times in the past few years and was never convinced to “upgrade” from my 08.
My Taco is just fine, but it's definitely not as punchy as the last gen. My understanding is the latest gen 4R is a pretty steep drop and the 4.0 is just bad bad.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Taco is just fine, but it's definitely not as punchy as the last gen. My understanding is the latest gen 4R is a pretty steep drop and the 4.0 is just bad bad.
The 4.0 likes to rev, at about 3,800 it takes off like a scalded dog, below that you have to give it throttle, I feel that a lot of issues with the 4Runners power could be corrected if they changed the throttle mapping. That’s not to say it’s fast, the 4.7L V8 from the last generation, despite having similar output numbers runs like a totally different beast, it feels amazing with only the slightest throttle inputs.

But of course the reason it is what it is, is for fuel economy numbers.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 0-60 of the Tacoma and 4Runner are close to identical fwiw. About 7.5s.

Sponsored

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 4.0 likes to rev, at about 3,800 it takes off like a scalded dog, below that you have to give it throttle, I feel that a lot of issues with the 4Runners power could be corrected if they changed the throttle mapping. That’s not to say it’s fast, the 4.7L V8 from the last generation, despite having similar output numbers runs like a totally different beast, it feels amazing with only the slightest throttle inputs.

But of course the reason it is what it is, is for fuel economy numbers.
I have never driven it with one but I read you need a “throttle commander” as the drive by wire gas pedal isnt linear from the factory.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
4 runner is just another SUV, with a worse ride. It looks and feels like every other SUV on the road, leave it to toyota to make an enthusiast vehicle still feel like an appliance.

wrangler, the ride quality on it is just too rough, and honestly... I guess I feel like I missed the boat. the wrangler feels a bit too clicky for my, like you have to join some secret fraternity when you buy one. bronco feels fresh, like Im in on the ground floor of something rather than jumping onto a bandwagon. yes I know broncos been around before, but its still new.
You do realize that at the moment the 4Runner, GX, and Wrangler are the only proper SUVs even being made? BOF, solid rear. Until the Bronco comes they essentially have the non-Wrangler market to themselves.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have never driven it with one but I read you need a “throttle commander” as the drive by wire gas pedal isnt linear from the factory.
I haven’t read about that, only going off my own experience but I 100% believe it.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 0-60 of the Tacoma and 4Runner are close to identical fwiw. About 7.5s.
I'm not really talking about street performance here, but everything I've read indicates the 4.0 is just not as great as the 3.5 (while the 3.5 introduces new wrinkles/issues).

Plus, no stick, so you're beholden to Toyota's famously awful automatics.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm not really talking about street performance here, but everything I've read indicates the 4.0 is just not as great as the 3.5 (while the 3.5 introduces new wrinkles/issues).

Plus, no stick, so you're beholden to Toyota's famously awful automatics.
I’ve read the exact opposite, so much so I have seen people trading in newer 3.5s for the old 4.0 tacos.

The 3.5 powerband is unusable and even has less overall torque than the 4.0L.

If your reading Journalist articles, then yea they always say the newest is the latest and greatest and get that sweet manufacturer kick back. If you look at real world people trying them back to back I doubt you will find anyone praising the 3.5L in the same sentence as the 4.0L.

Sponsored

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve read the exact opposite, so much so I have seen people trading in newer 3.5s for the old 4.0 tacos.

Doesn't mirror any of the actual experiences I've had or seen, although the third gen is a bit of a meme over on TW. IIRC, it has 1 less lb. ft. of torque and like 20 more HP?

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If your reading Journalist articles, then yea they always say the newest is the latest and greatest and get that sweet manufacturer kick back. If you look at real world people trying them back to back I doubt you will find anyone praising the 3.5L in the same sentence as the 4.0L.
im not an big time offroader so my opinion likely doesnt apply to him but I own a 3.5 and a 4.0. Ill take the 4.0 every day. I find it much smoother.

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm talking from personal experience as I own and wheel a 3.5 lol

bbq4133

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
im not an big time offroader so my opinion likely doesnt apply to him but I own a 3.5 and a 4.0. Ill take the 4.0 every day. I find it much smoother.
Is it an auto? Everything I've read about the autos from Toyota leads me to believe they're heinous, especially the newer ones. My 6MT has been bulletproof.

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it an auto? Everything I've read about the autos from Toyota leads me to believe they're heinous, especially the newer ones. My 6MT has been bulletproof.
They are both autos. 5spd in the 4runner and 8spd in the Highlander.

I have had no problems with either transmission and both behave well.
Sponsored