Sponsored

Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ?

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We've all seen multiple posts and discussion on the inability to put a roof rack on a Sasquatch package . They're pretty clear that it has to do with weight capacity , but it may mostly be the tires!?

So, if you look at pg. 12 of the Bronco Equipment Installation Guide, theres a table on Roof Rack

Load Capacity:
In motion: 110lbs
Stationary: 450lb
315/70R17 tires: 0

An Explanation: If you look at the specs on those Goodyear Territory tires, you'll see that they are the softer "C" rated tires, with weight capacity of a measly 2535 pounds! Thats weak for a loaded vehicle, same as the stock OBX tires. But that explains the capacity issue, ITS THE TIRES! A fix would be to upgrade to an E rated tire, get a rack, and move on. Im guessing that the suspension components are pretty beefy, the tires seem like the weak link in the design chain. E rated tires are heavier, and a harsher ride.

Clearly Ford wants its Sasquatch to be comfortable, and this may be part of the design compromises on a vehicle with 35" tires (actually, Theyre 34.4" tires) extra machinery, armor plating, and soft tires . . . When theres the extra weight of 4 doors, 2.7 engine, auto trans

Any thoughts?

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? SmartSelect_20211016-093314_Drive

Ford Bronco Roof Rack unavailable on Sasquatch because of factory tire's weight capacity ? SmartSelect_20211016-093912_Chrome
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting... as I have a sasquatch coming and would really like a roof rack one day. Arent the 2021s not setup to even take one? Does anyone know if there are any good aftermarket solutions coming out for this or being worked on?

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Constraint isn't the Sasquatch package now, it's the 2.7L engine.

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty good observation!

Sponsored

cigartexan

First Edition
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 F100 SS - 2012 F-350 SD - 2021 4D Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting... as I have a sasquatch coming and would really like a roof rack one day. Arent the 2021s not setup to even take one? Does anyone know if there are any good aftermarket solutions coming out for this or being worked on?
All of the 2021 Broncos are ready to go for a roof rack out of the box as long as you get the hard top. But the Bronco is HEAVY, and on the upper trims you are running into the weight limits.

This is why the 2022 model options often make you choose really odd choices at times that seem like they shouldn't be related. Like if you get the slide-out tailgate on some of the trims, you cannot option in the skid plates... on the surface it doesn't make sense because why would something on the exterior of the vehicle impact the interior? Or on the Badlands trim, you can get the roof rails if you are getting the 2.3L engine, but once you get the bigger & heavier 2.7L, you can no longer get it. Why does the bigger engine suddenly make it impossible to get roof rails??

But... It's all due to weight. That's also a big reason why the tow rating is so low on the Bronco compared to other vehicles in Ford's lineup. Overall the Bronco was really designed with off-roading in mind, not carrying loads. If you do want to carry loads... Big Bend and (to a lesser extent) Black Diamond is where it is at.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Makes perfect sense to me...
But if the OBX tires have the same weight rating, it must be the Goodyear tires additional weight themselves (as well as Squatch stuff) also adding to the problem. Lol
An overloaded tire, possible under inflation and 85Mph highway speeds is a disaster weighting to happen!

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All of the 2021 Broncos are ready to go for a roof rack out of the box as long as you get the hard top. But the Bronco is HEAVY, and on the upper trims you are running into the weight limits.

This is why the 2022 model options often make you choose really odd choices at times that seem like they shouldn't be related. Like if you get the slide-out tailgate on some of the trims, you cannot option in the skid plates... on the surface it doesn't make sense because why would something on the exterior of the vehicle impact the interior? Or on the Badlands trim, you can get the roof rails if you are getting the 2.3L engine, but once you get the bigger & heavier 2.7L, you can no longer get it. Why does the bigger engine suddenly make it impossible to get roof rails??

But... It's all due to weight. That's also a big reason why the tow rating is so low on the Bronco compared to other vehicles in Ford's lineup. Overall the Bronco was really designed with off-roading in mind, not carrying loads. If you do want to carry loads... Big Bend and (to a lesser extent) Black Diamond is where it is at.
That's right, thanks for the reminder on the hardtop driving that and I was getting the rest of it mixed up too. Yes when I built a 22 for fun it seemed even more confusing and restrictive. My build is loaded with about all the options except tow package and hardtop. But one day I wouldn't mind getting a roof rack - light loads only. I also like the look of it. Thus, do you know if there will be options coming out for soft top Broncos?

CookinWithGas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Farm trucks
Your Bronco Model
Base

Sponsored

LHD

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurais, Corvairs, 914-6, TT, F350 SD
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it could be attributed to total height. Most new vehicles are designed to fit under a standard 7’ garage door and most doors hang lower than that when open. Add the 4” rack to a Sasquatch and see if that fits. They may need to make a low profile rack for the Sasquatch fitment.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's right, thanks for the reminder on the hardtop driving that and I was getting the rest of it mixed up too. Yes when I built a 22 for fun it seemed even more confusing and restrictive. My build is loaded with about all the options except tow package and hardtop. But one day I wouldn't mind getting a roof rack - light loads only. I also like the look of it. Thus, do you know if there will be options coming out for soft top Broncos?
I would be shocked if Ford offered an OEM roof rack with the soft top. For the factory hard top, the front support is the A-pillar (top of windshield) which obviously every Bronco has, but the rear support is the hard top itself.

The aftermarket will probably come out with something, but not sure what they'll do to support the rear. Maybe someone will come out with a special soft top mod that allows you to connect a roof rack to the C-pillar. But my guess is it'll be something similar to what this guy did to his Jeep.

CookinWithGas

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Farm trucks
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would be shocked if Ford offered an OEM roof rack with the soft top. For the factory hard top, the front support is the A-pillar (top of windshield) which obviously every Bronco has, but the rear support is the hard top itself.

The aftermarket will probably come out with something, but not sure what they'll do to support the rear. Maybe someone will come out with a special soft top mod that allows you to connect a roof rack to the C-pillar. But my guess is it'll be something similar to what this guy did to his Jeep.
I am sure it would be pricy, but a cage would be pretty great in my opinion.

OP
OP
lakesinai

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I am sure it would be pricy, but a cage would be pretty great in my opinion.
My ideal would be a 4dr that keeps the rear cap on, and has a soft top for the three removable panels, over both seat rows. Then, a small rack cage on top of the rear cap, like the OBX concept vehicle, with a larger front soft top

SmartSelect_20211016-115157_Google.jpg

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think it could be attributed to total height. Most new vehicles are designed to fit under a standard 7’ garage door and most doors hang lower than that when open. Add the 4” rack to a Sasquatch and see if that fits. They may need to make a low profile rack for the Sasquatch fitment.
Nope-it fits. My 7’ door has 80 1/2” clear opening between the 1” raised slab lip and the door weatherstripping. Clears by about 3”
Sponsored