Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well folks, I've made many posts on this forum but this is my first post AS A BRONCO OWNER!!!

I literally just took delivery of my 2022 BL SAS 7spd about 2 hours ago.

I will be posting an in-depth review or it all but as it pertains to this thread:

DO NOT GET AN AUTO!!! My love affair with manuals has officially been rekindled. Obviously, no off-road yet, but man, driving this thing is literally a joy!! It is fun...a kind of fun you'll never get with an auto. 2.7L be damned. This thing rocks - you are guaranteed to love it.

In closing, there's a real reason people are gaga over the new Bronco. It's the coolest and most fun car I've driven in years...the manual takes that to the next level. The manual. Do it.

OurBronc.jpg
canā€™t wait for your update! You have one of the rarest ones being a Manual Sasquatch. Iā€™m sure everyone will be interested
Sponsored

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldnā€™t even be on this Forum if the Bronco wasnā€™t offered with a manual. A Manual will make any car fun. Even my pos 95 Corolla beater was fun to row the gears and rev out, rev match down shifts, etc. Its just more engagement and control.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
As a long time semi-serious rock crawler, autos are the only way to go! More control (two foot driving), better effective crawl ratio (torque converter multiplication), and break less parts (no solid coupling or clutch ā€œpoppingā€). Plus those manual guys crawling along in that crawl gear just get in the way and block the trails ( they should at least learn how to shift). While both my mustang and model A are manuals, for serious work/use autos are much better. But if ya ā€œneedā€ a bigger challenge (or donā€™t do serious off roading) get a manual...
Iā€™m semi serious too. I have both an auto and manual JK. On the trails I do there are certain spots the manual does better at popping over obstacles where the auto just doesnā€™t get the oomph to get over easily. With the manual I feel more involved because I can chose the gear, feather the clutch, or pop it over something. Thatā€™s my preference, all the buggyā€™s are automatic so they must be better overall. I had a Samurai that was automatic that would go anywhere

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

one thing to note about the manual and those talking about the 94:1 crawl. There are only 2 ways to get that in 22 only 1 in 21 as it also requires the advanced tcase and 4.7 axle gearing to get that crawl rate.

for 21 models the only way was a manual badlands. Non sas of course as sas was not avail w manual in 21.

for 22 manual badlands and manual sas gets the crawl rate.

All other manual equipped options do not have the 94:1 but some number less.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The other plus of a manual is the inherent anti-theft aspect.

Sponsored

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i got the auto mainly if the wife ever needs to use it in any type of emergency situation its dumb to have it manual because she has NO interest in learning it.

wetdog

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you have ever seen an automatic transmission apart you will get a manual.

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am learning so much from this group. I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, so please forgive me if it has already been discussed.

It seems that if you are looking to do any serious off-roading, there are only two engine options to consider.

2.3 Manual or 2.7 Automatic both option with SAS

-The 2.3 Manual has the Crawl gear providing a whopping 94.75:1 Crawl Ratio but no turn assist.
-The 2.7 Crawl Ratio of 67.8:1, but Auto includes Trail Control and Turn Assist.
-The 2.3 Auto is missing both the higher crawl ratio and the Trail Control.

My question is, which would be preferred for moderate to difficult off-road situations? Does the higher crawl ratio with the manual, or does the Trail Control with 1-Pedal drive help offset the lower crawl ratio? My understanding is that higher crawl ratio is always better for off-roading scenarios.

I am leaning toward the 2.7 automatic since it will also be a daily driver, and a manual transmission in traffic is no fun, but I wanted to make sure I won't be missing out on some good off-road trails.

Thanks,
Well, as far as trail control goes, they demo'ed it at the Off-Roadeo, but mostly used compression braking. I run premium on my 2.3l and couldn't be happier.

Scout6g

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a Wrangler manual for 20 years, it was my daily driver for 10 and I loved it. Yep, sometimes in stop and go traffic I got sick of the clutch but I never regretted it. I also never considered the automatic for the Bronco especially since COVID has me working from home permanently now. My wife tried to talk me into the auto but she can drive the stick in a pinch and has an automatic Wrangler so it wasn't a big point of contention. After test driving the 2.7 auto I'm a little worried about the power of the 2.3, especially with the added weight of the Sasquatch but I know I won't be driving a race car and I could always do an aftermarket chip upgrade or something if it's too sluggish. Can't wait to drive that thing in 2027 or whenever I get it!

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah I was in DC for years! Get stuck in 2-4 hours of traffic and tell me manual is fun.
You'l chuckle now , as you slip it into the crawler gear and just let it roll out for the most part.
LOL!
If you need to play catch up, it's synchro'd right into 1st so ....

I really want to drive a ManSquatch, see how those 4.70's are on 35's ... I bet they're PERFECT, the 4.46 is just a tiny touch too tall for the 35's on my Base.
The 4.46 on the 30" tires was very over geared, 33's would have probably been the sweet spot.
Sponsored