Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The age old question that will never be answered and only results in both camps rehashing their arguments.

Only you know what you prefer.

But the correct answer is 2.3 manual.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I've only owned manual vehicles (and still do) and the bronco is my first automatic.

Anyone who says a manual is fun in traffic is a liar. Or maybe they live in Nebraska or something and doesn't know what traffic can be like.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I got the 7MT in the 2-door because I wanted it from day one. Much as @thatspecialbeat said, if you're asking, you know... To be fair, with the manual, a lot of that wiz bang G.O.A.T. stuff will be pretty gimmicky, since most of that G.O.A.T. is between you and your feet. And the 2-doors shorter wheelbase turns pretty tight, even without the assist.

Now if I was to be getting a longer more-door, I would definitely consider the AT. That trail-turn is pretty nice and will be pretty handy with the longer wheelbase. Along with all the other wizardry that happens between G.O.A.T. modes and the transmission, there is a real benefit with a modern AT.

I've driven both the 2.3 (of course) and a 2.7 Wildtrack, and while that 2.7 is really great, I prefer the 2.3. Yes it has less power, but still hauls just fine, and years down the road when I have to work on something on the side of the trail it will be much easier to do so. And I get the MT.

smrpilot

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Silverado 3500HD, '68 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The age old question that will never be answered and only results in both camps rehashing their arguments.

Only you know what you prefer.

But the correct answer is 2.3 manual.
Something happened to your last line and it shrunk...

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gazza

Gazza

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well folks, I've made many posts on this forum but this is my first post AS A BRONCO OWNER!!!

I literally just took delivery of my 2022 BL SAS 7spd about 2 hours ago.

I will be posting an in-depth review or it all but as it pertains to this thread:

DO NOT GET AN AUTO!!! My love affair with manuals has officially been rekindled. Obviously, no off-road yet, but man, driving this thing is literally a joy!! It is fun...a kind of fun you'll never get with an auto. 2.7L be damned. This thing rocks - you are guaranteed to love it.

In closing, there's a real reason people are gaga over the new Bronco. It's the coolest and most fun car I've driven in years...the manual takes that to the next level. The manual. Do it.

Ford Bronco 2.3 Manual vs. 2.7 Automatic auto.JPG
Congratulations She's a beaute! I look forward to your review.

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

if you off roading and are serious about it, get the 2.7 auto.

if you are going to daily it and want one last vehicle to be manual before everything is either auto or electric, get the manual.

OP
OP
Gazza

Gazza

Black Diamond
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've only owned manual vehicles (and still do) and the bronco is my first automatic.

Anyone who says a manual is fun in traffic is a liar. Or maybe they live in Nebraska or something and doesn't know what traffic can be like.
Yeah I was in DC for years! Get stuck in 2-4 hours of traffic and tell me manual is fun.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

-The 2.3 Manual has the Crawl gear providing a whopping 94.75:1 Crawl Ratio but no turn assist.
The low craw ratio is due to it being manual. You don't need that low with an automatic transmission. The lower ratio takes some of the challenges of a manual transmission in certain circumstances.

If you don't have a strong opinion yourself, then the default would be the auto. Typically if you are getting a manual transmission it's because that's what you want, and you know why you want it. It's not necessarily because it's better.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the 2.7 auto and have driven all three combos, with SQ. I would have zero issues recommending all three. The 2.3 auto is very good too. Personally, I now much prefer autos (I have had three manual Broncos and even special ordered a F150 manual with the 4.6 Triton when it was available). The downsides of the auto for me have been reduced or eliminated and the few times I would like one, next time I am in traffic, I forget wanting a manual again. To each their own, but don’t discount the 2.3 auto. It’s solid too.

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ‘1928 model A, “23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
As a long time semi-serious rock crawler, autos are the only way to go! More control (two foot driving), better effective crawl ratio (torque converter multiplication), and break less parts (no solid coupling or clutch “popping”). Plus those manual guys crawling along in that crawl gear just get in the way and block the trails ( they should at least learn how to shift). While both my mustang and model A are manuals, for serious work/use autos are much better. But if ya “need” a bigger challenge (or don’t do serious off roading) get a manual...

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

H - 2 CHARLIE

Wildtrak
First Name
CHARLIE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F 150 - E 350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The manual let's you Rev the heck out of the motor at will . A auto should last longer over the life of the engine because of lower revs . I was set on only a 2.7 but I'm pretty sure I'm getting 2.3 auto 4 door base sasquatch .

StarPony

Badlands
First Name
Angie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well folks, I've made many posts on this forum but this is my first post AS A BRONCO OWNER!!!

I literally just took delivery of my 2022 BL SAS 7spd about 2 hours ago.

I will be posting an in-depth review or it all but as it pertains to this thread:

DO NOT GET AN AUTO!!! My love affair with manuals has officially been rekindled. Obviously, no off-road yet, but man, driving this thing is literally a joy!! It is fun...a kind of fun you'll never get with an auto. 2.7L be damned. This thing rocks - you are guaranteed to love it.

In closing, there's a real reason people are gaga over the new Bronco. It's the coolest and most fun car I've driven in years...the manual takes that to the next level. The manual. Do it.

Ford Bronco 2.3 Manual vs. 2.7 Automatic auto.JPG
This gives me so much hope! Excited for you! Have fun! 🙌

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It really comes down to if you are a manual person or not. The auto does everything the manual can do, and does it easier. For some of us though, that takes the fun out of it. I like being in control. I like shifting gears. I don't care whatever shortcomings having a clutch may or may not have on the trail. I drive a manual because it's what I want to do.

If you don't want to sleepwalk through life, get the manual. If you have other things to do beside shift, get the auto. You only have to please you.
Sponsored