George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa fe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This has happened twice now, on my 2.3L 7MT badlands 4dr — in first and second gear. I’ll be in gear, slowly climbing through the revs right before I shift around 3.5k or so, and the car will kind of lurch back and forth almost like I’m applying throttle and letting off, over and over. Feels like a yo-yo effect a bit. My foot wasn’t on the clutch pedal whatsoever, but as soon as I press in the clutch to shift, it stops. Has only happened when the car is relatively cold and it’s the first time I’m get up to road speed after starting it.

I only have about 350mi on it so far, so wasn’t sure if this is simply a break-in quirk or not. It does feel like some amount of ECU learning could smooth it out, or possibly a turbo/wastegate/vacuum leak issue? I remember seeing someone else’s thread talking about their clutch acting strange similar to this but couldn’t find it by searching.
I just passed 1000 miles in my 4dr Manual Badlands and have not had this happen. Try turning the auto stop/start off - that definitely helped eliminate some of the “clunkiness” I was experiencing early on getting a feel for the stick.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just passed 1000 miles in my 4dr Manual Badlands and have not had this happen. Try turning the auto stop/start off - that definitely helped eliminate some of the “clunkiness” I was experiencing early on getting a feel for the stick.
Auto start stop has been turned off

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm at 800 miles on my 7MT. I haven't experienced what you are describing. Does it climb in RPM without acceleration? That would be a faulty or slipping clutch. Now that I have experienced on an economy car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm at 800 miles on my 7MT. I haven't experienced what you are describing. Does it climb in RPM without acceleration? That would be a faulty or slipping clutch. Now that I have experienced on an economy car.
I know what a slipping clutch feels like, and this isn’t it. It’s more of a yoyo sensation rocking back and forth. The clutch doesn’t seem to disengage, it feels like a bad mapping or something. Someone in the other thread hypothesized that it’s a fuel mapping issue

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As I reported in the clutch bouncing thread, I had the same issue. I've not noticed it since those first few weeks. Either I'm not doing whatever was causing it or the vehicle is not doing it. Either way, it's gone. I really think it was the engine losing power for some reason. Seems to have worked itself out.

SpeedTwin

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know what a slipping clutch feels like, and this isn’t it. It’s more of a yoyo sensation rocking back and forth. The clutch doesn’t seem to disengage, it feels like a bad mapping or something. Someone in the other thread hypothesized that it’s a fuel mapping issue
Very weird. Definitely keep us posted. Sorry that you are having to experience this.

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks all! Will definitely keep this thread and the other one up to date as I find things out/if the issue suddenly goes away. Got another cold start coming up this morning so fingers crossed 😂

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This has happened twice now, on my 2.3L 7MT badlands 4dr — in first and second gear. I’ll be in gear, slowly climbing through the revs right before I shift around 3.5k or so, and the car will kind of lurch back and forth almost like I’m applying throttle and letting off, over and over. Feels like a yo-yo effect a bit. My foot wasn’t on the clutch pedal whatsoever, but as soon as I press in the clutch to shift, it stops. Has only happened when the car is relatively cold and it’s the first time I’m get up to road speed after starting it.

I only have about 350mi on it so far, so wasn’t sure if this is simply a break-in quirk or not. It does feel like some amount of ECU learning could smooth it out, or possibly a turbo/wastegate/vacuum leak issue? I remember seeing someone else’s thread talking about their clutch acting strange similar to this but couldn’t find it by searching.
I’m at 2600 miles on my Badlands MT. I have noticed that same effect with mine. At very low speeds and under low throttle(near coasting). Mainly in first. Hardly noticeable in second. Once it reaches 80ish degrees. Everything is good

Sponsored

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've been experiencing the same issue, as I commented many times in the other thread. Someone else mentioned a possible vacuum leak and I'm wondering if that might be the case of mine.

In my 7MT, when I give it gas (parked or driving) and let go, I get a "click" noise every time I let my foot off the pedal. It kind of sounds like a solenoid opening and closing, aka possible vacuum leak (local Bronco guys said it sound like a vacuum leak). The dealer heard it but couldn't find where it was coming from. Thoughts?

OP
OP
SPITmadFIRE

SPITmadFIRE

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been experiencing the same issue, as I commented many times in the other thread. Someone else mentioned a possible vacuum leak and I'm wondering if that might be the case of mine.

In my 7MT, when I give it gas (parked or driving) and let go, I get a "click" noise every time I let my foot off the pedal. It kind of sounds like a solenoid opening and closing, aka possible vacuum leak (local Bronco guys said it sound like a vacuum leak). The dealer heard it but couldn't find where it was coming from. Thoughts?
Are you sure that click noise isn’t something like the wastegate or BPV opening/closing? If you’re not used to turbo DI cars, there are tons of ticks and clicks that sound odd at first.

DesertMike680

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Are you sure that click noise isn’t something like the wastegate or BPV opening/closing? If you’re not used to turbo DI cars, there are tons of ticks and clicks that sound odd at first.
It's not the bpv. He actually replaced it and it obviously still exists. I'm thinking maybe a wastegate "click" as it makes sense once the gas is let go.

The last turbo DI I had was a 2012 Mazda Speed 3. I can't remember the noises that car made.

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’ve noticed the clunkiness goes away when changing out the transmission fluid but if you’re not close to 30k yet I don’t know if you’d want to even think about changing it out.
What fluid should we use, no need not to change good enough for superior fluid
Sponsored