Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The title is primary question. The follow up I guess would be what is your major concern with this combination?

Here is mine....I have myself convinced that the 2.3 will be fine with up to 32's/33's with any of the available gearing choices, especially with the 4.27 and 4.46 options. I'm also convinced that Ford has run 2.3 pretty hard with the 35's, auto and the 4.7 gearing and hit their benchmarks. I mainly want it for the looks and the top off/doors off ability. It's not a race car and honestly will have limited use off-road. And I'm kinda guessing that is the market they are aiming for with this combination.

But for the cost of the 2.7 upgrade, for me, isn't a factor in the purchase. If i get the 2.3 and end up tuning it later, that's going to be around $1K and a premium gas hit!

Ugh.....what's everyone else thing?
Sponsored

Zinn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2020 Ranger Lariat
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Youā€™re going to want premium fuel either way. Any turbo-ed engine will appreciate the higher grade fuel (especially with Fordā€™s OEM tunes that adjust timings and increase horsepower based on knock). But _especially_ the 2.3L youā€™ll want 91 or ideally 93 octane to mitigate carbon buildup.

I have the 2.3L in my Ranger and thereā€™s a big difference in power going from 87 to 93. This is without a tune.

Frankly I donā€™t think Sasquatch makes much sense with the 2.3L. Itā€™s a fine engine for the Ranger, but I just donā€™t know how it would hold up to much heavier wheels and tires. I plan on either Black Diamond or Badlands with the 2.3L fwiw.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The title is primary question. The follow up I guess would be what is your major concern with this combination?

Here is mine....I have myself convinced that the 2.3 will be fine with up to 32's/33's with any of the available gearing choices, especially with the 4.27 and 4.46 options. I'm also convinced that Ford has run 2.3 pretty hard with the 35's, auto and the 4.7 gearing and hit their benchmarks. I mainly want it for the looks and the top off/doors off ability. It's not a race car and honestly will have limited use off-road. And I'm kinda guessing that is the market they are aiming for with this combination.

But for the cost of the 2.7 upgrade, for me, isn't a factor in the purchase. If i get the 2.3 and end up tuning it later, that's going to be around $1K and a premium gas hit!

Ugh.....what's everyone else thing?
I don't think Ford is gonna sell a lot of Squatched Broncos without the 2.7L. It's just too easy to throw on another 1900 bucks when you've already paid for the auto and Squatch package, whether it be pre-orders or dealer stock.

I personally would move down a trim before giving up the engine if it became a budgeting issue, and if there's no budgeting issue, there's no point in NOT getting the 2.7l. imo of course.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Youā€™re going to want premium fuel either way. Any turbo-ed engine will appreciate the higher grade fuel (especially with Fordā€™s OEM tunes that adjust timings and increase horsepower based on knock). But _especially_ the 2.3L youā€™ll want 91 or ideally 93 octane to mitigate carbon buildup.

I have the 2.3L in my Ranger and thereā€™s a big difference in power going from 87 to 93. This is without a tune.

Frankly I donā€™t think Sasquatch makes much sense with the 2.3L. Itā€™s a fine engine for the Ranger, but I just donā€™t know how it would hold up to much heavier wheels and tires. I plan on either Black Diamond or Badlands with the 2.3L fwiw.
I'm currently thinking a Big Bend with the 4.27 E-Locker and Auto with the 2.3. I like the taller skinny tire look.

OP
OP
DonM

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't think Ford is gonna sell a lot of Squatched Broncos without the 2.7L. It's just too easy to throw on another 1900 bucks when you've already paid for the auto and Squatch package, whether it be pre-orders or dealer stock.

I personally would move down a trim before giving up the engine if it became a budgeting issue, and if there's no budgeting issue, there's no point in NOT getting the 2.7l. imo of course.
This is why I waffle with the Big Bend and Auto and 4.27 E-Locker with the 2.3 or the Base with 2.7 and Sasquatch. I'm going with the 4 door so the Base might be the way to go.

Sponsored

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Going up to 32s on the base with the 2.3 auto with 3.73s probably won't be too bad. Seems like a lot of Rangers are running larger tires with this set up.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
I might get the 2.3 with the Base and Sasquatch. I haven't fully decided. Going to the 2.7 does push me past my budget.

Also just a simple 93 Octane tune puts the 2.3 right at the 2.7s power level. And thats plenty for Off Roading.. Well see.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not I said the fly, dont wanna wait any longer for my car to be crotched

Always can go aftermarket down the line

swampgoat

Badlands
First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 bronco xlt 5 speed manual, 2020 f350 tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2 door, 2.3, manual and SAS in a base was my original plan but I may change to BL with 2.3 and manual , NON-SAS, depending on how late the base SAS with a manual is projected to be at order time. Either way I'm going 2.3 and manual

Sponsored

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Nope. It's the 2.7 for me. Rather just spend the little extra money for the more powerful engine. Rather have the bigger engine and not need it then to get the smaller engine and wish I had gotten the 2.7

Randy92Fox

Base
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Half Cab, 7.3 Powerstroke, 5.0 Convertible Fox
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Engines much weaker than the 2.3EB have been turning 35's for decades... often without the luxury of 4.70's...
This! The older Toyota pickups do it with 4 cylinders and barely 100 lb-ft. I'm going #mansquatch so my only option is 2.3 but if I were going auto I'd go 2.7 without hesitation because I like torque and the 2.7 makes a bit more stock and a lot more with a tune. 2.3 will have NO issues moving 35" tires.

mrcx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'67 Camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm going BL, MT, 2.3L, non-Sas.
My last Wrangler had 285hp/260 lb-ft and had no problem with 35's. So the 2.3L with 270hp/310 lb-ft) should be just fine.
I can always a tune down the road if I decide I want more power.

N2AK

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1st gen 4runner, 1990 Toyota xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Base
This! The older Toyota pickups do it with 4 cylinders and barely 100 lb-ft. I'm going #mansquatch so my only option is 2.3 but if I were going auto I'd go 2.7 without hesitation because I like torque and the 2.7 makes a bit more stock and a lot more with a tune. 2.3 will have NO issues moving 35" tires.
I totally agree with this, but of course everyone has their own expectation of performance. For me, I do not need the Bronco to be quick or peppy at a drag strip. Itā€™s my escape to the off road world. Right now I have an ā€˜88 4runner with 35ā€ tires, stock gears, 22re motor with the 4spd auto. Not an exciting combo for street driving but put that rig in 4x4 LO and it goes up a mountain so it does exactly what I want.

only ready Iā€™m considering the 2.7L is due to the whole carbon build up/direct injection only thing with the 2.3. Hoping there is still a chance for 2.7 with a manual in the future.
Sponsored