Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My
Engine was built nov 15 why don’t ford issue a recall so we can get our vehicles in instead of breaking down on the road and not only blowing the engine but destroying 2 turbos in the process. Seems it would be cheaper if they just issued the recall
Financially a full recall just doesn't make sense unless Ford already believes a huge percentage will fail.

By definition, there are 2 orders of magnitude difference at 1% replacement (fixing broken) vs. 100 % replacement (recall). This is just an example - no one knows the true failure percentage and we won't for a long time.

I'm going to use fictional numbers here so I don't get crucified - just an exercise. And if you don't like these back of the envelop exercises please just keep scrolling...

Let's assume 50,000 engines at a cost of $5K parts and labor (cost to Ford - not price to you - and just an estimate)

recall all: 50,000 x $5K = $250,000,000
fix 1% when they break: 500 x $5K = $2,500,000

Of course they have to value in lots of other stuff (value of human loss if a safety issue, reputation, loss of new customers, etc.).

Better question was asked earlier: would they just recall the valves? Probably not financially competitive with just replacing 1% of all engines, but maybe a good hedge for them. I don't know what those parts cost but assuming intake, 2 per cylinder, 12 overall and probably 2-3 hours of labor? Someone who has done this repair would have to comment if that's a reasonable estimate.

12 valves at $100 apiece = $1200
3 hours labor ($125 x 3 = $375)
$1575 per vehicle x 50,000 = $78,750,000

All numbers are just for perspective since so many people are clamoring for a recall. I think it all comes down to how much liability is on the road for Ford.
Sponsored

Mean Red GT

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 Door Badlands/2016 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I did a little research when I got some time today. Here's some of what I cyphered:

Complete cyl head assy: ML3Z-6049-K LH, ML3Z-6049-J RH. no need to compare w/F150, you can see from the prefix those are Bronco only

Ex valve: JT4Z-6505-A
Valve spring: FT4Z-6513-A
Keeper: FT4Z-6518-A
Lock: FT4Z-6514-A
Rocker: FT4Z-6564-C
Lifter: BR3Z-6500-A

Got all those #s from repair link, thats when it got interesting...no intake valve listed! So I called my local parts dept that I buy from regularly. The guy I got i know I've talked to before, and is knowledgeable. Gave him the last 8 and asked for intake valve part #. 1st he asked me "this isn't one of those 2.7s that blew up is it?" Which I asked him "have u guys seen any of these?" He said "WE haven't, but I've heard about it" anyhow, his system didn't show a part # for an intake valve either...just an engineering #. The engineering # doesn't lead anywhere, but if he crosses it manually it comes back as FT4Z-6507-A.

The only PN I had him cross over to F150 was the exhaust valve, and they are the same, so the $64k question? Are the failed 2.7 valves all intakes? Don't know we will ever get a clear answer to that, but it sounds like they used a different intake valve and there was a manufacturing issue...heat treat etc. The service PN may be on hold till they decide how to address the issue...revert to previous parts, or trust the new intake valve manufacturer to fix the issue.
Wow yeah very interesting does really make you think there has been a change for that part in some way. Nice detective work!

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Someone could start a Google spreadsheet for this forum where we add a row for each user, their engine build date, and mileage. If we can get people to occasionally update their mileage (I.e every 1000 miles) That may help us eventually see a failure rate.

I would do this, but I’m not sure how to host the Google spreadsheet publicly.

Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, the thought now is that engine version AB will have been fixed? Just my two cents. If it is valve train related, it would seem to me that Ford would recall the engine to the shop to fix the problem. I know, this has been said before but honestly, for this kind of failure, a blown engine is not the only concern for Bronco owners. Do you know how cold it gets in Alberta Canada where I live? We have already had temperatures well into the negative 30 C range. (that's -22F). Two winters ago, traffic was stopped on the Trans Canada Highway 1 for 18 hours in the middle of a blizzard. Imagine being in a Bronco for 18 hours, without heat. Yikes!

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So, the thought now is that engine version AB will have been fixed? Just my two cents. If it is valve train related, it would seem to me that Ford would recall the engine to the shop to fix the problem. I know, this has been said before but honestly, for this kind of failure, a blown engine is not the only concern for Bronco owners. Do you know how cold it gets in Alberta Canada where I live? We have already had temperatures well into the negative 30 C range. (that's -22F). Two winters ago, traffic was stopped on the Trans Canada Highway 1 for 18 hours in the middle of a blizzard. Imagine being in a Bronco for 18 hours, without heat. Yikes!
I am not sure nor is anyone else at this time. And is the AB the 2022 model year which mine is? Meaning the 2022 year gets a AB run motor but its just the AA only the AB classifies it as a 22?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
it would seem to me that Ford would recall the engine to the shop to fix the problem.
From your lips to Ford's ears :)

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same I got 615 on mine lol took delivery dec 17 with 3 miles on it

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am not sure nor is anyone else at this time. And is the AB the 2022 model year which mine is? Meaning the 2022 year gets a AB run motor but its just the AA only the AB classifies it as a 22?
Mine's a MY22 that's an AB and a date of December 20, 2021. Picked it up this weekend and have only 350 miles on it. 🤞
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG-5601

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gasmcookie

Wildtrak
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Financially a full recall just doesn't make sense unless Ford already believes a huge percentage will fail.

By definition, there are 2 orders of magnitude difference at 1% replacement (fixing broken) vs. 100 % replacement (recall). This is just an example - no one knows the true failure percentage and we won't for a long time.

I'm going to use fictional numbers here so I don't get crucified - just an exercise. And if you don't like these back of the envelop exercises please just keep scrolling...

Let's assume 50,000 engines at a cost of $5K parts and labor (cost to Ford - not price to you - and just an estimate)

recall all: 50,000 x $5K = $250,000,000
fix 1% when they break: 500 x $5K = $2,500,000

Of course they have to value in lots of other stuff (value of human loss if a safety issue, reputation, loss of new customers, etc.).

Better question was asked earlier: would they just recall the valves? Probably not financially competitive with just replacing 1% of all engines, but maybe a good hedge for them. I don't know what those parts cost but assuming intake, 2 per cylinder, 12 overall and probably 2-3 hours of labor? Someone who has done this repair would have to comment if that's a reasonable estimate.

12 valves at $100 apiece = $1200
3 hours labor ($125 x 3 = $375)
$1575 per vehicle x 50,000 = $78,750,000

All numbers are just for perspective since so many people are clamoring for a recall. I think it all comes down to how much liability is on the road for Ford.
As an MBA- taking into consideration this is based of mental math. You're 100% right. There's a reason why people make 6-7 figures a year doing exactly what you just did- but with highly accurate forecasting and research data.

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
ok, so if Ford is unlikely to pony up lol, for a recall, it seems to me there is no way in hell they would release any data/statements about engine failures.
That would leave us twisting in the wind indefinitely, adding our failed build numbers for little benefit.
Sponsored