Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2/11 Update: Its official, the motor is blown. Service Writer called me this morning, a long block is on (back) order, estimated in house here in Knoxville at the end of Feb. He has only gone as far into diagnostics as required by Ford to warranty the motor. Given how swamped they are I don't expect an autopsy report, or specific details on valves, cylinder info, etc except what may be required by Ford to cover repairs. If they provide me more info I'll share here. I will file with the NHTSA today. https://www.nhtsa.gov/

Original post 2/6/22: So mine died today at 6620 miles (corrected today). Blend date was 9/7, Motor Julian is 21209.

Failure mode: 65 MPH getting ready to exit the highway. A minor surge, then the motor shut off. No loud noises or anything. No warning lights prior to the shut off. Coasted into a gas station. It will crank but not start. The coolant reservoir is empty, and it smoked like hell out the exhaust for 10 min after I parked it. Acts like a sudden head gasket failure, but looks very similar to what I'm reading about here.

Oil level was good, no foam or shiny bits on the dipstick. No puddles or external leakage from sitting overnight.

Pic of the Motor info: (July 28th build date, right in the middle of the suspect range from Post 1 in this thread)
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] motor info

Update 1: 2/7/22: The dealer I bought it from informed me this morning (quite rudely) that it would be "late March" before we can look at it if you tow it here". That's going to be a conversation with the Manager later today.

Another local dealer had availability and will hopefully provide info on the initial diagnostic today. They've been great to communicate with so far, but since I didn't buy there I'm worried my priority will be lower to them.

The pic below is with it not running, just post failure. It looks like it sent the coolant into the exhaust and this is it flashing off. There was residual coolant all over the muffler, tailpipe, and bumper aggresivly smoking. I was afraid it was on fire until I confirmed it was all coming off the exhaust internally.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 0F109FFC-317A-4935-9B54-8F5489918BAE
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Whoa

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So mine died today at 6200 miles. Build date was 9/7, not sure of the motor info, will take a pic tomorrow.

Failure mode: 65 MPH getting ready to exit the highway. A minor surge, then the motor shut off. No loud noises or anything. No warning lights prior to the shut off. Coasted into a gas station. It will crank but not start. The coolant reservoir is empty, and it smoked like hell out the exhaust for 10 min after I parked it. Acts like a sudden head gasket failure. I didnt check the oil but will tomorrow before it’s towed.

I will provide updates once the dealer gets it.

The pic below is with it off, obviously it sent the coolant into the exhaust and this is it flashing off.
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 0F109FFC-317A-4935-9B54-8F5489918BAE
Sorry to hear. This is my exact blend date.

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So mine died today at 6200 miles. Build date was 9/7, not sure of the motor info, will take a pic tomorrow.

Failure mode: 65 MPH getting ready to exit the highway. A minor surge, then the motor shut off. No loud noises or anything. No warning lights prior to the shut off. Coasted into a gas station. It will crank but not start. The coolant reservoir is empty, and it smoked like hell out the exhaust for 10 min after I parked it. Acts like a sudden head gasket failure. I didnt check the oil but will tomorrow before it’s towed.

The pic below is with it off, obviously it sent the coolant into the exhaust and this is it flashing off.
Sickening. Sorry, and hope @Ford Motor Company is seeing this.

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1644250861078

Last edited:

ATLUTDFAN

First Edition
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I wish you the best, but you do know that typically the engines blow right about where you're at?
Yeah. Not fun knowing the motor may be a ticking time bomb. Drove it about 25 miles today, tried not to think about it.

I have to drive it back to Atlanta tomorrow (115 miles). If it makes it I will seriously consider parking the Bronco for a month or two.

smooretexas

Badlands
First Name
Sara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco ETA: ????
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Two days ago I noticed a burning smell while driving. Kind of smells like bbq or wood burning inside the cabin. I have had my bronco 3 wks (after being stuck in production for 3 months), it’s has a little over 700 miles on it. Unfortunately I looked up my engine and it falls within the dates you have listed. Calling the service department tomorrow to hopefully figure out what’s going on. Anyone else smell a burning while driving before the engine failures? It’s not constant, it comes and goes but it is very noticeable.

CCFFB4DD-DA09-4A70-80BA-4B61972ACFCF.jpeg

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] CCFFB4DD-DA09-4A70-80BA-4B61972ACFCF
Damn... That sucks...

Ford - "Did you take it through a car wash or wax it? Probably failed due to water ingestion - warranty claim denied." ;)

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah. Not fun knowing the motor may be a ticking time bomb. Drove it about 25 miles today, tried not to think about it.

I have to drive it back to Atlanta tomorrow (115 miles). If it makes it I will seriously consider parking the Bronco for a month or two.
Pretty safe to assume that they are all potentially ticking time bombs without any reliable information coming from Ford.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
21172 here too. 6600 miles. Hoping Monday was a good day!
lol, I wonder how the "clear" days mean anything.
Like, did the employee who tokes on the job have those days off, or did they pull valves from the one good box that day? 🤣
Sponsored