Sponsored

andrusoid

Base
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Outback, '79 2G, '89 3G, '92 5G White!
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Original post 2/6/22: So mine died today at 6200 miles. Build date was 9/7, not sure of the motor info, will take a pic tomorrow.

Failure mode: 65 MPH getting ready to exit the highway. A minor surge, then the motor shut off. No loud noises or anything. No warning lights prior to the shut off. Coasted into a gas station. It will crank but not start. The coolant reservoir is empty, and it smoked like hell out the exhaust for 10 min after I parked it. Acts like a sudden head gasket failure.

Oil level was good, no foam or shiny bits on the dipstick. No puddles or external leakage from sitting overnight.

Pic of the Motor info: (July 28th build date, right in the middle of the suspect range from Post 1 in this thread)
motor info.jpg

Update 1: 2/7/22: The dealer I bought it from informed me this morning (quite rudely) that it would be "late March" before we can look at it if you tow it here". That's going to be a conversation with the Manager later today.

Another local dealer had availability and will hopefully provide info on the initial diagnostic today. They've been great to communicate with so far, but since I didn't buy there I'm worried my priority will be lower to them.

The pic below is with it not running, just post failure. It look like it sent the coolant into the exhaust and this is it flashing off.
0F109FFC-317A-4935-9B54-8F5489918BAE.jpeg
Well that sucks the drain pipe dry. Sorry to hear, hope you get a quick resolution. Mine's been in a body shop for 2 months exactly as of today, but I'm told it should be ready this week. Flying out to California to pick it up and drive back to Nashville.
Sponsored

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sadly, your engine code is in the danger zone. 1700 miles I think was your last update. My engine code is ouside the known EBD’s yet I have an emergency kit in my Bronco. Including the warmest down parka I have. Having an emergency kit will reduce anxiety, as well as checking the Broncos fluid levels. But Ford has to act now!

I hope Ford steps up before you have an EBD.
At almost 3500 miles now. Always lived by the old boy scout mantra of "be prepared." I've found the only time you need something is when you don't have it! Tow straps etc. always in the back. even tell the fam to just throw in a thick coat for anything beyond driving around town. You don't want to wait inside the car on a two lane mountain road with no shoulder you know.

If it was just me I wouldn't worry. I've had this happen more times than I can count. Heck, I've had to hoof it over 15 miles before! It's when I'm not the driver that it makes me worry. These things happen but experience makes it easier. I'm going to be real pissed if I miss the majority of the summer with my Bronco in the shop! Literally won't feel confident until one of these happens 1.) Ford issues a recall and it gets new parts 2.) It breaks down and I get a replacement out of the failed date window 3.) I trade it in for a Bronco Raptor!

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes, but the 3.5 is the king engine in the F150. The 2.7 is a unicorn around here.
Ya, it would be hard to compare the 3.5 directly to any of the other EB motors (although a similar design philosophy), even comparing the 3.5 Gen I to the 3.5 Gen II would be foolish as the changes are substantial.

It seems even with the 3.5 Gen I motor, it was feast or famine. Many were extremely reliable and many were not. I haven't seen a ton of middle ground.

I hope that I got lucky on my 2.7, but it bothers me to know that it may fail at the worst possible time while off-road, perhaps while negotiating a steep incline or decline, and to not have the ability to control the vehicles travel sufficiently to avoid a significantly bad outcome. So far, I have had a nearly problem free experience (probably because it was built on a Thursday), but who knows how long that will last.

I have invested in a flat-tow setup, so at least I can recover it with my F-150 should I need to. Initially, I was planning to put the winch in the Bronco, but now, it's going in the F-150. At least I will be able to hopefully pull the Bronco out whenever she dies a noble death.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At almost 3500 miles now. Always lived by the old boy scout mantra of "be prepared." I've found the only time you need something is when you don't have it! Tow straps etc. always in the back. even tell the fam to just throw in a thick coat for anything beyond driving around town. You don't want to wait inside the car on a two lane mountain road with no shoulder you know.

If it was just me I wouldn't worry. I've had this happen more times than I can count. Heck, I've had to hoof it over 15 miles before! It's when I'm not the driver that it makes me worry. These things happen but experience makes it easier. I'm going to be real pissed if I miss the majority of the summer with my Bronco in the shop! Literally won't feel confident until one of these happens 1.) Ford issues a recall and it gets new parts 2.) It breaks down and I get a replacement out of the failed date window 3.) I trade it in for a Bronco Raptor!
I hope Ford decides to be proactive and saves you from having your Bronco in the shop this spring/summer. 3,500 miles with no issues could be a good sign for all of us. But a new head is probably the only thing that would reduce EB anxiety.

