Sponsored

⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back?

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Unless I'm mistaken (happens often!), Bestop doesn't offer a soft top for the JL Wrangler 2 door that folds all the way down to the rear, like the 4 door models are capable of. I presume that's due to a lack of space in the rear on 2 doors vehicles.

So I'm afraid it's not possible. And after having a soft top on a 4 door JL which folds all the way down and back, I don't miss it blocking my view in the rear view mirror! So I'm OK with it sitting on top.
I honestly wouldn’t care if it were made by bestop or not but I want an option that folds all the way back. I mean I’ve seen it on two door jeeps before….it can’t be impossible….I hope it’s not anyway haha
Sponsored

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well that’s not too bad considering how long it took to assemble. So to clarify did you lift the brackets off with the top also attached to them? Or separate the top from the brackets and then remove the brackets?
[/QUOTE i separated the top then removed brackets from bronco frame

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just installed my 2dr Trektop yesterday.. took about 4-5 hours, but I too watched the video 3-4 times, paused it, test fit, etc. I figure it should take about an hour the next time around.

Some observations:
  • Bestop really should have included some rubber gaskets for where the metal brackets meet the roll bar paint. I used some of the leftover plastic dots, and some weather stripping, but I plan to get some ppf sheets the next time this thing comes off and then back on
  • The torx bolts kinda suck. Especially when you're mounting connecting rails that might be a little off. Yes, you need to re-loosen the brackets attached to the cage, but it really sucks trying not to strip out a torx head bolt when driving upside down into a bracket that isn't lined up properly. I had to chase a few treads on the nuts/brackets due to them not lining up properly. I'll be buying some new hardware the next time this goes on.
  • The quality of the brackets, top, etc is top-notch. I had some reservations early on about dropping $1600+ on another top, but the build quality is satisfying
  • I had some damage to 2 of my windows from shipping. looks like the corner braces rubbed the windows a bit. going to call Bestop this morning and see what they say.
  • The youtube installation video was much easier than the manual. I really appreciate how they edited out the challenging parts like trying to get the rear connecting rails installed, stretching the corners and then getting the back window to attach for the first time. I'd love to see an outtake reel where they were cussing up a storm like I was :)
I'll be curious to see if I can get it off in one piece this fall, then remove the brackets. hopefully it's modular for removal/storage.

Ford Bronco ⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back? trektop installed

OP
OP
NYCBD

NYCBD

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subway
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just installed my 2dr Trektop yesterday.. took about 4-5 hours, but I too watched the video 3-4 times, paused it, test fit, etc. I figure it should take about an hour the next time around.

Some observations:
  • Bestop really should have included some rubber gaskets for where the metal brackets meet the roll bar paint. I used some of the leftover plastic dots, and some weather stripping, but I plan to get some ppf sheets the next time this thing comes off and then back on
  • The torx bolts kinda suck. Especially when you're mounting connecting rails that might be a little off. Yes, you need to re-loosen the brackets attached to the cage, but it really sucks trying not to strip out a torx head bolt when driving upside down into a bracket that isn't lined up properly. I had to chase a few treads on the nuts/brackets due to them not lining up properly. I'll be buying some new hardware the next time this goes on.
  • The quality of the brackets, top, etc is top-notch. I had some reservations early on about dropping $1600+ on another top, but the build quality is satisfying
  • I had some damage to 2 of my windows from shipping. looks like the corner braces rubbed the windows a bit. going to call Bestop this morning and see what they say.
  • The youtube installation video was much easier than the manual. I really appreciate how they edited out the challenging parts like trying to get the rear connecting rails installed, stretching the corners and then getting the back window to attach for the first time. I'd love to see an outtake reel where they were cussing up a storm like I was :)
I'll be curious to see if I can get it off in one piece this fall, then remove the brackets. hopefully it's modular for removal/storage.

Ford Bronco ⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back? trektop installed
Great info…Thanks! Planning on installing mine this weekend, it’s been sitting in the box 5 months now. Hopefully there’s no damage. Was also worried about scratching the roll bar. Does anyplace just sell vinyl sheets you can cut and wrap yourself?

alexg823

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco OBX Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm just wanting one that folds down behind the spare tire. It doesn't have to disappear into the cargo area, but at least go flat and lay on the cargo sidewalls. Come to think of it, that's exactly what my soft-top for my Jeep Wrangler did.
Same, I would buy a trektop today if I was able to fold it all the way back behind the spare tire. I hate the idea of keeping it folded on the top.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just installed my 2dr Trektop yesterday.. took about 4-5 hours,
Same. 1.5hrs my ass.

