Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I saw that the 2.3 EcoBoost has Gasoline Direct Injection, instead of a combination of port and GDI. The 2.3 is the engine that I plan to get on the Bronco.

With that said, how do you clean the carbon buildup on the valves on a 2.3? Do you put higher octane gas?
Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Fuel dilution in the engine oil is a larger issue overall for this specific engine.

Please check out the Ranger forums as they have been using this engine in "truck configuration" (as opposed to the configuration used in the Mustang) for a few years now and they have plenty of info on the subject you are looking into.

Full disclosure: The GF has a 2019 Ranger so we have some experience with this motor and configuration. The motor feels like more than enough for a 2-door Bronco, IMHO. If I wanted a race car, i'd have kept the 500 all-wheel-horsepower Evo track car.... Our oil sample will be going to Blackstone labs next week to test dilution.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

blkreaper

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Camaro SS m6, GX470, E39 & E24 BMW, 2005 Range
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
generally in every DI engine, you want to drive hard or full throttle it every so often. If you baby it all the time, you will get build up.

But like previously stated, walnut blasting is the way to go but thats not preventative maintenance. Thats for when there is already build up.

I drive my cars like I stole them. Recently i took a look at the valves in my Camaro and they're pretty clean. I bought it brand new in November 2015 and it now has 70k on it.

Dick_Castlesmurff

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I saw that the 2.3 EcoBoost has Gasoline Direct Injection, instead of a combination of port and GDI. The 2.3 is the engine that I plan to get on the Bronco.

With that said, how do you clean the carbon buildup on the valves on a 2.3? Do you put higher octane gas?
I'm curious why people are interested in the 2.3? I'm only considering it because I want a MT. If the MPG is only +/- 1-2 MPG the 2.3 is going to be a really hard sell for me. The $1-3k to upgrade the 2.7/10 speed is only a small fraction of even the base model. The whole point of a 4 banger to me is price point, and I don't think this looks like it's really going to be that economical of a choice over the 2.7.

I have no concerns over the power of the the 2.3.

Sponsored

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd listen to that Rick fella, cause you know he's never gonna tell and lie and hurt you.

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

BOLD Renegade93

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

wjfawb0 [hacked account]

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My limited understanding of direct injection in the USA is that you get soot from the burn because the mixture is somewhat stratified. That can build up carbon on the piston and chamber. In the USA, the emissions limit on particulate is about 100 times lower than europe so American market direct injection starts injecting earlier while the intake valve is still open to get better mixing and a fuller burn. The intake valve's are getting coated by oil vapor from the PCV that's main function is drying the oil and prevent pressure buildup and emissions from the crankcase. Catch cans can delay the intake valve buildup, but eventually you have to clean them. Treatments of seafoam sprayed into the intake might delay it longer too. Port injection "washes" the intake valves.

It's been a while, so somebody correct me where I'm wrong.

Sponsored

AKaye

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Corvette Grand Sport, 2005 Ford Focus SES
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good full synthetic oil and an oil catch can is the extent Id go on it. Maybe inspect the valves at 50-100k miles and determine if they need to be cleaned.

Since the issue is so widespread across DI cars im sure theres plenty of professionals which offer to clean valves or DIY guides if you are up for it. Im not extremely concerned about it though.

Deleted member

I have watched this thread with great interest. I own a R56 MCS (Mini Cooper S); there are numerous stories and videos documenting carbon buildup issues with this particular car. Some of these are simply horrific and happened as early as 50K or 60K miles. And yes, walnut shell blasting is a fantastic method for cleaning the carbon buildup once it has occurred.

However, most (not all) carbon buildup problems are caused by the owners of the vehicles themselves. They drive their cars gingerly and never let the vehicle run as it was engineered by the manufacturer. My mechanic was telling a story about a BMW M5 that had carbon buildup problems. The car had never seen the high side of 4K and, thus, never had a chance to "burn off" the carbon deposits that were accumulating.

Simply drive the car and let the engine run every once in a while. Higher RPM's will burn the deposits before the carbon has a chance to accumulate.

jdogi

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I do end up with the 2.3 (want the manual), I'll probably swap in one of the extra baffled PCV breather plates along with a catch can (or two). If I'm going to go through the trouble, might as well do as much mitigation as I can, all at the start.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Fuel dilution in the engine oil is a larger issue overall for this specific engine.

Please check out the Ranger forums as they have been using this engine in "truck configuration" (as opposed to the configuration used in the Mustang) for a few years now and they have plenty of info on the subject you are looking into.

Full disclosure: The GF has a 2019 Ranger so we have some experience with this motor and configuration. The motor feels like more than enough for a 2-door Bronco, IMHO. If I wanted a race car, i'd have kept the 500 all-wheel-horsepower Evo track car.... Our oil sample will be going to Blackstone labs next week to test dilution.
Is it? I've not heard that, though I haven't really looked either. I have the 2.3 in an RS, and for what it's worth my Blackstone reports have come back with no signs of fuel dilution so far.
Sponsored