Last edited:

Lance103222

First Edition
First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F250, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
To those of us that have suffered catastrophic engine failures with our new 2.7 Broncos, please call the NHTSA 1(888)327-4236 and file a complaint. All you will need is your VIN handy and about 5 minutes. It is for our own protection and to help protect our fellow Bronco enthusiast. Bronco6G has a list of over 30 failed engines, yet I was just the third to report it to the NHTSA. Please do the right thing and make the call.

Once you get your 8 digit complaint/confirmation number, you can email the investigative body of NHTSA at [email protected] and send what ever details or photos you think might help. I will attach mine below.

We all paid handsomely for our new Bronco's, we need to hold Ford Motor's feet to the fire and insure they do right by all of us.

________

Hello,
I am Lance ######, I just called in a report of my new 2021 Ford Bronco. On Dec 23, 2021, the new Bronco suffered a catastrophic engine failure. (See attached photo of a list of items reported by the servicing dealer) I was on a city road when I came to a stop at a stop light, when the light turned green, I took my foot off the break, the engine sputtered and died.

I later shared my woes on an online Bronco forum, Bronco6G.com, that is when I learned there are over 30 other members of that forum that also have a 2.7 liter 2021 Bronco that are reporting the same issue. Last night, I read on Motortrend.com that only two other 2021 Bronco's with the 2.7 have reported the issue to you. I guess I am now the third but there are many dozens more that need to still report their cases.

NHTSA case number 11450788
VIN 1FMDE5FP3MLA20375

bronco diagnostic.jpeg

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To those of us that have suffered catastrophic engine failures with our new 2.7 Broncos, please call the NHTSA 1(888)327-4236 and file a complaint. All you will need is your VIN handy and about 5 minutes. It is for our own protection and to help protect our fellow Bronco enthusiast. Bronco6G has a list of over 30 failed engines, yet I was just the third to report it to the NHTSA. Please do the right thing and make the call.

Once you get your 8 digit complaint/confirmation number, you can email the investigative body of NHTSA at [email protected] and send what ever details or photos you think might help. I will attach mine below.

We all paid handsomely for our new Bronco's, we need to hold Ford Motor's feet to the fire and insure they do right by all of us.

________

Hello,
I am Lance ######, I just called in a report of my new 2021 Ford Bronco. On Dec 23, 2021, the new Bronco suffered a catastrophic engine failure. (See attached photo of a list of items reported by the servicing dealer) I was on a city road when I came to a stop at a stop light, when the light turned green, I took my foot off the break, the engine sputtered and died.

I later shared my woes on an online Bronco forum, Bronco6G.com, that is when I learned there are over 30 other members of that forum that also have a 2.7 liter 2021 Bronco that are reporting the same issue. Last night, I read on Motortrend.com that only two other 2021 Bronco's with the 2.7 have reported the issue to you. I guess I am now the third but there are many dozens more that need to still report their cases.

NHTSA case number 11450788
VIN 1FMDE5FP3MLA20375

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] bronco diagnostic
You did the right thing. Thank you!

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape SE FWD and 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Driving.ca has picked up on this too (and also indicated the point about the low number of NHTSA reports so you folks gotta report!)

Bucking Broncos: Engine hiccups affect some examples of Ford’s new 4x4”

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thats assuming it is the same type problem as opposed to a random, unrelated issue. Either way, not good!

ShockerRacing

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler & 2020 Gladiator Rubicons
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ugh, I just realized my engine is 7 engines after the latest blown motor 😬. I just picked up a Whipple Tuner but now I’m afraid of installing it and then ending up with a bad motor.

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ugh, I just realized my engine is 7 engines after the latest blown motor 😬. I just picked up a Whipple Tuner but now I’m afraid of installing it and then ending up with a bad motor.
that would be a warranty concern for sure.

Sponsored

ATLUTDFAN

First Edition
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Yeah. Not fun knowing the motor may be a ticking time bomb. Drove it about 25 miles today, tried not to think about it.

I have to drive it back to Atlanta tomorrow (115 miles). If it makes it I will seriously consider parking the Bronco for a month or two.

Made it home to Atlanta with out blowing up. Got 2165 miles. I guess it may sit until spring and see if we can get any word of a fix.

I don't need a car daily and we have two others so not worried about parking the Bronco for a little while.

Last edited:

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5