Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco, ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m convinced this somehow improves fuel economy. I did a drive from Texas to Arizona with the stock muffler and averaged 19-20mpg. I did the same drive with the Thermal R&D exhaust and averaged 16-17mpg. I also drove for a year and a half with the Roush exhaust prior to the drive and averaged 16-17mpg.

Those aftermarket exhausts shouldnā€™t be reducing fuel economy and if anything, they should be improving fuel economy.

Iā€™m hoping someone can explain the science behind the increased back pressure improving fuel economy, even on primarily highway driving.

Willub

Badlands
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m convinced this somehow improves fuel economy. I did a drive from Texas to Arizona with the stock muffler and averaged 19-20mpg. I did the same drive with the Thermal R&D exhaust and averaged 16-17mpg. I also drove for a year and a half with the Roush exhaust prior to the drive and averaged 16-17mpg.

Those aftermarket exhausts shouldnā€™t be reducing fuel economy and if anything, they should be improving fuel economy.

Iā€™m hoping someone can explain the science behind the increased back pressure improving fuel economy, even on primarily highway driving.
A less restrictive exhaust may yield more power/torque at WOT, but can be less efficient when not wide open.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wg3b6r9

OP
OP
Sparkherd

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm getting 21-22 mpg on 93 octane and about 20 on 87 octane, as measured by odometer readings vs gallons filled.
Daily driving. I'm not welding that flapper back in there.