Sponsored

Ford 10R80 and 10R60 10 speed automatic transmissions, lots of bad press?

OP
OP
markregel

markregel

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
People usually get online to vent , not praise.
Ive hade the 6spd in many 150s. Currently have the 10spd in my raptor and in my bronco. They are both great improvement over the 6. Faster acceleration.
They are “learning” trans, ford constantly comes out with updates to smooth them out aswell.
Way of the future..

And i miss my AC seats and seat memory way more then im concerned about my trans.. 😃 ford ESP got me
I agree, and good to hear positive experience.
Sponsored

myrealname123

Badlands
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Over 10K miles now and I have no complaints. I'm a fan of this 10sp.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I wonder if, just like the motor that was changed specifically for the Bronco, maybe some components of the transmission were also changed?

jjack50

Black Diamond
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 VW Jetta TDI, 2016 F350 4WD Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Okay, my turn to vent.

This has nothing to do with Fords decision to go with the 10R60 over the 10R80, I just want a transmission that is reliable first and foremost. Out of curiosity I Googled "10R60 vs 10R80", and was dismayed at the amount of bad press on these transmissions. The first hit was: "Is the Ford 10 speed transmission reliable". Answer: "No. It has a history of problems". I know you can dig up dirt on anything online, but these 10 speeds seem to have a bad reputation. Some of the same sources lauded the previous 6R80 transmission the 10 speeds replaced! I wish the Bronco had that one! Complexity for the sake of complexity is NEVER a good thing, how much benefit is there to 10 speeds, 0.1 MPG? I have heard a lot of complaining on this site over trivial stuff like hard plastic and effing heated seats and lighted vanity mirrors, how about the transmission? Has Ford fixed the problems? Mine is working well now with just 100 miles, but nothing is worse than a problematic clunky transmission. Been there done that.
Ford’s 10R80 transmission is based on a joint design with General Motors. The 10R60 is a newer, slightly smaller and lighter more efficient revision of that basic design. The new 10 Speed for the Super Duty is also based on the same design philosophy but beefier. The same process is going on at GM.
These new transmission designs are much better in performance and durability and reliability than older transmission designs.
They have been in use since 2018 across GM and Ford and are serving well.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are scared of the auto from your google experience, there is an alternative. Well, a couple actually.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OMG!

You have 100 miles and you are freaking out about the trans?

Sell your Bronco and save yourself from yourself

Okay, my turn to vent.

This has nothing to do with Fords decision to go with the 10R60 over the 10R80, I just want a transmission that is reliable first and foremost. Out of curiosity I Googled "10R60 vs 10R80", and was dismayed at the amount of bad press on these transmissions. The first hit was: "Is the Ford 10 speed transmission reliable". Answer: "No. It has a history of problems". I know you can dig up dirt on anything online, but these 10 speeds seem to have a bad reputation. Some of the same sources lauded the previous 6R80 transmission the 10 speeds replaced! I wish the Bronco had that one! Complexity for the sake of complexity is NEVER a good thing, how much benefit is there to 10 speeds, 0.1 MPG? I have heard a lot of complaining on this site over trivial stuff like hard plastic and effing heated seats and lighted vanity mirrors, how about the transmission? Has Ford fixed the problems? Mine is working well now with just 100 miles, but nothing is worse than a problematic clunky transmission. Been there done that.

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have not had any issues with the 10R80 in my '19 Ford Ranger (22 months/21,000 miles). IMO, the 2.3L/10 speed has been the best powertrain combo I have owned.

FreshKsig

First Edition
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FE Bronco, 22 BB Bronco, 21 Mustang Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We have had 3 Explorer ST's. No issues with the previous two. Our tranny went out in our most recent Explorer ST at only 5,000 miles. Got it replaced and nothing since. I chaulked it up to a freak incident. That being said we are finally stepping away from the Explorers for a bit and have an Expedition Timberline on order.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 10R80 in my 18 GT, been absolutely fabulous, same with the 5.0

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have the 2.3L, with the 10 speed automatic, and twice now, did it again this morning, I've taken off from a stop and the truck goes nowhere, just winds out the rpm's, then catches a gear, less than 3000 miles on the vehicle. The first time it did it it had less than 500 miles on it. It also makes noises till it warms up like the old days of timing clatter, not sure if that is engine or tranny on that one. It will be going to the dealer. Ranger I had never had an issue with the trans.

Sponsored

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve had the 10-speeds in three vehicles. 2017 F150 with the 3.5EB, 2022 F350 Tremor with the 7.3 Godzilla and concurrently with the Bronco and 2.7. I really feel the 10-speed is a great transmission. It keep the motor in power when you want it and then shifts/skip-shifts for efficiency.

I have found my 2022’s adjust to changing conditions quicker. My 2017 F150 seemed to take 10-15 miles to readjust after towing.

‘My ONLY complaint in the Bronco is when wheeling in 4L and in Drive, it tends to what to upshift and the worst times (downhill situations). This is easily remedied by dropping it in manual for downhills.

Deleted member 19381

I upgraded my C4 to an AOD in my 1983 Mustang GLX....no worries.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve had the 10-speeds in three vehicles. 2017 F150 with the 3.5EB, 2022 F350 Tremor with the 7.3 Godzilla and concurrently with the Bronco and 2.7. I really feel the 10-speed is a great transmission. It keep the motor in power when you want it and then shifts/skip-shifts for efficiency.

I have found my 2022’s adjust to changing conditions quicker. My 2017 F150 seemed to take 10-15 miles to readjust after towing.

‘My ONLY complaint in the Bronco is when wheeling in 4L and in Drive, it tends to what to upshift and the worst times (downhill situations). This is easily remedied by dropping it in manual for downhills.
My only complaint: In low range manual mode, it will still downshift to first when you stop, or nearly stop. It would be nice (in low range anyway) if it would allow you to hold second or third at a stop. In high range it's OK and the shift to first at stop isn't so annoying and usually just covers for a bone head driver (me).

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have the 2.3L, with the 10 speed automatic, and twice now, did it again this morning, I've taken off from a stop and the truck goes nowhere, just winds out the rpm's, then catches a gear, less than 3000 miles on the vehicle. The first time it did it it had less than 500 miles on it. It also makes noises till it warms up like the old days of timing clatter, not sure if that is engine or tranny on that one. It will be going to the dealer. Ranger I had never had an issue with the trans.
Hi there! I can look into the transmission concern you're experiencing with your Bronco. Will you send us a message with your VIN and the name and location of your dealer?
Sponsored