Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Updated 5/14/21 with confirmation from the Ford parts system:

Source: https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/2021-bronco-parts-department-catalog-is-up.16634/post-603373

Original post:

Am I the only one that was under the impression the Bronco was getting the 10R80? I looked back and all of the discussions I think just assumed as I could not find a reference from Ford stating what specific model would be in the Bronco. I don't know all of the differences between the 80 and the 60 but it just feels funny to have an Explorer transmission in an HD off road machine. I will withhold judgement for now.

20210407_140145.jpg

Screenshot_20210508-070746_Chrome.jpg
Sorry but I just couldn't help googling that lego you had in one of your browser tabs:
https://brickset.com/sets/76905-1/Ford-GT-Heritage-Edition-and-Bronco-R
Sponsored

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nah. Not unless they mate it to the V6. The manual isn't rated any higher for max torque than the auto. It's actually closer to 400 lb/ft if I recall correctly.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I don’t know a whole lot about this stuff just being honest. The 10r80 applications are either fast vehicles (mustang) with high power and that are likely to be romped on with 0-60 races and burnouts. Or tow vehicles. With 2x+ the capacity of what the Bronco tows. Now this is just to me, but I assume that Bronco will be relatively easy on the transmission due to the low gearing and lack of towing capacity? I feel like towing a maxed out ranger up a 7% grade would be FAR harder on the transmission than anything Bronco could throw at it but that’s just me.

And yes, durability is nice just for durability’s sake, but if the 10r60 is good enough for the Explorer ST I gotta imagine it will be perfectly fine in the Bronco.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Unfortunately, one of the most widespread complaints about the Explorer's transmission is the exact behavior that you described above in the Ranger.
Then no matter which way they decided to go with the Bronco, the end result for folks ordering the auto was....

giphy[1].gif

Sponsored

jay-rod427

Badlands
First Name
Jerod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Carbonized gray 2 dr BadLands Sans-Squatch ordered
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I don’t know a whole lot about this stuff just being honest. The 10r80 applications are either fast vehicles (mustang) with high power and that are likely to be romped on with 0-60 races and burnouts. Or tow vehicles. With 2x+ the capacity of what the Bronco tows. Now this is just to me, but I assume that Bronco will be relatively easy on the transmission due to the low gearing and lack of towing capacity? I feel like towing a maxed out ranger up a 7% grade would be FAR harder on the transmission than anything Bronco could throw at it but that’s just me.

And yes, durability is nice just for durability’s sake, but if the 10r60 is good enough for the Explorer ST I gotta imagine it will be perfectly fine in the Bronco.
You're way out of line with your logical rational thinking!:ROFLMAO:

nminus1

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Duramax, Trailblazer, and Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm going to drive my Bronco like I stole it and let the chips (repair and warranty wise) fall where they may. Fuck it.

Last edited:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Even if the tow rating is higher on the explorer, is the explorer towing 3200-3500lbs up 7% inclines on 35" tires from 6k-11k feet? Asking for a friend who lives in CO and drives/tows an offroad trailer through the steep passes on a regular basis. He also owns a f150 that tows but he would like to be able to take both the Bronco and trailer into the mountains;).

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Even if the tow rating is higher on the explorer, is the explorer towing 3200-3500lbs up 7% inclines on 35" tires from 6k-11k feet? Asking for a friend who lives in CO and drives/tows an offroad trailer through the steep passes on a regular basis. He also owns a f150 that tows but he would like to be able to take both the Bronco and trailer into the mountains;).
I mean the explorer tows a not insignificant amount more than the Bronco and if it’s rated for it it can tow up a 7% grade.

I don’t think that tires really matter that much as far as stress on the transmission as long as your gearing is good. My JK 3.8 with 3.21 axle ratios definitely strains a bit with my 33’s lol.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Apparently the 10R60 shifts drastically different than the 10R80 - and in a positive manner. The 10R60 is not slushy, jerky, laggy or clunky when it downshifts. In fact, you can barely tell that it's downshifting when coming to a stop and there's no jerkiness. So, we got that going for us!

Found this......

Applications[edit]
Ford[edit]
10R60[edit]
10R80-MHT[edit]
10R80[edit]
If this is the case I’m thrilled. My 2017 Taco downshifts drastically out of ECT, I’ll be thrilled with a smoother ride. Thanks for the info.