That bothered me a little too but I went ahead and did without anyway. I foresee painting my roll bar black someday anyway.

I got mine NIB second hand from a seller that had 2. He warned me about the hardware from installing his own and included some other bolts that worked better for him. I'm a little annoyed Bestop used Torx instead of Torx Plus like the Bronco, so I had to round up a second set of bits instead of just the Bronco toolkit, and then an Allen set for the other bolts he supplied.
My seller said he's been taking it off assembled. If that wasn't an option I think I'd be staying soft top for life. Shoot, I might anyway.

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great info…Thanks! Planning on installing mine this weekend, it’s been sitting in the box 5 months now. Hopefully there’s no damage. Was also worried about scratching the roll bar. Does anyplace just sell vinyl sheets you can cut and wrap yourself?
If I wasn't committed to getting it done in one day, I would have paused and ordered this (I used it for my door sills). It's a thin/clear PPF film that you could cut off sections and install on the roll bar under the brackets

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EP52BU

Or I'd go to Napa and buy some cut it yourself gasket material and shape them like the brackets.

I'll probably do both next spring when it goes back on.

TLehrman

First Edition
First Name
Tami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Same. 1.5hrs my ass.

That bothered me a little too but I went ahead and did without anyway. I foresee painting my roll bar black someday anyway.

I got mine NIB second hand from a seller that had 2. He warned me about the hardware from installing his own and included some other bolts that worked better for him. I'm a little annoyed Bestop used Torx instead of Torx Plus like the Bronco, so I had to round up a second set of bits instead of just the Bronco toolkit, and then an Allen set for the other bolts he supplied.

My seller said he's been taking it off assembled. If that wasn't an option I think I'd be staying soft top for life. Shoot, I might anyway.
i sure hope you can take it off assembled too! Curious if he is separating the canvas from the brackets??

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

mark2215

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I wasn't committed to getting it done in one day, I would have paused and ordered this (I used it for my door sills). It's a thin/clear PPF film that you could cut off sections and install on the roll bar under the brackets

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003EP52BU

Or I'd go to Napa and buy some cut it yourself gasket material and shape them like the brackets.

I'll probably do both next spring when it goes back on.
I have the bestop waiting to go on my Bronco. Do you think it would work just as well to stick the clear PPF from amazon onto the brackets before attaching to the Bronco instead of putting the PPF on the roll bar? This way when the soft top is off there is no film left where the brackets were located.

Sponsored

Bronc OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have the bestop waiting to go on my Bronco. Do you think it would work just as well to stick the clear PPF from amazon onto the brackets before attaching to the Bronco instead of putting the PPF on the roll bar? This way when the soft top is off there is no film left where the brackets were located.
yeah, either way would probably work. You honestly can't tell the ppf when it's over paint though.. it's clear. I have it on my rockers, hood lip, etc. I would still put a thin rubber gasket material sandwiched too.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i sure hope you can take it off assembled too! Curious if he is separating the canvas from the brackets??
He said he's leaving it almost fully assembled and it takes 15-20 minutes.

279052977_302337558587623_3890618208206425636_n.jpg

Peddler

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there!
I will pass on this request to the team!

-Eryn@Bestop
Please make a sunrider “max” that covers the front and back seats but leaves the MIC rear cap in place.

Bestop_Team

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Bestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Installed mine last Friday, and really don't plan to take it off. As stated, the thin seal and gasket could be left on. If I was planning to swap annually, there's some hardware I'd be changing out to hex heads, as the torx are too easy to strip. Like anything else, once you do it that first time, the reinstall will be much faster.

I like that it folds on top, out of the view out the rear. I like that the top is separate from the sides, for different configs. It does everything I want - Love it so far.

Ford Bronco ⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back? 279052977_302337558587623_3890618208206425636_n

Ford Bronco ⁉️Swapping from Hardtop to BesTop TrekTop and back? 279052977_302337558587623_3890618208206425636_n

Hey!
Love these photos! Mind if we repost? We can tag whoever!

- Eryn@Bestop

Bestop_Team

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Bestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Jeep
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
@Bestop_Team do you plan on making a window storage bag specifically for the Bronco? I only see one for the previous generation Wrangler on your site. Or, will that one work possibly?
Hey!
We do but no ETA on this right now.

- Eryn@Bestop
Sponsored