Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't mind changing oil on my cars (weirdly I kind of enjoy it).

I don't like doing it on vehicles that are a pain in the ass to get to the filter. Hopefully it isn't too much more than removing the bash plate or similar underbody protection.
Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 2.7 was updated (second gen) in 2018 to include port injectors to help address the valve fouling issue.
Valve overlap, when both exhaust is closing/intake is opening, contributes to the fouling as well. The 2.7 has variable valve timing that may help alleviate the fouling (have to research this more, unsure if they significantly change the timing at idle to address the fouling). Increased valve overlap improves higher rpm performance.... I'll guess Ford reduces overlap at idle?

Using a 'Cleaning service' for the valves could result in the crap going thru the turbochargers, damaging them! Check with Ford before having someone perform this!

I'm new to the EcoBoost, but not to engines. Just passing on some tidbits I've found on the EB.
2.3 uses variable timing also...pretty much every engine produced today does. "Cam overlap" is a function of cam duration, and cant be changed by vvt...the whole cam is either advanced or retarded. The only manufacturer that has a specific system for this is Honda to my knowledge. I would assume it is proprietary (VTEC). Newer Hondas have vvt+VTEC. Basically they use a seperate cam lobe for higher rpm that's got a rocker that freewheels till it's locked to the main rocker by oil pressure, which comes from a spool valve...same way cam phasers are actuated...but a totally independent system. Wonder if Honda owns a patent on this?

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cool, thanks. I don't have any experience with that but will start looking into it.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't mind changing oil on my cars (weirdly I kind of enjoy it).

I don't like doing it on vehicles that are a pain in the ass to get to the filter. Hopefully it isn't too much more than removing the bash plate or similar underbody protection.
I believe the engine should be built around the oil filter! Toyota disagrees and makes then inaccessible. Good thing you never have to change them lol.

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recommend everyone search for "Amsoil vs Everything Else" on YouTube and watch the video. Sorry to all you Mobile One Fans, but Mobile One is no longer a Full Synthetic Oil. Do a little research. And no, I don't sell Amsoil. I've just done a lot of research on lubricants, and Amsoil is the best.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I recommend everyone search for "Amsoil vs Everything Else" on YouTube and watch the video. Sorry to all you Mobile One Fans, but Mobile One is no longer a Full Synthetic Oil. Do a little research. And no, I don't sell Amsoil. I've just done a lot of research on lubricants, and Amsoil is the best.

Some, or many, of Mobil 1 is no longer 100% PAO, but some still is. You just have to know which is which. Seems pretty hard to keep up as they bring out so many different oils. I use Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 as the last info I had it is still 100% PAO and not a blend.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And one of the things that makes Mobil 1 good is their additives and detergents. Unless that has changed as well, they are still one of the best (especially price per Qt) and a highly refined choice.

mdonathan56

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Bad,2016 Q5 TDI, 2009 Honda Element EX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A little info I found. Apparently the Second Gen 2.7L has some improvements that help with the carbon issue.

https://www.motorreviewer.com/
2.7 EcoBoost Engine Problems and Reliability
The 2.7L EcoBoost engine has a short history and no common problems at low mileage. Currently, there are rare reports of blown head gaskets, replacing cylinder heads under warranty and leaking plastic oil pan. But it can happen with any new engine due to possible parts failure or improper assembly.

It can also be said that the second generation is potentially more balanced and reliable. It has an additional port injection, which is more optimal for turbocharged engines and, most importantly, prevents from a carbon buildup on valves and walls of intake ports.

Like most turbocharged engines, the 2.7 EcoBoost needs top quality synthetic oil, and a lack of even basic maintenance will kill it quickly. Also, direct injectors are more directly involved in combustion. In this case, they are more likely to become fouled and need to be cleaned or, in the worst scenario, replaced.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

One word... Amsoil
So here's my question then... Amsoil... but at what Interval? What kills me is people that buy the best oil that money can buy, then change it every 3K... such a waste.

If this was NOT a turbo'd engine, I'd be going with Mobil 1 Extended at 10K intervals with no doubts in my mind (and Black Labs to back it up).

If I have to go from my $5 per quart oil to $15+ per quart and it doesn't get me any more mileage...seems like I'd just be tossing money out the window.

My VW diesel was the most expensive I've every had.. was $10 per quart but I could go 10K with it.

Sponsored

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So here's my question then... Amsoil... but at what Interval? What kills me is people that buy the best oil that money can buy, then change it every 3K... such a waste.

If this was NOT a turbo'd engine, I'd be going with Mobil 1 Extended at 10K intervals with no doubts in my mind (and Black Labs to back it up).

If I have to go from my $5 per quart oil to $15+ per quart and it doesn't get me any more mileage...seems like I'd just be tossing money out the window.

My VW diesel was the most expensive I've every had.. was $10 per quart but I could go 10K with it.
I change my oil every six months regardless. So for me that's every 4-6 k miles.The great thing about Amsoil, other than the great lubricity is the low temperature viscosity and high alkaline base. Amsoil flows the best in low temperature startups, when a significant amount of engine wear occurs. And doesn't become as acidic over time compared to most other synthetic oils. Amsoil is the best. And if you pay for their preferred customer plan? Their best oil, the Signature Series is only $10.00 a quart. I won't put any other oil in my vehicles. Do a little research, you'll see Amsoil is worth it and will actually save you money even if you change your oil every 3k miles. Happy motoring! ?

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model