Base Sound System Upgrade/Build

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Consensus of the people that have done it is that absolutely, new speakers will be a very noticeable improvement. For $80/pair upgrading the 4" front dash seems like a no brainer. Common mid level choices are Kicker CS, JBL Club, Polk DB, JL C-1 and Infinity REF series. I bought some Polk's simply because they are marine rated and get good reviews.

I might be answering a question with a question but some more experienced people can verify. With only the stock head unit, I read that you should expect more volume and bass from lower impedance speakers like 2.5ohm Infinity Kappas or 3ohm JBL Club. There is a chance of "clipping" at high volume but unverified if it happens on the Bronco.
Most amps can easily handle the impedance drop from 4 to 3 ohms. Even 2 ohms is usually doable... When choosing the 4", the tone is important, but so is the efficiency and impedance. A good balance of those 3 will likely give the best result. I wouldn't put anything below 92db on my list of options and would put 3 ohm or less as a requirement. Then pick the tone I liked best from those options.
Sponsored

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jeez .... at 19 my dad gave me his Manual BMW 2002TI and out of the 4 gear transmission the 3rd gear never worked
Never mind have you seen how much bmw 2002 are going. For.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Changman927

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
FINALLY, someone talking about this!! I have upgraded my previous two vehicles audio systems & plan to do the same with my BaseBase Bronco.

I plan on doing all Rockford fosgates or maybe B2 audio (probably) & like the OP I will need to measure to make sure what will fit. Hopefully since I have a later order (Aug 1st) others will have figured this out & posted on it.

I have thought about kick panels as well, but mine is a 2 door so I may be able to just upgrade the rear pods & be good with it.

No sub for this vehicle as I want to utilize storage space better, unlike my current fusion that has a 15" sub filling the entire trunk space.
Would you be willing to post pics and info when you do it? I don’t know much about audio, and would love to have decent sound coming out of my bronco

Southside_Ray

Base
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Would you be willing to post pics and info when you do it? I don’t know much about audio, and would love to have decent sound coming out of my bronco
I would love to do that. It may be awhile though... Gotta get my Bronco first lol

Sponsored

Colorado buff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner 2000, Mini Cooper convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

jay102269

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MachE GTPE, Big Bend, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So after many countless hours I was able to complete the install on my son's Big Bend. I'm using a 5 channel Soundstream amp that fits perfectly under the driver's seat. It's still loose since we are fine tuning some of the gains and x-over freqs. I'm blocking the under seat vents and will mount it directly behind the vent. I replaced the fronts with Polks and am using JBL Soundbar for the rears. The 10" Bazooka is a carry over until the aftermarket comes up with a built in enclosure. It was tough trying to splice in all the wires under the ACM. There isn't much room and only a few inches of wire to work with. Gotta have some patience with that part of the install. Thanks to all the good people who have posted on this thread and made everything easier.

IMG_3043.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

IMG_3045.JPG

FATHORSE

Big Bend
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nissan
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So after many countless hours I was able to complete the install on my son's Big Bend. I'm using a 5 channel Soundstream amp that fits perfectly under the driver's seat. It's still loose since we are fine tuning some of the gains and x-over freqs. I'm blocking the under seat vents and will mount it directly behind the vent. I replaced the fronts with Polks and am using JBL Soundbar for the rears. The 10" Bazooka is a carry over until the aftermarket comes up with a built in enclosure. It was tough trying to splice in all the wires under the ACM. There isn't much room and only a few inches of wire to work with. Gotta have some patience with that part of the install. Thanks to all the good people who have posted on this thread and made everything easier.

Ford Bronco Base Sound System Upgrade/Build IMG_3045.JPG

That looks like fun.

BadBroncoJ

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anybody speak to the amount of bass roll off with the standard system? My F-150 was pretty terrible. So bad that I really regretted using the line output converter to get signal to my sub amp. The sub sounded amazing at low volume (Soundstream Reference amp and JL sub) but as soon as you turned it up the low end just faded away.. Gone are the days of swapping out head units and the factory doesn't give us RCA outputs, so I don't really know how to avoid this unless it can be reprogrammed. Or what I'm really hoping is that they just gave us full sound to work with.

evilletruck

Black Diamond
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like the remote in wire is not connected does the amp have power on with low level line input,? Trying to find a good 12v power on ignition to tap into but have not come across one yet.

Sponsored

jay102269

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Looks like the remote in wire is not connected does the amp have power on with low level line input,? Trying to find a good 12v power on ignition to tap into but have not come across one yet.

I'm using the high level outputs from the ACM. The amp detects the high level signal and turns on.
I was prepared to tap into the fuse panel but fortunate that I was able to avoid that.

jay102269

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
All the stock wires are 18 Ga. ..... did you change the Ga. on any wires? what did you use for power and ground wires to the Amp?
I used this from Crutchfield: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007CSW9W20/Crutchfield-CSW9W-20.html
It was a lifesaver. I cut the 20' cable in half. Was able to run a single flexible cable from the ACM to the amp under the seat for the high level inputs. Then I used the other 10' to run from the amp's speaker terminals back to the same spot under the ACM and spliced back into the OEM speaker wires. Just becareful and take your time. Not much room and very little of the OEM wire to work with.

I used some exisitng 8 ga. wire that I had to run from the battery thru the firewall. The ground was easy. Since the amp was under the seat I used the seat mounting bolt for the ground. It needed less that a foot of cable and the bolt went all the way to through the body of the vehicle.

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I can't report on quality or results yet (since I *just* ordered it), but I went the "low budget" route using Crutchfield's house brand "sound ordnance" for my 4 door Badlands:

Sound Ordnance B-8PTD

Sound Ordnance™ P-65B

Sound Ordnance™ P-40B

Threw in a 10 ga wiring kit and some metra harnesses as per this post and it was all less than $500 CAD w/ tax

Will report back once I get it installed.

*edit* Shipped today, so hopefully the wait won't be that long... the stock speakers on my BL "base" really do stink!
Sponsored

Last edited: