Sponsored

Full-Size or Mid-size for the New Bronco?

2021 Bronco: Full-Size or Mid-Size?

• I want mine Full-sized, based on the F-150 - similar to the '78-'96 models.

• Give me something Mid-Sized, closer in size to the next-gen Ranger.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
As I've stated, there is already so much misinformation around the Bronco the last thing we want is even more. Ford has been VERY clear that it is a midsize vehicle and not full size, they have not confirmed the front suspension.
Sponsored

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ford has been very clear there is an escape based bronco and a next gen ranger bronco.
They have also said the Bronco will be a line of vehicles. Ford struck gold with the raptor and with the out of control market for the old broncos, Ford could make a top of the line limited production retro looking FSB 2 door convertible using the current raptor drive train and charge $75k for it. Just like the raptor, they can create something so badass it doesn’t compete head to head with anything. Like I said, it’s wishful thinking and I may be dreaming but Ford can do it and has been releasing vehicles nobody saw coming.
All 3 would be targeted perfectly at their customer. Escape bronco for the folks that live in nasty weather and cross shop Subaru’s and renegades. Ranger bronco for the die hard trail guys, and those that hate full size vehicles. FSB for the wow factor, get people in the dealer and folks like me that are in the SouthWest with year round sunshine, vast expanses of desert to let the horsepower run, camping adventures and the car line at the kids school

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The one Bronco mule we’ve seen has been confirmed as a powertrain mule, nothing about the suspension was finalized. The final suspension design likely will not be seen until the reveal.

We know for a fact that the full size bronco IS NOT happening.
While I agree that we’ll see a baby bronco, then a midsize bronco, how do we know that there won’t be a full size bronco?

Disregard what your “source?” and all the online publications say and think for yourself. The raptor mule with the 5.5’ bed makes zero sense except as a full size bronco. Why would ford bother to chop a foot off the frame just to test a suspension or powertrain? Why would ford even think about a high dollar regular cab truck when the crew cab raptor already destroys the super cab version in sales? If they were to build a regular cab special edition why wouldn’t they just use an existing wheelbase?

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
While I agree that we’ll see a baby bronco, then a midsize bronco, how do we know that there won’t be a full size bronco?

Disregard what your “source?” and all the online publications say and think for yourself. The raptor mule with the 5.5’ bed makes zero sense except as a full size bronco. Why would ford bother to chop a foot off the frame just to test a suspension or powertrain? Why would ford even think about a high dollar regular cab truck when the crew cab raptor already destroys the super cab version in sales? If they were to build a regular cab special edition why wouldn’t they just use an existing wheelbase?
I have a source at Ford that will at least confirm or deny major things, like if a prototype is a Bronco or not. When I asked him about the F-150 mule he confirmed that it was an F-150 “tremor” that may possibly happen and not a Bronco. You can check my post history I posted that before this article, which reconfirms what he told me.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/07/ford-considering-tremor-package-f-150-pickup/

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have a source at Ford that will at least confirm or deny major things, like if a prototype is a Bronco or not. When I asked him about the F-150 mule he confirmed that it was an F-150 “tremor” that may possibly happen and not a Bronco. You can check my post history I posted that before this article, which reconfirms what he told me.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/07/ford-considering-tremor-package-f-150-pickup/
That article doesn’t make any sense to me for the mule being tested. Not saying Ford isn’t considering a tremor for the F150 but If they’re testing a half ass raptor why would they use a raptor. The tremor would not be a model above the raptor. Ford could make a short wheel base “lightning” raptor with the new GT500 motor but I see them building a FSB before that happens.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
That article doesn’t make any sense to me for the mule being tested. Not saying Ford isn’t considering a tremor for the F150 but If they’re testing a half ass raptor why would they use a raptor. The tremor would not be a model above the raptor. Ford could make a short wheel base “lightning” raptor with the new GT500 motor but I see them building a FSB before that happens.
Because they like messing with us. If that isn't clear at this point then I don't know what is.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If by messing with us you mean deny deny deny. And then at the unveiling of the 2 broncos the FSB rolls out on stage, then Yes I agree.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
If by messing with us you mean deny deny deny. And then at the unveiling of the 2 broncos the FSB rolls out on stage, then Yes I agree.
They haven't even denied it, they basically won't say anything about the Bronco other than "we will not comment on future products." FSB is not happening so if you want one I'd start checking craigslist. OR just get a supercab raptor with a sunroof and put a camper shell on it. Boom there's 90% of a FSB.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I believe that as much as I believe them testing a chopped raptor for a lower level model offering.

