Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love how 20% of the posts on this forum are people removing / cutting off parts that have been engineered for their vehicle yet the person removing them doesn’t have a clue what it does or assume it hasn’t been through a durability test. Lol
Durability testing an a moving part inside a muffler?!?
I can tell you what the results will be.
Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That flapperator is funny ,second mod i did was remove 40 lbs of sideways donkey muffler and put on the outlaw cat back ,good riddance muffulator.

OP
OP
Sparkherd

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That flapperator is funny ,second mod i did was remove 40 lbs of sideways donkey muffler and put on the outlaw cat back ,good riddance muffulator.
I wanna FlowBasterd 'Mercan Thunder, but I don't wanna spend $420 right now for a muffler that's worth about $150.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And more back pressure is always B-A-D.
No it isn't. Try putting a 5"-6" diesel sized exhaust on your Bronco and see how that works out. I personally put a more free flowing exhaust on my truck and due to less back pressure lost some low end torque. Back pressure is not always a bad thing.

These flappers are not new. Been using them for many years. My dad had a car in the 90's with one. I do think it is asking for trouble but if made from a high quality stainless, it should work. Well, they have worked for many, many years. No idea the purpose for this one though but they sure would not add something so complex and pricey if there was no reason for it.

Don't read too much into the MPG Gauge. you just reset it so is not a good sampling to compare to yet. Give it some time to settle in.

Reactions: gwp

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the compooter is always optimistic; last tank it said 20.7, and the maths werked out to 20.48.
I reset it (20.7 MPG) when I reinstalled the moofler, drove to town today, ran some errandos, and came home with this.
Preliminary results are extremely gratifying;

20230307_124334.jpg
lol I can't get that gadget to get past 16 lol

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After 3500 miles I put in a tank of 93 octane, turned off all the MPG stuff, and drove it like I wanted. I went from 17.5 to 19mpg 🤪

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sparkherd

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Don't read too much into the MPG Gauge. you just reset it so is not a good sampling to compare to yet. Give it some time to settle in.
I check gals vs miles vs compootin deevice at every fillup. Computer has been about .5 - 1 MPG optimistic. Which is mucho more accurate than the one in my 2014 Fiesta ST.
I think the Flapadectomy will turn out to be about a 1 MPG improvement, but as a (retired) USAF Operational Tester, I will find out...

bcb1

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Damn. Ford needs to step up their game. It's electronically controlled on my other car.

Pretty solid reasons for it, at least on that car. I suspect the good ol' spring and flap does a somewhat similar purpose on the Bronco? That's a nice way of saying, I really have no idea :ROFLMAO:
  • Flap closed on startup to help warm up the cat's faster.
  • Flap will open itself when the car reaches idle, and will typically open itself when the car is idling.
  • After driving away in either Comfort or Eco Pro, the flap will close, and remain closed unless you give the car hard throttle.
  • The flap will remain open in Sport and Sport+ mode.

Ford Bronco 2.3L Stock Mufflers Flapperectomy 1678455072070

OP
OP
Sparkherd

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ya, like I said in my OP about over-degreed engineers from Mumbai who's hotrodding experience consists solely of Cushman three-wheelers.
And from TFA; "moderately increasing backpressure when it is not detrimental to engine efficiency".
I think my hack job will suffice until I sprang for something like a FlowBasterd 'Mercan Thunder.

Malicar

Badlands
First Name
Jessy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the compooter is always optimistic; last tank it said 20.7, and the maths werked out to 20.48.
I reset it (20.7 MPG) when I reinstalled the moofler, drove to town today, ran some errandos, and came home with this.
Preliminary results are extremely gratifying;

Ford Bronco 2.3L Stock Mufflers Flapperectomy 1678455072070
I struggle to see 16mpg the way I drive 😳
Sponsored