Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am learning so much from this group. I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, so please forgive me if it has already been discussed.

It seems that if you are looking to do any serious off-roading, there are only two engine options to consider.

2.3 Manual or 2.7 Automatic both option with SAS

-The 2.3 Manual has the Crawl gear providing a whopping 94.75:1 Crawl Ratio but no turn assist.
-The 2.7 Crawl Ratio of 67.8:1, but Auto includes Trail Control and Turn Assist.
-The 2.3 Auto is missing both the higher crawl ratio and the Trail Control.

My question is, which would be preferred for moderate to difficult off-road situations? Does the higher crawl ratio with the manual, or does the Trail Control with 1-Pedal drive help offset the lower crawl ratio? My understanding is that higher crawl ratio is always better for off-roading scenarios.

I am leaning toward the 2.7 automatic since it will also be a daily driver, and a manual transmission in traffic is no fun, but I wanted to make sure I won't be missing out on some good off-road trails.

Thanks,
Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am learning so much from this group. I haven't seen much discussion on this topic, so please forgive me if it has already been discussed.

It seems that if you are looking to do any serious off-roading, there are only two engine options to consider.

2.3 Manual or 2.7 Automatic both option with SAS

-The 2.3 Manual has the Crawl gear providing a whopping 94.75:1 Crawl Ratio but no turn assist.
-The 2.7 Crawl Ratio of 67.8:1, but Auto includes Trail Control and Turn Assist.
-The 2.3 Auto is missing both the higher crawl ratio and the Trail Control.

My question is, which would be preferred for moderate to difficult off-road situations? Does the higher crawl ratio with the manual, or does the Trail Control with 1-Pedal drive help offset the lower crawl ratio? My understanding is that higher crawl ratio is always better for off-roading scenarios.

I am leaning toward the 2.7 automatic since it will also be a daily driver, and a manual transmission in traffic is no fun, but I wanted to make sure I won't be missing out on some good off-road trails.

Thanks,
Thats the main reason the manual is lower to make it easier to feather the throttle with worrying about working the clutch too much.
at 90+:1 just drop the clutch and just use the throttle.

i would say Auto because of all the added features, auto braking, trail turn and don’t forget remote start.

as for total torque.
29,300+lbft at the wheels with 2.3 manual
27,100+lbft at the wheels with 2.7 auto.
not a major difference in power to pull over obstacles.

in the end its all driving preferences.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am leaning toward the 2.7 automatic since it will also be a daily driver, and a manual transmission in traffic is no fun,

Thanks,
No,no,no…..manual transmission is always fun! Ya really want to sit in traffic a passive participant to the human turmoil?
Two pedals are for bicycles (which are fun BTW)
Get an automatic -> turn in your Man Card.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
2.3 manual. Save $3,500 over V6 auto.

Less mechanical complexity, easier to service, resulting in greater longevity and reduced repair costs.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The general consensus in the off-roading community is anyone who is super serious about crazy rock crawling should get an automatic. And I say that as someone who loves manual transmissions, ordered a manual transmission, and will be off-roading in a manual transmission.

BUT, manuals are super fun to drive and offer a lot more challenging driving experience—particularly while off-roading. And of course you have those long-time members of the off-roading community who will say that you are not truly off-roading unless you are driving a manual.

I agree with @thatspecialbeat though. Generally speaking those who are getting a manual transmission know you want one without a doubt. Getting an automatic transmission wasn't even a serious consideration or a thought that entered their mind. So if you are asking, you probably should get an automatic.

ChompSticks

Black Diamond
First Name
ChompSticks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 E55 wagon, '98 Suzuki X-90, '96 Town Car
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The general consensus in the off-roading community is anyone who is super serious about crazy rock crawling should get an automatic. And I say that as someone who loves manual transmissions, ordered a manual transmission, and will be off-roading in a manual transmission.

BUT, manuals are super fun to drive and offer a lot more challenging driving experience—particularly while off-roading. And of course you have those long-time members of the off-roading community who will say that you are not truly off-roading unless you are driving a manual.

I agree with @thatspecialbeat though. Generally speaking those who are getting a manual transmission know you want one without a doubt. Getting an automatic transmission wasn't even a serious consideration or a thought that entered their mind. So if you are asking, you probably should get an automatic.
Yup, automatics are the easy way, but manuals are just fun. I do agree with you on the latter part. I never even thought once about getting an automatic Bronco.

AlpineDescent

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

7MT for the wife and I, it’s just more fun to drive (even in traffic). The manual has Hill Control which is similar to the Auto’s Trail Control. In my mind, the Turn Assist is a gimmick that will rarely be used and tears up the trail when it is used.
All that being said, the Auto is much easier to use and will probably be better for most people, especially if they don’t want to put in the effort to learn to drive a stick properly.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) Bronco is the easiest manual I've ever driven in traffic.

2) The one pedal drive annoyed me when I used it at the off-roadeo but left foot braking is second nature to me. You may like it.

3) Unless you are doing some serious crawling or you are trying to reverse the spin of the earth you will almost never need the crawl gear. Most of your off roading will probably be done in normal gears.

4) Manuals are always more fun. Always.

Sorry I didn't really clear anything up for you, glad I could be of no help.

Sponsored

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I haven't been lucky enough to drive one, but some reviews i've read on here stated the low crawl ratio makes it super easy to conquer stop and go in the manual. They just put it in low and release the clutch to get the car going as needed, no gas pedal necessary.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Driving a manual becomes so second nature you don't even think about it, until necessary.

I can hardly drive an automatic, I keep smashing the carpet for the clutch pedal and then I feel like a moron.

First BaseMan

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I haven't owned a manual in a long time, but I figured this will be probably be the last time I buy a new vehicle with a stick, so what the hell. If I don't love it, I'll trade it for something I do. Plus, nobody will ever bug me to drive it.

heynow14

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco - BL SAS MT LUX SOFT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well folks, I've made many posts on this forum but this is my first post AS A BRONCO OWNER!!!

I literally just took delivery of my 2022 BL SAS 7spd about 2 hours ago.

I will be posting an in-depth review or it all but as it pertains to this thread:

DO NOT GET AN AUTO!!! My love affair with manuals has officially been rekindled. Obviously, no off-road yet, but man, driving this thing is literally a joy!! It is fun...a kind of fun you'll never get with an auto. 2.7L be damned. This thing rocks - you are guaranteed to love it.

In closing, there's a real reason people are gaga over the new Bronco. It's the coolest and most fun car I've driven in years...the manual takes that to the next level. The manual. Do it.

Ford Bronco 2.3 Manual vs. 2.7 Automatic OurBronc
Sponsored