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
There's obviously a market for an FSB, the question is does Ford see it as large/profitable enough? Like I've said previously, it would be relatively simple engineering to Bronco-ize an F150/Raptor. Unique cosmetics are equally uncomplicated.

Sponsored

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
@Nickp, I know the FSB isn't happening but IMHO it makes really good sense to offer the FSB simply as the non-SFA optioned, larger/roomier, all around Bronco while the smaller Ranger based Bronco (hopefully SFA equipped) can go directly head to head with the Jeep Wrangler so as to go places that normally only small 4X4s like the Jeep can get to...rock crawling narrow paths with short and sharp turns etc, again JMHO but I think that's just not enough of a financial case for Ford...sadly.

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
@Nickp, I know the FSB isn't happening but IMHO it makes really good sense to offer the FSB simply as the non-SFA optioned, larger/roomier, all around Bronco while the smaller Ranger based Bronco (hopefully SFA equipped) can go directly head to head with the Jeep Wrangler so as to go places that normally only small 4X4s like the Jeep can get to...rock crawling narrow paths with short and sharp turns etc, again JMHO but I think that's just not enough of a financial case for Ford...sadly.
Not Ranger-based. The Ranger will be Bronco-based. :)

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
There's obviously a market for an FSB, the question is does Ford see it as large/profitable enough? Like I've said previously, it would be relatively simple engineering to Bronco-ize an F150/Raptor. Unique cosmetics are equally uncomplicated.
If building something worthy of the Bronco name was so simple Ford wouldn’t have taken 5 years to design and build the one we’re getting.

OP
OP

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If building something worthy of the Bronco name was so simple Ford wouldn’t have taken 5 years to design and build the one we’re getting.
You're trying to ascribe logic to the thought process of an American automaker.

And that argument doesn't follow. Broncos WERE F150s for the majority of their production run. It isn't an impossibility to have two vehicles concurrently under the same moniker, again done by Ford with the Bronco nameplate previously. Fill more than one market space with the same badge - is that some sort of heresy? If so, there's precedent.

Would it be more comfortable for mid-size Bronco fans if Ford marketed an F150 SUV derivitave (or any other larger-sized offroad-capable SUV) under some other name? Me, I'm not that sensitive.

And while I'm hopeful, there is ZERO evidence that "the one we're getting" is "worthy of the Bronco name". I've had a lot of early Broncos, and those are big shoes to fill. It's not unimaginable that it could have taken Ford five years to design and build a complete poser.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This I can disagree with you on some, the concept to production can run that long or longer, especially these days. at least when you are putting it on a new frame, integrating some unused tech, all of which needs to be independently tested, then tested together.

There are, hopefully, a lot of things being put into this model that are not currently offered by Ford, that is 'new' or 'innovative' as far as their testing department is concerned.
The short wheel base with higher CoG.
Removeable/stow-able top and doors
Hopefully a SFA (I know the super duties have them, but Ford hasn't run a D44 SFA in what, 40 years?)
New frame, this requires EXTENSIVE design and testing, especially when it has to be somewhat modular to fit multiple platforms, globally.
hopefully increased rear suspension travel designs

Throw all this in with the fact that we found out about this upcoming model likely years ahead of when Ford would likely have wanted it known. Most vehicles by the time you hear about them have been under works for years already, and that this is likely not the case here, this thing may have not left the concept table for long when we heard about it, so still years ahead of it being to the point where they start running road tests.

It's not like 50 years ago where they could whip up a new model in .5-1.5 years, and do slight design changes yearly and major changes every 2-3 years on all their models. Now ever single change needs to be certified, aero tested, safety tested, fail tested, it ridiculous the amount of testing even minor body line changes or interior changes have to go through on a modern vehicle (But then again, you can have a 500 hp muscle car that gets 20mpg and will last for a couple hundred thousand miles and you'll most likely live through a major accident, as compared to old muscle cars getting single digit mpg and needing engine and suspension adjustments every 2 oil changes and an entire rebuild every 75k miles, and the car may survive a wreck, but the driver won't.)
Sponsored